• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does § 18.2-308 limit a person to exactly one handgun?

user

Accomplished Advocate
I have a client who has been participating in courses under the supervision of the Va. State Police, Department of Criminal Justice Services. Someone during the course of these classes has asserted that Va. Code § 18.2-308 permits a concealed carry permit holder to be in possession of one, and only one, handgun. The reasoning is apparently from the use of the word, "a", coupled with the noun in the singular form in the code section:

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.
D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply ... for a five-year permit
to carry a concealed handgun.

This is just plain wrong. There is a basic rule of construction that says that where a number or enumeration is required in order for criminal penalties to attach, it must be stated explicitly. This is related to the concept that a penal statute must be strictly construed against the Commonwealth. So where a statute says, "one and only one" or "not more than two" or some such thing, that's a clear limitation as to number. But the word, "a", is merely a part of speech, a definite article, and not a specification of number. But for people who are still unpersuaded, consider these statutes:

§ 1-218. Includes.
"Includes" means includes, but not limited to.

and

§ 1-227. Number.
A word used in the singular includes the plural and a word used in the
plural includes the singular.

Since the latter definition "includes" the word, "includes", the singular and the plural both include any other concept of enumeration that one might imagine, a realm beyond dimensionality!

The bottom line is that a concealed carry permit holder can have anywhere from zero to as many guns as he can carry. ("To infinity, and beyond!") He is not, repeat, not limited to exactly one handgun.

TFred

imported post

Thank you for your post!

I suppose the icing on the cake would be to find some other law, unrelated at all, where a similar construction could be seen to be an obvious similar meaning of one or more.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but it would be good to keep an eye out for something like that.

TFred

Dreamer

imported post

By the definition of the statute, the only way this person th eOP is talking about could be right would be if an individual had multiple firearms that were IDENTICAL. Because then you would have "a" firearm that was actually "multiple" firearms at the same time. And the only way that could happen would be if they were identical--down to the serial numbers--and THAT would be illegal...

Each firearm is "a" firearm, and a unique object, because modern firearms are all serialized.

We recently had an article appear in an online edition of a newspaper here in NC that made the same assertion, based on the same faulty logic--and the writer got the info from a local LEO.

Knowledge is generally a good thing. But a LITTLE knowledge can be dangerous...

Almost every person I know who carries daily "doubles up"--INCLUDING most LEOs. In NC, it's the same as VA--you can carry as many (or as few) as you are capable of carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
user wrote:
He is not, repeat, not limited to exactly one handgun.
One thing I absolutely LOVE about user's post is he never says IANAL
I have a great appreciation for his insight and expertise.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

Blame Fairfax County. According to their signs posted in the courthouse near the civil intake window it's still a concealed weapons permit (even though the people there use the proper terminology).

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Thank you for your kind comments.

One thing I left out, and should have stated: Title 1 of the Code, from which the definition of "number" is taken, applies to everything in the entire code. Notice the section number starts with "1-"; that means that code section is in Title 1. That's the sort of general and administrative part that applies to any question of law thatis not spelled out specifically somewhere else.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

user wrote:
jegoodin wrote:
Today I was carrying 3 "a" handguns, 1 open and 2 concealed.
And I'll bet each and every one of them was "a" handgun!
So, if the VA Court of Appeals rules on my case, I can say "a judge ruled on my case"? Each and every judge on the panel is "a judge." :):p

simmonsjoe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
By the definition of the statute, the only way this person th eOP is talking about could be right would be if an individual had multiple firearms that were IDENTICAL. Because then you would have "a" firearm that was actually "multiple" firearms at the same time. And the only way that could happen would be if they were identical--down to the serial numbers--and THAT would be illegal...

Each firearm is "a" firearm, and a unique object, because modern firearms are all serialized.

We recently had an article appear in an online edition of a newspaper here in NC that made the same assertion, based on the same faulty logic--and the writer got the info from a local LEO.

Knowledge is generally a good thing. But a LITTLE knowledge can be dangerous...

Almost every person I know who carries daily "doubles up"--INCLUDING most LEOs. In NC, it's the same as VA--you can carry as many (or as few) as you are capable of carrying.
They would have to individually be firearms, AND collectively be a different firearm. So unless your concealing those robots that form a bigger robot your OK. And if you ARE concealing robots-that-make-bigger-robots, nobody is gonna argue with you anyway.:celebrate