• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Prefers Open Carry over CCW

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A new Harris Poll of 2,500 adults, conducted in mid-May and released Wednesday. There's a partisan divide, of course. Currently, 22 percent of Republicans favor stricter laws, compared with 70 percent of Democrats."Large majorities" of the public overall have little problem with gun ownership: 80 percent say Americans should be able to own rifles or shotguns, 74 percent approved of handgun ownership. Half approve "open carry" weapons, 46 percent gave the nod to concealed weapons...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jun/16/inside-the-beltway-760027597/

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is a lot of data in this poll, that's why it is linked.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The same poll shows that 74% approved of handgun ownership but only 30% approved of "semi-automatic weapons".

A lot of this disparity is due to a lack of understanding of what a semi-automatic weapon is. We need to do a better job of educating people.

Jack House

imported post

StogieC wrote:
The same poll shows that 74% approved of handgun ownership but only 30% approved of "semi-automatic weapons".

A lot of this disparity is due to a lack of understanding of what a semi-automatic weapon is. We need to do a better job of educating people.
Well, the Brady Campaign has done a marvelous job of misleading the nation about that very topic.

But you're right, the public needs to be taught. I would suggest that someone organize free classes that promise to educate people about firearms and firearm safety in each of the biggest cities. I'm sure there are enough people out their willing to volunteer their time once a month or something to help educate the masses. I would be willing to help out where I am able, unfortunately I do not have the requisite knowledge, experience and expertise to be one of the teachers.

Trekker

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
StogieC wrote:

Semi-Automatic weapon? Oh you must mean a glock.... you know one of those amazing plastic guns that metal detectors can't see, every gang member has one, and they hold close to a hundred rounds... right?
No, two hundred rounds ;) At least they didn't make the mistake of calling them "automatic weapons"... They should have asked how many people are in favor of the "scary looking weapon" ban, answers would probably lines up with the brady bill supporters.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Do we conduct a survey to determine our wardrobe, the car we should drive, how many children to have?

I don't ask anyone else to "approve" those things. And I don't ask anyone else if they "approve" of my self defense tool either.

I approve, and that's all that matters as long as I do not use it for aggression.

Trekker

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Do we conduct a survey to determine our wardrobe, the car we should drive, how many children to have?

I don't ask anyone else to "approve" those things. And I don't ask anyone else if they "approve" of my self defense tool either.

I approve, and that's all that matters as long as I do not use it for aggression.
Complete agree... BTW, a car makes an excellent self defense tool under the right circumstances ;)

tnhawk

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:

Polls are a tool of those trying to control the mindless public.