Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DPD Says Drunk Officer Fired Gun in Squad Car

Post imported post

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-96623064.html

Unbelieveable! But kudos to Dallas PD for not covering up the incident!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

I hope she's fired. What a moron.

Post imported post

What is wrong with these people. I would not let my Grandmother keep a gun if she were drunk. Officer Beemer was in custody if only for transport to her own home. She was in police custody none the less. why did they not disarm her for the duration of the ride. I'm sure that their chain of command is very disappointed but good on them for presenting the occurance. Even if they did so just to avoid criticism had they not done so.

DEFENSOR

Banned

Post imported post

proof that alcohol is the devil

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:

not covering up the incident? What do you think they were doing when they were trying to drive her home? Do you think they would have done that for someone who isn't on the force? If it was you or I, we'd be locked up for public intoxication, with our firearm confiscated... (and that's even before the negligent discharge)

Post imported post

Loved the reporters reaction at the end of the story:

Really? That's the incident? And that's your quote on that? OK.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Post imported post

[sarcasm]

Forget banning guns, go back to banning alcohol....

[/sarcasm]

Post imported post

Or banning armed police.

Let's go to the OLD system the English had with their "bobbies"...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Banned

Post imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

not covering up the incident? What do you think they were doing when they were trying to drive her home?
    Ummm...not covering up the incident. They were driving a drunk cop home. meh.

Post imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
    not covering up the incident? What do you think they were doing when they were trying to drive her home? Do you think they would have done that for someone who isn't on the force? If it was you or I, we'd be locked up for public intoxication, with our firearm confiscated... (and that's even before the negligent discharge)
    I don't think the officer's did anything wrong. From the information available, it doesn't appear she was pulled over driving. I think she may have called someone to come pick her up and take her home. I have officers that are friends that I wouldn't mind calling BEFORE I got into a car, but those same people would arrest me if I tried to drive.

Let's give people the benefit of the doubt here. The true moron is the girl who started drinking with the gun on her hip. Would you pat down a friend you were picking up from the bar?

Post imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

They were driving a drunk colleague home. I've done it before..and BTW...that wasn't a negligent discharge! It was intentional!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    jddssc121 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

They were driving a drunk colleague home. I've done it before..and BTW...that wasn't a negligent discharge! It was intentional!
    Police do often drive people that they know home from bars. For the others they call a cab. That is unless the person is causing problems at the bar and that could have been the case here but they chose not to go through all the trouble of trying to arrest her. As much as you may think LEO enjoy arresting people I doubt that they care for all the paperwork that goes along with it. And as to the negligent discharge, I agree it wasn't, it was intentional, big difference. :what:Reminds me of the time the two people standing in the road not paying any attention to the traffic. I asked my boss if I should just run ovefr them. He said, "Hell no, too much damn paperworkifyou do itwhile in a company vehicle".

Post imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
    jddssc121 wrote:
    I don't think the officer's did anything wrong. From the information available, it doesn't appear she was pulled over driving. I think she may have called someone to come pick her up and take her home. I have officers that are friends that I wouldn't mind calling BEFORE I got into a car, but those same people would arrest me if I tried to drive.

Let's give people the benefit of the doubt here. The true moron is the girl who started drinking with the gun on her hip. Would you pat down a friend you were picking up from the bar?
    So it is ok to use taxpayer money, time, and resources to drive drunks home?

As a taxpayer in the state where this took place I would be calling the police for a ride home everynight now.

And, I would do so weather drunk or sober!
    Live Free or Die!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    SNIP And, I would do so weather drunk or sober!
    I'm picturing one of those little black thunderstorms over a comic strip character's head that indicates a bad mood.

+1 ontaxpayer funded transportation.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    SNIP And, I would do so weather drunk or sober!
    I'm picturing one of those little black thunderstorms over a comic strip character's head that indicates a bad mood.

+1 ontaxpayer funded transportation.
    to hell with the bus...

just call the police for a ride!
    Live Free or Die!

Banned

Post imported post

way back when i was younger you could call aaa for a free tow if you were bombed

Post imported post

cabbitone wrote:
    Now if I was in the bar(which I wouldn't because I don't drink) but if I were in the bar for some reason and that is when she decided to draw her firearm and start shooting, I'd either be breaking the law myself or be unarmed....
    I too want that restriction removed. I don't really drink, I've spent countless hours in bars, and have never so much as had a single class/shot/whatever of alcohol while in one. Hell I've only had two alcoholic drinks my entire life and they were Smirnoffs and years apart.

Whenever I go to the bars it's to play pool, which is one of my favorite hobbies and unfortunately there are no dedicated pool halls in Bastrop. So my only options are the bars.

Post imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:

100% agreed

Double standard.

Police said Beemer thought she was being taken to jail. She pulled out her police-issued handgun and fired a single shot in the floorboard near the intersection of Gaston Avenue and Abrams Road, police said.
    If this was anyone else we would be going to jail and we would not be getting a ride home. We would be facing felony charges for carrying a firearm while under the influence. The only reason she actually went to jail is when she drew her pistol and fired it off in the patrol car.
    An officer can be heard on the dashcam footage yelling, "Kelly, drop the gun! Drop the gun! Drop it! Drop it!"
    Why would anyone in their right mind allow her to remain armed while she is clearly too drunk to even stand?

Beemer has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation. The other two officers involved have been put on restricted duty.

-I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Banned

Post imported post

Hey, zack! They did take her to jail. The plan was to take a drunk colleague home. Then she let loose a round. So she went to jail. She is out on bail.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Hey, zack! They did take her to jail. The plan was to take a drunk colleague home. Then she let loose a round. So she went to jail. She is out on bail.
    Yes I read the story completely and know this......quit pointing out the obvious facts, and quite picking fights.
    She was getting a free ride home until she was allowed to keep her loaded service pistol and discharged it in the patrol car. "Beemer thought she was being taken to jail." She should have been going in the first place and not getting a free ride home. No one here would have known this had happened until she discharged her weapon. Makes you wounder how many times these favors have been done in the past.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.

Banned

Post imported post

zack991 wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Yes I read the story completely and know this......quit pointing out the obvious facts, and quite picking fights.
    She was getting a free ride home until she was allowed to keep her loaded service pistol and discharged it in the patrol car. "Beemer thought she was being taken to jail." She should have been going in the first place and not getting a free ride home. No one here would have known this had happened until she discharged her weapon. Makes you wounder how many times these favors have been done in the past.
    Well, the obvious fact needed pointing out as you implied that she wasn't going to jail by saying that anyone else would have gone.

I am not picking a fight. You are. I, as you noted, simply pointed out a fact--one that you implied was not a fact.

Here is more evidence that I am not picking a fight. I don't get into Internet fights, arguments of fact and opinion, but not fights. When a convo descends into a fight, as you have just tried to cause to happen, I simply move on. Go ahead and reply however you choose. I will not reply to you on this topic. Instead, I am...

Moving on.

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    zack991 wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Well, the obvious fact needed pointing out as you implied that she wasn't going to jail by saying that anyone else would have gone.

I am not picking a fight. You are. I, as you noted, simply pointed out a fact--one that you implied was not a fact.

Here is more evidence that I am not picking a fight. I don't get into Internet fights, arguments of fact and opinion, but not fights. When a convo descends into a fight, as you have just tried to cause to happen, I simply move on. Go ahead and reply however you choose. I will not reply to you on this topic. Instead, I am...

Moving on.
    Fact was I stated she originally was not going to jail at all, until she fired off her firearm. Have a great day.

"If this was anyone else we would be going to jail and we would not be getting a ride home. We would be facing felony charges for carrying a firearm while under the influence. The only reason she actually went to jail is when she drew her pistol and fired it off in the patrol car."

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    I don't know about there, but in Ohio, having control of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol is a crime. It was COVERED UP until she fired the shot.

I ABSOLUTELY guarantee you that if a cop caught me drunk, WITH A FIREARM, I would NOT be getting a ride home... unless I lived in the jail.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

I agree she should be charged for carrying while under the influence. But I just want to point out as others have mentioned, the officers may not have known she was armed until after she fired her weapon.

I also don't have a problem with them giving her a ride home.

Banned

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    I don't know about there, but in Ohio, having control of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol is a crime. It was COVERED UP until she fired the shot.

I ABSOLUTELY guarantee you that if a cop caught me drunk, WITH A FIREARM, I would NOT be getting a ride home... unless I lived in the jail.
    Nothing in the story indicates that they knew in advance that she had a firearm, therefore it is an assumption that such was being covered up. As far as I can tell from the story, the cops giving her a ride did not know she was armed until she pulled it out.

If you are aware of any facts that are not in the story, please share them, specifically as they relate to the law regarding guns and alcohol and when the on-duty officers became aware that the drunk officer was armed.

Barring that, I think we should avoid conclusion-jumping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast