• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed in whole or in part...

virginiatuck

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/46153.html

That link above points to a belt-buckle containing a firearm. My question for y'all here is: Would that pass for unlicensed open-carry?

Or does the fact that the gun is three-dimensional mean that there is *absolutely* no way to carry a firearm without concealing it in part? As in, in the belt buckle, the other side of the firearm is concealed; in your hand, the parts under your hand are concealed; hanging by a string, the tiny part under the string is concealed.

How about a holster that consisted of a rod onto which the firearm's barrel was placed? Then would it not be concealed in part?

Or does the very nature of the firearm's construction mean that part of it is concealed? I.e. does the firearm conceal itself in part? The inside of the barrel is concealed by the outside of the barrel; part of the top of the barrel is concealed by the sights; from the front view, the trigger guard partly conceals the trigger; part of the frame is concealed by the grip; the firing pin is concealed by the frame/receiver; etc...

I know, this is silly; I just wonder to what extent the legal rulings of concealed in part go.

JT

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I know, this is silly; I just wonder to what extent the legal rulings of concealed in part go.
No way to answer your queston since we don't know. The "gun" probably wouldn't get a second look other than people thinking you had a really gaudy belt buckle.

MilProGuy

According to the laws and codes of Mississippi, you may carry concealed with the proper MS Firearms License.

bigun220

This concealed in part mess has me thinking... A pistol or switchblade knife could be carried in a clear zip lock bag. Its fully visible on all sides. Its an odd carry method, but it appears to be beyond the scope of 97-37-1. :confused:

Daylen

This concealed in part mess has me thinking... A pistol or switchblade knife could be carried in a clear zip lock bag. Its fully visible on all sides. Its an odd carry method, but it appears to be beyond the scope of 97-37-1. :confused:

As should a holster or common knife clip. Though a common pocket knife even if assisted open should be beyond 97-37-1, because that law lists fighting knifes with long blades made and designed primarily for killing, common pocket knives are designed and made and used as a tool primarily. I still carry my pocket knife on a clip on the pocket so it is easily seen and carried openly.

bigun220

As should a holster or common knife clip. Though a common pocket knife even if assisted open should be beyond 97-37-1, because that law lists fighting knifes with long blades made and designed primarily for killing, common pocket knives are designed and made and used as a tool primarily. I still carry my pocket knife on a clip on the pocket so it is easily seen and carried openly.
I almost always carry my Buck Ranger folder knife. If I don't have to pass a metal detector, its coming with me. lol. Recently, I have started open carrying my new Buck 119 with a 6 inch blade. I see a lot of folks open carry big knives in MS. I enjoy exercising a constitutional right. :cool:

Daylen

I almost always carry my Buck Ranger folder knife. If I don't have to pass a metal detector, its coming with me. lol. Recently, I have started open carrying my new Buck 119 with a 6 inch blade. I see a lot of folks open carry big knives in MS. I enjoy exercising a constitutional right. :cool:

Far better carry knife than a switchblade, no pesky federal felonies to be wary of, and even faster to get the blade out (no button to press!). Take care for local ordinances though I don't think MS has preemption for knives :(

bigun220

Far better carry knife than a switchblade, no pesky federal felonies to be wary of, and even faster to get the blade out (no button to press!). Take care for local ordinances though I don't think MS has preemption for knives :(

The Buck 119 is a fixed blade. I don't own any switch blades. As far as I can tell, knife carry is legal in my local area. Couldn't find any laws prohibiting knife open carry. MS does need to preempt the entire field of weapons.

Daylen

The Buck 119 is a fixed blade. I don't own any switch blades. As far as I can tell, knife carry is legal in my local area. Couldn't find any laws prohibiting knife open carry. MS does need to preempt the entire field of weapons.

I thought I was referring to an earlier mention of switch blades, but I can't find it now...

I couldn't agree more with the bold part.

bigun220

I thought I was referring to an earlier mention of switch blades, but I can't find it now...

I couldn't agree more with the bold part.
Must have been the post mentioning the switchblade in a zip lock bag.

I'll be sure to mention that to my congressmen before the next session starts. I've never liked the idea of states letting cities restrict constitutional rights. According to Article 3 Section 12 of MS Constitution, Openly carried "weapons" are protected not just firearms. A bill addressing this issue just might get passed with little resistance.

Daylen

Must have been the post mentioning the switchblade in a zip lock bag.

I'll be sure to mention that to my congressmen before the next session starts. I've never liked the idea of states letting cities restrict constitutional rights. According to Article 3 Section 12 of MS Constitution, Openly carried "weapons" are protected not just firearms. A bill addressing this issue just might get passed with little resistance.

Very well could. Its not the 80s or 90s so people aren't being bombarded with misinformation that knives are illegal and knife gangs are ruling the night. Maybe people and legislators will realize just about everyone in the south carries at least one knife.