• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

15.2-915 Clarification

Stafford_1911

I have two questions regarding 15.2-915

The first deals more specifically with § 15.2-915.2. Does the penalty of $100 constitute a civil fine or a class 4 misdemeanor? I ask because many counties codes define a class 4 misdemeanor as punishable by a fine up to $250. Sec. 1-11. of Stafford's code as an example.

The second is a cross between a code question and information posted by the VCDL on their site. They link 915 as the statue that prohibits carry a detention facilities. I have been unable to find any language for that prohibition in 915 or anywhere else in the code for that matter. What am I missing?

Stafford_1911

imported post

TFred – I completely agree with that assessment. The thing that is proving troublesome is I can’t seem to find the prohibition in any state or local codes.

I have not however, nor do I normally check the administrative regulations. I intend to search there as well as the USC when time permits. I was hoping someone here may have already gone through them…..

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I know that we used to use 53.1-203 for crimes committed by prisoners. In the vast depths of nothingness that is my memory these days, I'm pretty sure that the prohibition lies somewhere in Title 53, but the exact location and wording escapes me.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
This is a "carve-out" - a legal maneuver to, in this case, prohibit some action by any local government subunit except local/regional jails and juvenile detention facilities.

Concealed carry is prohibitted in various areas of some law enforcement buildings, but there was nothing that stopped open carry at local/regional jails & juvenile detention facilities. The need to prohibit firearms in those places is fairly obvious, but without the "carve out" these places were powerless to prohibit firearms.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

That's an unclassified misdemeanor. The fine is a criminal penalty, but it doesn't fit within anything in the classification schedule.

A jailis under the exclusive jurisdiction of a local sheriff, who, as a constitutional officer, has pretty much absolute discretion on how to do what's necessary to effect security. The statute broadens the scope to include regional detention facilities, which I think is interesting, as they're generally run by contractors.

Stafford_1911

imported post

user wrote:
That's an unclassified misdemeanor. The fine is a criminal penalty, but it doesn't fit within anything in the classification schedule.
That being the case shouldn’t the local codes list the penalty as a $100 fine as opposed to a class 4 misdemeanor? Doesn’t listing the penalty the way it is expose people to the full penalties of a class 4 misdemeanor?

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Stafford_1911 wrote:
user wrote:
That being the case shouldn’t the local codes list the penalty as a $100 fine as opposed to a class 4 misdemeanor? Doesn’t listing the penalty the way it is expose people to the full penalties of a class 4 misdemeanor?
Yup -all such ordinances are invalid. Not just overreaching, but absolutely void.