• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can carry concealed on your own property?

M

McX

imported post

damn straight you can! :celebrate

doug, can you jump in here, and dig up a statute, last thing i saw on it was on the nra site, but now i can't find it!-added on edit.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

McX wrote:

doug, can you jump in here, and dig up a statute, last thing i saw on it was on the nra site, but now i can't find it!-added on edit.
Sorry, there is no statute allowing carry on your property. The law does not permit but it prohibits. Can't cite what doesn't exist.

That you can carry on your own property is a legal conclusion just like the legal conclusion that we may carry openly in Wisconsin.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The state supreme court's opinion in State v. Hamdan suggests that you can as long as it's not for an illegal purpose.

oh... and that there's no reasonable alternative to concealment. So, under certain circumstances, yes.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
McX wrote:

Sorry, there is no statute allowing carry on your property. The law does not permit but it prohibits. Can't cite what doesn't exist.

That you can carry on your own property is a legal conclusion just like the legal conclusion that we may carry openly in Wisconsin.
It's not as simple as that.

Not all law is contained in the "statutes." Article 1, Section 25 is law, although not part of the statutes. Indeed the entire constitution is law. By definition, the highest law.

And yes, some laws DO permit certain things. For example, the new state "school mascot" law does not PROHIBIT certain school mascots, but it does PERMIT anyone who objects to them to file a complaint.

M

McX

imported post

took forever, but i found it!;

In State of Wisconsin v. Munir A. Hamdan, 264 Wis. 2d 433 (2003), the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that Hamdan’s constitutional right to bear arms had been violated, overturning his conviction for violating the law. Hamdan, the owner of a family-run grocery store in a high-crime neighborhood in Milwaukee, routinely kept a loaded gun under the counter near the cash register. In addition to numerous violent criminal incidents outside the store, his premises had been the target of four armed robberies in recent years. In one, the assailant’s gun misfired when the trigger was pulled, sparing Hamdan’s life. In another, he shot and killed a robber in self-defense. In the incident at issue, he was in the process of putting the gun in storage for the night when he was discovered by police to be carrying it in his pants pocket. The court found that the statute could not be constitutionally applied in this situation because Hamdan’s personal interest in having a concealed weapon in his store outweighed the state’s interest in enforcing the statute:
If the constitutional right to keep and bear arms for security is to mean anything, it must, as a general matter, permit a person to possess, carry and sometimes conceal arms to maintain the security of his private residence or privately operated business, and to safely move and store weapons within these premises.
The court went on to state that a Wisconsin resident has the right to carry a concealed weapon on his or her property, business, or
−or
− 3 −
LRB−08−WB−16
home, when: 1) the need to exercise this right is significant, 2) the person has no other reasonable means to keep and handle the weapon, and 3) the person was not motivated by any unlawful purpose in concealing the weapon.
In a third case, the Wisconsin Supreme Court refused to expand the exceptions to carrying concealed weapons to include vehicles, but did allow that there could be circumstances under which it would be permitted. In State of Wisconsin v. Scott K. Fischer, 290 Wis. 2d 121, the court, in May 2006, rejected the argument that a bar owner who transported money in his vehicle was in an extension of his business. Writing for the majority, Justice Ann Walsh Bradley wrote that absent a reasonable belief that a person is actually confronted with a reasonable threat of bodily harm or death:

Captain Nemo

imported post

As with all Wisconsin case law and statutes concerning firearm rights. There is no black and white, yes or no answers to any question.

A pure democratic society is one in which laws and judicial opinions are expressed to the benefit of the people. In Wisconsin that seems to have been forgotten bythe legislature and the court sytem. Instead there seems, over the years, that we have seen the gradual establishment of a police society. One which is fed by case law decisions and statutes to preserve the police power of the state. That is why this November we voters must send a message to the legislature and courts that it is we that are still in charge.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Let's make sure we are clear, you can't be in or on a vehicle on your property while carrying. So, if you have a riding lawnmower, ATV, snowmobile (probably not today) and have the gun OC or CC you are in violation. Otherwise, you can OC or CC on your property or on the property of the business you OWN.

protias

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
Let's make sure we are clear, you can't be in or on a vehicle on your property while carrying. So, if you have a riding lawnmower, ATV, snowmobile (probably not today) and have the gun OC or CC you are in violation. Otherwise, you can OC or CC on your property or on the property of the business you OWN.
I don't think that is correct. IIRC, James Gleason mows his lawn while carrying. I think it has to deal with private property rights, but I can't remember why.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

protias wrote:
paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
I don't think that is correct.  IIRC, James Gleason mows his lawn while carrying.  I think it has to deal with private property rights, but I can't remember why.

Arms transportation:
• All firearms must be unloaded and completely enclosed within carrying cases designed
to carry a firearm when in or on any vehicle whether moving or stationary.
A holster is not a legal carrying case for a handgun unless it completely encloses
the handgun. All firearms must be unloaded when in or on any motor driven boat
while the motor is running.

PDF from the DNR.

This is why we need to get the law fixed. The hodge podge is definitely confusing.

Also, vehicle covers bicycles, and basically any other wheeled mode of transport.

anmut

imported post

I really think the train of thought should not be "do they allow (it) on personal property" but "why should we allow government to infringe on our property for any reason."

AaronS

imported post

anmut wrote:
I really think the train of thought should not be "do they allow (it) on personal property" but "why should we allow government to infringe on our property for any reason."
Just thought it was a great post.