• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Right to Keep and Bear Light Sabers

nonameisgood

imported post

Jefferson's contemporary writings say that he intended to apply it to weapons of the "type and kind in use" by the militia/military of the time. I'm not one to say that we should apply Jefferson's personal writings to our legal or constitutional interpretations in most cases, but when trying to interpret the written words, it is helpful to know how the terminology was used at the time.

I think the development of weapons should probably not be done by selling the prototype as a toy. And if they want to claim status as a weapon, then they need to be regulated as a weapon. Guns are regulated and dangerous weapons are frequently prohibited entirely.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Cavalryman wrote:
My objection to these things is not precisely with the device itself, but that it is being marketed in a way that downplays the fact that this thing is a weapon. It's too powerful to be reasonably called a toy, it isn't useful as a laser pointer, a laser level, a laser gunsight, or any of the other myriad of things that we use lasers for. It scorches things and burns out retinas without apparently having any other useful application. Sure, lots of things that were designed for other applications can be used as weapons, but so far as I can tell, this device doesn't have any other use. I don't necessarily think it should be prohibited, but it should be marketed in such a way as to make it clear that it is a weapon.
Its not (yet)a species of objectthat the military uses (or at least acknowledges that they use) as a weapon. It is being marketed more as a toy than a weapon. Why is it entitled to any 2A protection at all under Miller and Heller? Should it not be regulable as an extremely dangerous toy, like fireworks for example?
That's kinda my point. I didn't say they should be considered firearms. There are lots of weapons that aren't firearms. My objection is that this device that has significant potential for injuring and maiming people is apparently being marketed as a toy.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

This is not a light sabre in the sense of what we remember from Star Wars. Light Sabres, from the Lucas perspective, had limited range.

This is not an arm. It is a weapon of mass destruction that can be used to burn homes and destroy personal protection with great ease, and I'm surprised the Chinese haven't dropped the hammer down on them.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Citizen wrote:

It isn't even a question worthy of discussion.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side."--old Corellian pirate proverb.
Proof that a long time time ago in a galaxy far away people knew the value of being armed.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
markand wrote:
SNIP But should they be banned or heavily regulated?

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side."--old Corellian pirate proverb.

I'll keep my lead-slinging blaster until an electronic version comes into use. Preferrably one that looks a lot like a broomhandle Mauser.

:D
"I find your lack of faith disturbing........"
star-wars-smiley-5472.gif

M

McX

imported post

I'm holding out for a phaser. i already gave up on transporters- they would beam me somewhere, and my luggage somewhere else. but as Mr. Scott once said; diplomat? the best diplomat i know is a fully activated phaser bank.

Cypher

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Citizen wrote:
markand wrote:
SNIP But should they be banned or heavily regulated?

I'll keep my lead-slinging blaster until an electronic version comes into use. Preferrably one that looks a lot like a broomhandle Mauser.

:D
"I find your lack of faith disturbing........"
star-wars-smiley-5472.gif
starwars.gif