Thread: Cleaning chemicals and methods

Post imported post

I wanted to ask pros here on theircleaning procedures andsupplies' choices. I own severalguns and I have a fairly established cleaning procedure and supplies for them, but I feel that I'm using too many different chemicals and my procedure is unnecessarily complex.

Here is what I normally do:
    - Field strip and spray dirty parts with Breat Free Powder Blast
    - Use Hoppe's# 9 solvent on a brush and/or rag and wipe off the remaining powder resedue
    - Use Hoppe's # 9 solvent on patches, brushes and bore snake to clean the inside of the barrel and chamber
    - Spray everything thoroughly with Rem Oil spray to relubricate after Powder Blast
    - Wipe off excess oil, let dry
    - Lubricate moving surfaces and barrel with drops of Hoppe's oil
    - Reassemble.

My question is more to the chemicals I'm using (Hoppe's Solvent, Break Free Powder Blast, Rem Oil, Hoppe's Oil) rather than the procedure, but correction of the procedure will be appreciated too.

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar

Post imported post

I keep it pretty basic. Nitro solvent for inside the barrel, some 3-in-one oil to lubricate and keep rust off the body. Nothing super special.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Post imported post

i use Hoppe's #9 solvent for the bore and powdery areas (sometimes Bore Scrubber, but mostly Hoppe's) and Hoppe's #9 oil strictly for oiling the bore. all moving parts and final wipedown are done with Break Free CLP.

if the gun is really scrungy i'll blast it with Gun Scrubber first but not often.

then again, if it's a milsurp and corrosive ammo was used things change a bit but still end up with the Hoppe's, Hoppe's and CLP treatment.

oh BTW, i'm no pro but i play one on TV.

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

Hoppes #9 for all dirty parts, inside and out.

Bore gets swabbed with a few patched soaked in Hoppes, then brushed, then swabbed with clean patches until they come out white.

Light application of Silicone lube for all moving parts.

Very light application of Hoppe's oil for the bore.

But then again, my Para is Stainless steel, so oiling isn't really necessary for rust prevention...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I use Hoppe's #9 for all my guns, and then use Hoppe's oil on all the internal parts.

Keep it simple and stupid for me.
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Post imported post

I use this stuff called Gun Butter on the slide rails. For me, it has so far worked better than oils. Gun butter is thick and viscuous, so it stays put better. So I use this as lubricant and Rem Oil as protectant.

I use Hoppes w/ a bore snake and clean regularly (after every shooting session) so I don't have to use jags and brushes.

This works fairly well. I have jags and brushes for seriously fouled barrels if I need them. I'm pretty happy with Hoppes.

Banned

Post imported post

carb cleaner

and then some lube

[img]/ProductImages/boybutter/BoybutterL.jpg[/img]

Post imported post

Today it was gasoline, but then I was cleaning cosmoline off a Yugo 57.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
    I use this stuff called Gun Butter on the slide rails. For me, it has so far worked better than oils. Gun butter is thick and viscuous, so it stays put better. So I use this as lubricant and Rem Oil as protectant.

I use Hoppes w/ a bore snake and clean regularly (after every shooting session) so I don't have to use jags and brushes.

This works fairly well. I have jags and brushes for seriously fouled barrels if I need them. I'm pretty happy with Hoppes.
    I tried the gun butter , my gun got a lot more dirtier than normal after that so I stopped. Glock 19.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Banned

Post imported post

haha