• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be thankfull we do not live in the UK

tofubento

imported post

I just thought I would post this in here...yet another reason why America is AWESOME!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/10335003.stm

A grandmother has been jailed for five years for possessing a "family heirloom" World War II pistol.
Gail Cochrane, 53, had kept the gun for 29 years following the death of her father, who had been in the Royal Navy.
Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son.
She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law.
Cochrane told the High Court in Edinburgh that she had never contemplated she might be committing a crime by keeping the gun or that she might need to get a licence for the weapon.
She said: "I thought it was just a war trophy."
Defence solicitor advocate Jack Brown argued that the circumstances surrounding the case were exceptional and that it would be "draconian, unjust and disproportionate" to jail the grandmother-of-six.
Prohibited weapon However, Judge Lady Smith said: "I am not satisfied that a reasonable explanation has been put forward for not handing this gun into the authorities throughout the 29-year period she says she has had it in her possession."
The judge said she was unable to find herself satisfied that this was one of the rare cases in which exceptional circumstances existed.
She said: "The result is I have no alternative but to sentence Mrs Cochrane to a period of five years."
The case began after police arrived at the 53-year-old's home on 17 June 2009 with an arrest warrant for her son who had failed to turn up for a court appearance.
He was not at the flat, but the 80-year-old pistol was found underneath a mattress in her bedroom.
When interviewed, Cochrane told police that the gun had previously belonged to her father and that she had kept it when he died.
She said she believed it was a real gun, but had no ammunition for it.
The weapon was sent for examination by firearms experts who concluded that it was a Czech-made pistol dating back to about 1927.
Cochrane admitted having the 7.65 millimetre Browning self-loading pistol at her home without a firearms certificate and possessing the prohibited weapon without the authority of the Secretary of State or Scottish ministers.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

the lack of ammunition for this obsolete czech "war trophy" just PROVES her malicious intent, she probably had planned on keeping it ANOTHER 29 years , UNUSED

the UK is vastly safer today , now that this weapon is off the street and that this scofflaw granny-gone-bad is put away for 5 years.... its a proud day for the brits and we scots can walk a we bit taller now too...

:banghead:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Must have been a very BIG gun to make a lump in the mattress look
like a body was hiding under there.
Guess the queen doesn't like 'probable cause' and 'in plain site' rules.
Look for like laws in NY and kommifornia in a courtroom near you.:cuss::cuss:

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Must have been a very BIG gun to make a lump in the mattress look
like a body was hiding under there.
Guess the queen doesn't like 'probable cause' and 'in plain site' rules.
Look for like laws in NY and kommifornia in a courtroom near you.:cuss::cuss:
if the "royals" liked our ideas or thought like we do, we would STILL be a colony.......

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Queen...BHO, Queen...BHO, Queen...king.:lol: Man that is a bad choice either way.
Neither shows any common sense, but one has the Helen Thomas senility excuse,
and even that one is a tuff call.

I never paid much attention, how do those large wig heads get on the bench?
I know ours need to prove their ignorance about restrictions on government
powers to get appointed, but CSPAN only shows the house of commons over there.

Maybe grandma needs to take a page from vandersloot and yell coercion.
Remember the mantra. Don't talk to Bobbies! It works in any language.:banghead::banghead: