Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Are our VA CHP's honored in SC?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    227

    Post imported post

    So I'm wondering if our VA chp's are honored in SC? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to verify. The reason I'm curious is this is the first site I looked at.
    http://www.carryconcealed.net/southcarolina

    They claim VA honors SC permits, but doesn't say anything about SC honoring VA permits. So then I went to the VA state police website to see what they had to say.
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

    It says they have written reciprocity with South Carolina.

    I wanted to make sure that this didn't just mean they honored the permits from SC here. So I went to the South Carolina web page.
    http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

    It also says they have reciprocity with VA. So this really sounds like that those of us from VA with chp's can carry in SC. I just wanted to verify this since the first site didn't say list VA on the list of permits that SC honored.

  2. #2
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    SC honors Va resident permits only.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  3. #3
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    Try www.handgunlaw.us. They are usually very current on state carry laws.

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    www.usacarry.com is the better site.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201

  6. #6
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    What is the purpose of states restricting out-of-state permit holders to residents of those state permits only? If the process is the same, what difference could it make?

    TFred


  7. #7
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    SC, CO, MI, NH and FL are like that, all pretty pro-gun states, but their carry laws are phrased in this restrictive way. I know in Michigan this is specifically the case. Noone intended for this consequence, but this is how the law was written, and there is no appetite to change it now. In fact, Colorado recently changed its law to only recognize resident permits.Both Florida and New Hampshire are weird, since they issue non-resident permits, but only recognize resident permits themselves (or their own non-resident). Who said this has to make sense?

  8. #8
    Regular Member virginiatuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    What is the purpose of states restricting out-of-state permit holders to residents of those state permits only? If the process is the same, what difference could it make?

    TFred
    West Virginia did that, then the legislature saw the err of their ways and changed it.

    It's probably because some people perceive a potential for abuses; such as a person obtaining a non-resident permit from another state in order to circumvent a law or circumstance which prevents that person from obtaining a permit from their home state. They might see that practice as suspicious as though the person may be "playing the system."

    They may not realize that some people can not obtain a permit in their home state simply because their state does not issue permits or only issues permits to special classes of people.

    Just thoughts... I don't really know their reasoning. Whatever it is, I don't agree with it.

    At least SC will issue permits to non-residents. That *almost* excuses their policy. Places like CO, however, are the worst because they don't issue non-resident permits *and* they only honor resident permits. So in CO, it's OC only for a Virginia resident.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    gis wrote:
    SC, CO, MI, NH and FL are like that, all pretty pro-gun states, but their carry laws are phrased in this restrictive way. I know in Michigan this is specifically the case. Noone intended for this consequence, but this is how the law was written, and there is no appetite to change it now. In fact, Colorado recently changed its law to only recognize resident permits.Both Florida and New Hampshire are weird, since they issue non-resident permits, but only recognize resident permits themselves (or their own non-resident). Who said this has to make sense?
    I'm sure it does to someone, but not me. If Colorado recently changed to add that restriction, I would think there would be some recent recollection on what the pro-side arguments were for that. Maybe the answer is in the Colorado forum.

    TFred


  10. #10
    Regular Member gis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    264

    Post imported post

    virginiatuck wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    What is the purpose of states restricting out-of-state permit holders to residents of those state permits only? If the process is the same, what difference could it make?

    TFred
    West Virginia did that, then the legislature saw the err of their ways and changed it.

    It's probably because some people perceive a potential for abuses; such as a person obtaining a non-resident permit from another state in order to circumvent a law or circumstance which prevents that person from obtaining a permit from their home state. They might see that practice as suspicious as though the person may be "playing the system."

    They may not realize that some people can not obtain a permit in their home state simply because their state does not issue permits or only issues permits to special classes of people.

    Just thoughts... I don't really know their reasoning. Whatever it is, I don't agree with it.

    At least SC will issue permits to non-residents. That *almost* excuses their policy. Places like CO, however, are the worst because they don't issue non-resident permits *and* they only honor resident permits. So in CO, it's OC only for a Virginia resident.
    Michigan is also bad in that respect. They don't issue non-resident permits themselves, but only recognize resident ones. They do, however, recognize any resident permit issued by any authority in the U.S. or any foreign country. Go figure. So, if you are a MD resident with a VA non-resident permit, you would be out of luck.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201

    Post imported post

    TFred the change wasn't all that recent. It occurred in 2006 or 2007.

    BTW, South Carolina does not issue non-resident permits as a general rule, however, permitting is allowed in a few cases in which a person retains part year residency or owns land in SC.

  12. #12
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    jmelvin wrote:
    TFred the change wasn't all that recent. It occurred in 2006 or 2007.
    For some of us that are getting creaky in the joints, that's still defined as recent.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201

    Post imported post

    I'd call it recent too, but it may have predated postings here on OCDO (I don't know when OCDO started), so I was trying to keep him from searching the OCDO forumin vain.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    I don't know when or if the residiency requirement was changed in SC but it was before 2006. In 2008 they had the chance to make the change but dur to a urinating contest it wound up remaining a part of the law as it is interpreted. It does not specifically say but is taken as meaning only resident permits.

    Any non-resident who can show a property tax receipt from SC or anyone in the military can get a CWP in SC. Several people have talked about subdividing one acre of land into one square foot plots but the filing fees would be too high. Just buy you a condo at the beach and rent it out. Make money and become eligible for a permit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •