• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

proper car removal of firearm

southside

Campaign Veteran
imported post

when up at the seymour picnic i noticed several people securing their weapons from the car .........meaning the case was on the seat while they were loading and putting a holster on................now if law enforcement or dnr would see this, things could get dicey ............the case MUST be removed COMPLETLY from the vehicle.............in other words take it out and put it on the ground, then go through the loading and holster thing

SIGdude

imported post

I set mine on the flat part where my trunk lid closes, it seems to me that it is completely outside the vehicle, maybe i'm wrong though.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

The case cannot be inside or touch the car. So, the legal way is to take the case out, cradle it in your arm, open it and remove firearm. Only AFTER the firearm is out of the case can the case go back in the car. So, to recap, if the case is open and the firearm is inside and the case is inside or touching, you are concealed.

I believe part of the law is used when hunters lean their rifles against their vehicles. DNR can and will issue ticket.

M

McX

imported post

i dance the dance; put it on the ground, open up, grab prescious, slap the mag in, and into the holster, other one in the back pocket if deemed necessary, close case, drop back where it came from. boogie on. reverse to put away. works for me.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I leave the house with the holster already on.

I remove the case completely. Open the case, and retrieve the firearm. I toss the case on the driver seat. Then I insert the mag, chamber the round, and holster.

Upon returning to the vehicle, I unholster, drop the mag, rack the slide. Then take the case off the seat, place firearm in case, close case and place in vehicle.

As legal as it gets.

Jason in WI

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
I believe part of the law is used when hunters lean their rifles against their vehicles. DNR can and will issue ticket.
I believe you are correct Paul, you can lean your firearm against (rifle is what they wrote the law for) but you cannot place it on the vehicle. Hopefully after November we can start to lobby the lawmakers and maybe we can fix all this crap.

Arms transportation:
• All firearms must be unloaded and completely enclosed within carrying cases designed
to carry a firearm when in or on any vehicle whether moving or stationary.
A holster is not a legal carrying case for a handgun unless it completely encloses
the handgun. All firearms must be unloaded when in or on any motor driven boat
while the motor is running.

(Red text was emphasized in original PDF from the DNR but didn't stand out so I made it red.)

Reading that text does that mean I can have an unloaded and un-encased firearm in my holster on my boat while driving? Pirates, just saying....

phred

imported post

Well, it used to be that ALL firearms had to be unloaded and encased while in a motor driven boat. To appease the duck hunters, the rule was relaxed to only be unloaded while in a motor driven boat while the motor is running. I bet they (the DNR) never considered someone would want to have a handgun in a boat. It sure seems like having an unloaded handgun in a motor driven boat is a possibility. I suppose we should ask 10 game wardens and see if they all agree.

A new summertime past-time - OCn while muskie fishing - load, cast - unload, motor around to find new spot- stop motor, load, cast -unload.......

oh, be sure to wear a life vest

LOERetired

imported post

I looked up the statutefor transporting a firearm in boat and found that based on the wording, I can have a holstered handgun in a boat as long as it is unloaded 167.31(2)(a). Compare the wording of 167.31(2)(A) to 167.31(2)(B) transporting a firearm in a boat vs. transporting a firearm in a vehicle, had they intended to require the firearm to be encased while being transported in a boat, the language in 167.31(2)(b) would be the same in 167.31(2)(a) and state "unless the firearm is unloaded and encased". Becausethe languageis different, I believe that it is legal to transport a firearm in a boat in your holster as long as it is unloaded.

167.31(2)(a)
(a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

167.31(2)(b)
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.Don

Nimmer

imported post

Ok so what if you are in the car parked (lets say the car is broke down) and someone or a group of someones come to your car and threatens you and the wife. Your doors are locked so they cant get in but one of the gangbangers takes out a crowbar and starts whacking at your door window.

Are you allowed to open gun case, load firearm and neutralize gangbanger( not necessarily discharging the weapon but maybe if needed) Is that outside the scope of the law?

And the same question in a boat can you load the holstered unloaded weapon and use it for personal safety?

Even if it could be unlawful I would not hesitate to protect my family and then pay the piper.Maybe I need a dashcam also.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nimmer wrote:
Ok so what if you are in the car parked (lets say the car is broke down) and someone or a group of someones come to your car and threatens you and the wife. Your doors are locked so they cant get in but one of the gangbangers takes out a crowbar and starts whacking at your door window.

Are you allowed to open gun case, load firearm and neutralize gangbanger( not necessarily discharging the weapon but maybe if needed) Is that outside the scope of the law?

And the same question in a boat can you load the holstered unloaded weapon and use it for personal safety?

Even if it could be unlawful I would not hesitate to protect my family and then pay the piper.Maybe I need a dashcam also.
My take, and remember, I am NOT a lawyer.

If they are beating your windows with a crow bar, and flashing the firearm STOPS the crime, I don't think you should be charged.

In the Heller decision, the SCOTUS opined,
They are akin to modern penalties for minor public-safety infractions like speeding or jaywalking. And although such public-safety laws may not contain exceptions for self-defense, it is inconceivable that the threat of a jaywalking ticket would deter someone from disregarding a “Do Not Walk” sign in order to flee an attacker, or that the Government would enforce those laws under such circumstances. Likewise, we do not think that a law imposing a 5-shilling fine and forfeiture of the gun would have prevented a person in the founding era from using a gun to protect himself or his family from violence, or that if he did so the law would be enforced against him.

In my layman's opinion, if you were justified to threaten/use lethal force then the lesser offenses would also be justified because as the SCOTUS stated, "we do not think that a law imposing a 5-shilling fine and forfeiture of the gun would have prevented a person in the founding era from using a gun to protect himself or his family from violence, or that if he did so the law would be enforced against him"

and remember, I am NOT a lawyer, this is NOT legal advice.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Nimmer wrote:

Are you allowed to open gun case,  load firearm and neutralize gangbanger( not necessarily discharging the weapon but maybe if needed) Is that outside the scope of the law?

Short answer is no. But as you said, would you rather be dead and legal or alive and illegal?

A fair amount of towns/cities/villages do not prohibit open carry but make discharge of a firearm within city/village/town limits illegal or within a certain distance of an occupied dwelling. So, no matter what you might get charged with something.

Old Grump

imported post

Ok so what if you are in the car parked (lets say the car is broke down) and someone or a group of someones come to your car and threatens you and the wife. Your doors are locked so they cant get in but one of the gangbangers takes out a crowbar and starts whacking at your door window. Are you allowed to open gun case, load firearm and neutralize gangbanger( not necessarily discharging the weapon but maybe if needed) Is that outside the scope of the law?
I'm to old to wrestle with anybody and my boxing days are 40 years ago. In your scenario I would most likely be arrested for anything that I would do because when it comes to surviving and protecting my family there are no rules and no laws and no boundaries. Do what you gotta do, there is plenty of time for paperwork later.

Why do they call me Grumpy, I have a pretty smile?:D

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Nimmer wrote:

In WI, since the right to bear arms is in our State Constitution you have an affirmative defense to such silly Statutes and an overly zealous LEO citing you if you were to legitimately utilize your weapon in self defense such as your hypothetical scenerio. Once again, you will likely beat the rap but you may not beat the ride.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
In WI, since the right to bear arms is in our State Constitution you have an affirmative defense to such silly Statutes
Thank you counselor. I think you don't know whereof you lecture.

FEDERAL RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE
Rule 8. General Rules of Pleading
[ ... ]
(c) Affirmative Defenses.
(1) In General. In responding to a pleading, a party must
affirmatively state any avoidance or affirmative defense,
including:
• accord and satisfaction;
• arbitration and award;
• assumption of risk;
• contributory negligence;
• discharge in bankruptcy;
• duress;
• estoppel;
• failure of consideration;
• fraud;
• illegality;
• injury by fellow servant;
• laches;
• license;
• payment;
• release;
• res judicata;
• statute of frauds;
• statute of limitations; and
• waiver.

Or if that excerpt from FRCP isn't concise enough, Wisconsin Statutes Chapters 801 - 807 are Wisconsin's rules for civil procedure, available here http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/Statutes.html

__

Banned
imported post

Affirmative defenses do seem a bit beyond what a layperson might be knowledgeable of.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Even you can't be that daft Doug.....

I am certain that it is not necessary to point out the case law which is brought up in nearly every thread regarding concealed carry as a perfect example of affirmative defense.....:dude:

Here you go in the case that your Alzheimers is kicking up today.... I understand that a picture book would be more your speed, but this will have to do...;)

A challenge on constitutional grounds of a prosecution for carrying a concealed weapon requires affirmative answers to the following before the defendant may raise the constitutional defense: 1) under the circumstances, did the defendant’s interest in concealing the weapon to facilitate exercise of his or her right to keep and bear arms substantially outweigh the state’s interest in enforcing the concealed weapons statute? and 2) did the defendant conceal his or her weapon because concealment was the only reasonable means under the circumstances to exercise his or her right to bear arms?[/quote]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

In WI, since the right to bear arms is in our State Constitution you have an affirmative defense to such silly Statutes
and

A challenge on constitutional grounds of a prosecution for carrying a concealed weapon requires affirmative answers to the following
"Yes" is an 'affirmative answer', it is not an 'affirmative defense'. Affirmative defense is a term of the legal art, the rules for which are in the various 'rules for civil procedure'.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ Goddamn the Obamanation and its thug union thugs.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Me thinks that Doug and IK should follow the advice of this forum and STFU. This crap is getting really old to read and it is no wonder that new people never stick around here. You guys are just like the the old VFW guys that didn't allow Vietnam vets into their "clubs" when the returned from the war front. No wonder many of them don't join now that thenumbers of the old timers are quickly diminishing.

Support The 2nd

imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
Me thinks that Doug and IK should follow the advice of this forum and STFU. This crap is getting really old to read and it is no wonder that new people never stick around here. You guys are just like the the old VFW guys that didn't allow Vietnam vets into their "clubs" when the returned from the war front. No wonder many of them don't join now that thenumbers of the old timers are quickly diminishing.
+ 10,000