• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keep your guns out of kids reach reminder, 3 yr old passed away today

nrepuyan

imported post

LMTD wrote:

it's hard to keep guns out of the reach of your children when you aren't even aware that they are in your own home...hate to say it, but as sad as it is...this is irresponsibility on the parental units part for being careless in knowing what is going on in their own dwelling.

unfortunate way to learn a lesson...

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Yeah the story is still breaking and it will be hard to know the truth until it all unfolds. My comment is directed at the "boyfriend" whom lived there. Closets have never been a good way to keep firearms from children, they are very curious and until they are taught, the guns should be secured better than that.

I am not blaming the parent, but as the father of 3, I have opted for a safe, I know you already know why.

peterarthur

imported post

So damn heartbreaking. How the hell do you "forget" to take a gun with you? I feel so bad for the mom but how did she not know her "boyfriend" had a gun? So many parents of children forget to be careful about having boyfriends or girlfriends that they do not know so well in their houses with access to their children and possibly introducing unknown dangers. I know this sounds like armchair quarterbacking but there is a reason that we do not EVER have guests spend the night unless we know them for a very long time and even then we control their access to the house and never leave our children alone with them and on and on and on. You can never be too careful. I just want to cry, a 3 year old boy... That is why I teach my boys almost every day about gun safety. This makes me so sick to my stomach. I cannot even imagine what the mother is thinking right now... sadly, accidental death rates for african-american children is double that of other children which coincides almost exactly with the illegitimate birth rate and lack of male role models in the home. It is a fact that men are more likely to teach children about guns and related safety issues so make sure to remind your lady friends that have guns and no spouse to train those kids... and don't bother with the hate mail, this is all statistically proven time and again over the last 30 years by hundreds of studies...

Marc

imported post

Well just my opinion, (although it wouldn't help in this case due to the child's age) but I believe gun safety should be a federal requirement to be taught in school beginning in kindergarten. Now before arguing the point think about this scenario: Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Liberal do not believe in guns so do not own guns or teach little Johnny gun safety. One day little Johnny goes to friends house and this friends daddy has a loaded pistol on a shelf in the closet. Johnny's friend might know to leave it alone but Johnny never was taught that so he's curious and picks the gun up..... I don't think i need to go further for ya to get my point. That's why i would fully support gun safety from kindergarten on up. If i had kids they would learn it much earlier than school age but as u know all to often parents wont teach them until its too late. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Carnivore

imported post

This isnot the schools problem!! or the federal governments problem !! I would never approve of an outside influence to teach my kids a lot of things.. The subject of gunsafety and 3 year olds isn't even a topic, The owner of the firearm should be charged with some sort of Negligent Homicide !! this is a very sad occurance, the three yr. old was no more responsible for understanding firearms safety than how to identify a Garter snake from a Rattle snake. The Parent and boyfriend are solely responsible. Boyfriend to Jail and never able to posess a firearm again, and the mother will have her own demons to deal with the rest of her life !

nrepuyan

imported post

Marc wrote:
Well just my opinion, (although it wouldn't help in this case due to the child's age) but I believe gun safety should be a federal requirement to be taught in school beginning in kindergarten. Now before arguing the point think about this scenario: Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Liberal do not believe in guns so do not own guns or teach little Johnny gun safety. One day little Johnny goes to friends house and this friends daddy has a loaded pistol on a shelf in the closet. Johnny's friend might know to leave it alone but Johnny never was taught that so he's curious and picks the gun up..... I don't think i need to go further for ya to get my point. That's why i would fully support gun safety from kindergarten on up. If i had kids they would learn it much earlier than school age but as u know all to often parents wont teach them until its too late. Thats my 2 cents worth.

fine example of folks expecting the GOVERNMENT to do their jobs as PARENTS. no one wants to take responsibility and teach anyone anything else...it should just be the governments responsibility....kinda like free health insurance too eh?

please...:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:

peterarthur

imported post

nrepuyan wrote:
Marc wrote:

fine example of folks expecting the GOVERNMENT to do their jobs as PARENTS. no one wants to take responsibility and teach anyone anything else...it should just be the governments responsibility....kinda like free health insurance too eh?

please...:banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:
It almost sounds like you advocate survival of the fittest ;) Parents too dumb or lazy to train their kids should have their gene pool reduced? I know that sounds harsh but look what modern healthcare has given us: the ability to survive childhood diseases so we can procreate and pass on those weak genes. Hey I have kids and I would do anything to keep them alive. But the loss of the physically or mentally weak DOES benefit the species as a whole... if you hold to certain types of philosophies about mankind. I am NOT expressing opinion or desire, just commenting...

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I think Marc's point is that it would be better for the schools to teach gun safety than to participate in gun panic like kicking kids out of school for coloring a picture of a firearm or wearing a glock polo shirt.

If one truly understands the issues of gun safety and the simple fact that some folks are idiots, there is nothing wrong with the schools teaching gun safety courses, beats the crap out of the government trying to eliminate guns over such issues.

As it sits right now, schools do in fact teach gun safety, unfortunately the message they teach is one of fear and panic instead of responsible training.

Carnivore

imported post

It would be interesting to know if the pistol was a legal purchase? How long a time frame had passed from the time the boyfriend moved out until the gun was fired? If a legitimate amount of time passed since the move did the boyfriend make an effort to locate the missing/lost pistol by contacting the mother of the child or police? Lots of factors to consider while I consider tying a noose .

Carnivore

imported post

LMTD wrote:
I think Marc's point is that it would be better for the schools to teach gun safety than to participate in gun panic like kicking kids out of school for coloring a picture of a firearm or wearing a glock polo shirt.

If one truly understands the issues of gun safety and the simple fact that some folks are idiots, there is nothing wrong with the schools teaching gun safety courses, beats the crap out of the government trying to eliminate guns over such issues.

As it sits right now, schools do in fact teach gun safety, unfortunately the message they teach is one of fear and panic instead of responsible training.

Well I guess the little fella just didn't live long enough to make it to his first day of school now did he ! You damn well better bet a kid of mine better fear a gun until I have the time and schedule to have parental oversight and one on one interaction with my child on firearms facts and handling .. it just so happens that my kids have been exposed to firearms ever since I could get ear plugs and a headset over their little heads.

Firearms safety in schools is a wonderful thing, but it was non exhistant when I was a kid, and it was something that was taught from the home on a first time exposure issue. Parents know when their children are ready for this responsibility, not the school system, plus, teachers don't have the kind of time in a day/ month/ year, to teach what is required, let alone have time to mentor,, yes mentor ! !

Responsible firearms exposure doesn't come from memorizing title,paragraph,chapter, it's a responsibility, not a grade.

peterarthur

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
LMTD wrote:

Well I guess the little fella just didn't live long enough to make it to his first day of school now did he ! You damn well better bet a kid of mine better fear a gun until I have the time and schedule to have parental oversight and one on one interaction with my child on firearms facts and handling .. it just so happens that my kids have been exposed to firearms ever since I could get ear plugs and a headset over their little heads.

Firearms safety in schools is a wonderful thing, but it was non exhistant when I was a kid, and it was something that was taught from the home on a first time exposure issue. Parents know when their children are ready for this responsibility, not the school system, plus, teachers don't have the kind of time in a day/ month/ year, to teach what is required, let alone have time to mentor,, yes mentor ! !

Responsible firearms exposure doesn't come from memorizing title,paragraph,chapter, it's a responsibility, not a grade.
Like my dad taught me and his dad before him, etc...

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
LMTD wrote:

Well I guess the little fella just didn't live long enough to make it to his first day of school now did he ! You damn well better bet a kid of mine better fear a gun until I have the time and schedule to have parental oversight
LOL, I never had a fear of my fathers guns, I had a significant fear of what my butt would feel like if I touched one of them without him present.

No, the three year old had no real viable chance to learn gun safety, it was likely beyond his capacity.

That does not make it something we should not support. It also does not make it something we should condemn. Theories abound but even highly qualified firearms instructors usually recommend a safety course be taught by someone unknown vs a family member. The only reason is because when instructing a family member is you have your own idea of what they already know but when it is a stranger you assume they know nothing so you do not leave anything out.

The key point I am trying to stress is that is in fact your choice. I would like to see it be a positive choice in school.

Let me offer another perspective here. I was sitting having supper and a lady at the next table caught our eye and she was talking to her hubby and suddenly engaged us. She asked "have you ever seen that fifth grader show?" and I said "yes, two or three times" her; "oh good, now let me ask you, could you ever have imagined how advanced school has gotten and how smart the kids are getting" she had a big smile, I am going to assume that meant I would be taking her side and canceling her hubby's vote, no surprise i did not take that position. "Well, yes and no ma'am, it is amazing but not because the kids are so smart but because of the massive quantity of worthless information they will never use in life that we are trying to stuff into them"

I thought she was gonna faint. How many geographers do we need? Who cares where the capitol of Chilie is located unless you live there? How about we teach some practical stuff like how to actually COUNT CHANGE when shuckin burgers instead of having to look at the register TWICE now, once for the bills and again for the coins!

Good things at school when I was a kid, swimming lesson, driving lessons, practical math, a class called Liberty & Law, health and wellness, bicycle safety ( OMG I am alive and never owned a helmet) electrical safety, Speech & Debate (lol, like I would not like that class)

All I am saying is I do not want things mandated to folks via the government, I am no fan of that, but having practical gun safety taught in schools in contrast to the gun fear that is now taught has merit and it beats the Brady's holding this up and pushing again to require you by law to have a safe. Perhaps if the idiot boyfriend had gone through such a class, the gun would not have been accessible instead of implying that it was said that the child should have been taught as much.

FYI on your other question, one report stated the boyfriend was "in the process of moving out" for whatever that means.

Carnivore

imported post

I'm not so sure that gun fear is taught, But for the most part, I do know teachers and students freak out when conversation/pictures/clothing/ and anything related to a gun component is seen. This big ole politically correct world we've encased our children in will be the downfall of most of the societythat most of us knew it as youngins.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If you mean its not part of the scheduled curricula, I agree, gun fear is not part of it.

When a kindergartner is kicked out of school for drawing a picture of a gun with a crayon, I can assure you a very clear lesson is getting taught.

Marc

imported post

thank you Lmtd for actually reading and comprehending my post. for others that are not im trying to say that it should be taught in school becuz some kids dont learn it anywhere else. Not all liberal anti gun folks are preaching about the danger of guns lots of them never speak of guns period to their children. They dont teach them never to touch a gun and they sure as hell wont teach them how to react around a gun. So those kids need to learn somewhere before they get to middle school. And as i said yes for this particular child he was too young but its happened to lots of children older than him that were old enough to learn but never got taught. When i was 5 my dad bought me a BB gun and took me squirrel hunting. It was just a weak little Daisy that couldnt possibly kill even a squirrel but his point was teaching me gun safety. Not everyone gets the education most of us here got as a child.