• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should I let police officer's know I'm OCing before I do?

KLD_728

imported post

Hi every one, I got a question? Should I let police officer's know I'm open carrying before I go out OCing? That way if they aren't clear on the law they well have a little under standing. Any help would be nice, Thanks.

malignity

imported post

Though this is a simple inside joke, I'm going to have to say only if you're planning on OCing in Warren.

It's one of those 'you had to be there' comments, but Doug and the rest of you who were at last year's Warren Picnic will surely remember this. Completely disregard the above comment unless you've got any idea what I'm talking about.

I agree though, absolutely not. If they know ahead of time, they're going to wonder why you let them know, and may actually try and hassle you. If OC is no big deal to you, it won't be a big deal to them. If you make it a big deal, so will they.

malignity

imported post

Don't worry about the joke part. Like I said, those that were there will at least get a chuckle. :lol:

Welcome aboard by the way, feel free to ask any questions any time! :)

Mo

Banned
imported post

As long as YOU are clear on the law and have understanding, that is all you need.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

KLD_728 wrote:
Hi every one, I got a question? Should I let police officer's know I'm open carrying before I go out OCing? That way if they aren't clear on the law they well have a little under standing. Any help would be nice, Thanks.
Do you let the police know when you are about to do other lawful things like shopping, going to the movie, etc.? If so, then give them your itinerary, if not then don't.

IanB

imported post

KLD_728 wrote:
Should I let police officer's know I'm open carrying before I go out OCing?
Do you inform the Board of Elections when you plan to vote? No? Then why do you feel the need to inform government servants about other freedoms you wish to enjoy?

scot623

imported post

If you are concerned about a local PD not being current on the laws, please contact the MOC coordinator in your area. We will be happy to send them an info packet highlighting open carry.

Michigander

imported post

At this point, word has more than gotten around the state. It is rapidly becoming almost as OC friendly here as in Arizona or Virginia. There are a few very corrupt PD's that may still hassle you or worse, but these are beyond the help of a simple friendly contact. So no, don't bother contacting any PD's unless you have specific concerns based on verified recent actions or comments from officers.

CoonDog

imported post

KLD_728 wrote:
Should I let police officer's know I'm open carrying before I go out OCing?
Not before, but while you're out! Do this: next time you're walking the dog or at the grocery store. Phone in a MWAG call yourself! Tell dispatch it's "ok" because you know the individual and he's legal...but, and here's the key, don't tell them which park or which store! Hilarity will ensue.

I'm only kidding, of course. This approach would only help them spend more of your extorted tax dollars, thereby allowing them to seemingly validate the theft.

malignity

imported post

If it weren't against the law to actually do that Coon, it would actually be a good idea. :)

Pretty sure they can bang you for it though, and that's the last thing we need. Let someone else call! LOL

kryptonian

imported post

not only NO but HELL NO!! that would be inviting a LEO encounter. they would of course ask you where you were going and say something like - "in case we get a call we'll know it's you. who are you? what are you wearing?blah blah". the sky would turn purple before you got to the end of your street. your sanity would also be in question to them and any issues that arose when you went out they would perceive as premeditated. if they didn't stop to check you they would be liable saying that they knew you were out there and should have done something. basic ass covering maneuver.
after my first few OC walks around my neighborhood i was amazed there were no LEO calls. i was considering calling in on myself "yes. hi -i would like to report a really handsome guy walking down the road carrying a sig p228 compact 9mm". just kidding. the very next time i got called in on when i unknowingly walked past a bunch of SUVs with parents waiting to pick up their kids when the school bus dropped them off. went good.
DON'T CALL THEM. you have everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing it.

kryptonian

imported post

malignity wrote:
Like I said krypt, it's illegal too.

False 911 calls are a bad idea. Very bad.
well aware. threw in a just kidding afterwards. the joke was my self complimenting and how would a caller know the exact make and model of the gun?