• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are our VA CHP's honored in SC?

hometheaterman

imported post

So I'm wondering if our VA chp's are honored in SC? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to verify. The reason I'm curious is this is the first site I looked at.
http://www.carryconcealed.net/southcarolina

They claim VA honors SC permits, but doesn't say anything about SC honoring VA permits. So then I went to the VA state police website to see what they had to say.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

It says they have written reciprocity with South Carolina.

I wanted to make sure that this didn't just mean they honored the permits from SC here. So I went to the South Carolina web page.
http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

It also says they have reciprocity with VA. So this really sounds like that those of us from VA with chp's can carry in SC. I just wanted to verify this since the first site didn't say list VA on the list of permits that SC honored.

TFred

imported post

What is the purpose of states restricting out-of-state permit holders to residents of those state permits only? If the process is the same, what difference could it make?

TFred

gis

imported post

SC, CO, MI, NH and FL are like that, all pretty pro-gun states, but their carry laws are phrased in this restrictive way. I know in Michigan this is specifically the case. Noone intended for this consequence, but this is how the law was written, and there is no appetite to change it now. In fact, Colorado recently changed its law to only recognize resident permits.Both Florida and New Hampshire are weird, since they issue non-resident permits, but only recognize resident permits themselves (or their own non-resident). Who said this has to make sense? :D

virginiatuck

imported post

TFred wrote:
What is the purpose of states restricting out-of-state permit holders to residents of those state permits only? If the process is the same, what difference could it make?

TFred
West Virginia did that, then the legislature saw the err of their ways and changed it.

It's probably because some people perceive a potential for abuses; such as a person obtaining a non-resident permit from another state in order to circumvent a law or circumstance which prevents that person from obtaining a permit from their home state. They might see that practice as suspicious as though the person may be "playing the system."

They may not realize that some people can not obtain a permit in their home state simply because their state does not issue permits or only issues permits to special classes of people.

Just thoughts... I don't really know their reasoning. Whatever it is, I don't agree with it. :)

At least SC will issue permits to non-residents. That *almost* excuses their policy. Places like CO, however, are the worst because they don't issue non-resident permits *and* they only honor resident permits. So in CO, it's OC only for a Virginia resident.

TFred

imported post

gis wrote:
SC, CO, MI, NH and FL are like that, all pretty pro-gun states, but their carry laws are phrased in this restrictive way. I know in Michigan this is specifically the case. Noone intended for this consequence, but this is how the law was written, and there is no appetite to change it now. In fact, Colorado recently changed its law to only recognize resident permits.Both Florida and New Hampshire are weird, since they issue non-resident permits, but only recognize resident permits themselves (or their own non-resident). Who said this has to make sense? :D
I'm sure it does to someone, but not me. If Colorado recently changed to add that restriction, I would think there would be some recent recollection on what the pro-side arguments were for that. Maybe the answer is in the Colorado forum.

TFred

gis

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
West Virginia did that, then the legislature saw the err of their ways and changed it.

It's probably because some people perceive a potential for abuses; such as a person obtaining a non-resident permit from another state in order to circumvent a law or circumstance which prevents that person from obtaining a permit from their home state. They might see that practice as suspicious as though the person may be "playing the system."

They may not realize that some people can not obtain a permit in their home state simply because their state does not issue permits or only issues permits to special classes of people.

Just thoughts... I don't really know their reasoning. Whatever it is, I don't agree with it. :)

At least SC will issue permits to non-residents. That *almost* excuses their policy. Places like CO, however, are the worst because they don't issue non-resident permits *and* they only honor resident permits. So in CO, it's OC only for a Virginia resident.
Michigan is also bad in that respect. They don't issue non-resident permits themselves, but only recognize resident ones. They do, however, recognize any resident permit issued by any authority in the U.S. or any foreign country. Go figure. So, if you are a MD resident with a VA non-resident permit, you would be out of luck.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred the change wasn't all that recent. It occurred in 2006 or 2007.

BTW, South Carolina does not issue non-resident permits as a general rule, however, permitting is allowed in a few cases in which a person retains part year residency or owns land in SC.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd call it recent too, but it may have predated postings here on OCDO (I don't know when OCDO started), so I was trying to keep him from searching the OCDO forumin vain.

PT111

imported post

I don't know when or if the residiency requirement was changed in SC but it was before 2006. In 2008 they had the chance to make the change but dur to a urinating contest it wound up remaining a part of the law as it is interpreted. It does not specifically say but is taken as meaning only resident permits.

Any non-resident who can show a property tax receipt from SC or anyone in the military can get a CWP in SC. Several people have talked about subdividing one acre of land into one square foot plots but the filing fees would be too high. Just buy you a condo at the beach and rent it out. Make money and become eligible for a permit. ;)