• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawyers Knowledgable and Experienced with Gun Laws

James Cannon

imported post

I'm beginning to get my research together to handle the creation of a Trust in which I will be able to purchase NFA regulated items for. I understand that some people do this on their own, get it notarized with required witnesses, however I'm wishing to investigate all channels. There is also the benefit of knowing a good lawyer with knowledge and experience with firearm laws both in State and BATFE regulation for someone like me who will always have firearms as a part of my life.

I live in Lafayette and would prefer someone local, as I do like to meet in person, at least at first. Local professionals would be preferable, but feel free to add your recommendation (or pimp your own services if you're one such individual) and reason for recommending.

Thanks in advance!

barf

imported post

I recommend that you read previous threads dedicated to this subject. Some here will surely wet their adult diapers with this post.

James Cannon

imported post

barf wrote:
I recommend that you read previous threads dedicated to this subject. Some here will surely wet their adult diapers with this post.
I looked at the first couple pages in this forum, and then did a search for "LAWYER" with only like 6 threads that arose, which were more personal experiences where someone was telling another to GET a lawyer.

Where should I be looking?

James Cannon

imported post

4angrybadgers wrote:
I suspect that is barf's point - while several folks have talked about finding such a lawyer, the reality is that we really don't know of any.
I see.

I've come across three names, two seemingly endorsed, one suggested by another person, though not really verified. I sent an email request to the office of the latter, hoping to get a response. I'll call tomorrow if I receive nothing via email.

Otherwise, if the dude here in Lafayette has any experience, I'll probably see about putting him on retainer. He's listed as mainly focusing on family law, personal injury, vehicular accident, and successions, so given that I'm a divorced, gun loving, truck driving man looking to set up a Trust ... he fulfills most of my life's aspects, if I can't find someone SPECIALLY geared towards gun law.

Nothing else, they may have a good idea of where to look if they feel less than capable of claiming expert over gun law practice.