• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cleaning chemicals and methods

Chaingun81

imported post

I wanted to ask pros here on theircleaning procedures andsupplies' choices. I own severalguns and I have a fairly established cleaning procedure and supplies for them, but I feel that I'm using too many different chemicals and my procedure is unnecessarily complex.

Here is what I normally do:
- Field strip and spray dirty parts with Breat Free Powder Blast
- Use Hoppe's# 9 solvent on a brush and/or rag and wipe off the remaining powder resedue
- Use Hoppe's # 9 solvent on patches, brushes and bore snake to clean the inside of the barrel and chamber
- Spray everything thoroughly with Rem Oil spray to relubricate after Powder Blast
- Wipe off excess oil, let dry
- Lubricate moving surfaces and barrel with drops of Hoppe's oil
- Reassemble.

My question is more to the chemicals I'm using (Hoppe's Solvent, Break Free Powder Blast, Rem Oil, Hoppe's Oil) rather than the procedure, but correction of the procedure will be appreciated too.

Broondog

imported post

i use Hoppe's #9 solvent for the bore and powdery areas (sometimes Bore Scrubber, but mostly Hoppe's) and Hoppe's #9 oil strictly for oiling the bore. all moving parts and final wipedown are done with Break Free CLP.

if the gun is really scrungy i'll blast it with Gun Scrubber first but not often.

then again, if it's a milsurp and corrosive ammo was used things change a bit but still end up with the Hoppe's, Hoppe's and CLP treatment.

oh BTW, i'm no pro but i play one on TV. :D

Dreamer

imported post

Hoppes #9 for all dirty parts, inside and out.

Bore gets swabbed with a few patched soaked in Hoppes, then brushed, then swabbed with clean patches until they come out white.

Light application of Silicone lube for all moving parts.

Very light application of Hoppe's oil for the bore.

But then again, my Para is Stainless steel, so oiling isn't really necessary for rust prevention...

elixin77

imported post

I use Hoppe's #9 for all my guns, and then use Hoppe's oil on all the internal parts.

Keep it simple and stupid for me.

crisisweasel

imported post

I use this stuff called Gun Butter on the slide rails. For me, it has so far worked better than oils. Gun butter is thick and viscuous, so it stays put better. So I use this as lubricant and Rem Oil as protectant.

I use Hoppes w/ a bore snake and clean regularly (after every shooting session) so I don't have to use jags and brushes.

This works fairly well. I have jags and brushes for seriously fouled barrels if I need them. I'm pretty happy with Hoppes.

jeeper1

imported post

Today it was gasoline, but then I was cleaning cosmoline off a Yugo 57.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
I use this stuff called Gun Butter on the slide rails. For me, it has so far worked better than oils. Gun butter is thick and viscuous, so it stays put better. So I use this as lubricant and Rem Oil as protectant.

I use Hoppes w/ a bore snake and clean regularly (after every shooting session) so I don't have to use jags and brushes.

This works fairly well. I have jags and brushes for seriously fouled barrels if I need them. I'm pretty happy with Hoppes.
I tried the gun butter , my gun got a lot more dirtier than normal after that so I stopped. Glock 19.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

yhst-83736441652451_2102_218405
haha