• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPD Says Drunk Officer Fired Gun in Squad Car

DEFENSOR

imported post

What is wrong with these people. I would not let my Grandmother keep a gun if she were drunk. Officer Beemer was in custody if only for transport to her own home. She was in police custody none the less. why did they not disarm her for the duration of the ride. I'm sure that their chain of command is very disappointed but good on them for presenting the occurance. Even if they did so just to avoid criticism had they not done so.

DEFENSOR

jddssc121

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:

not covering up the incident? What do you think they were doing when they were trying to drive her home? Do you think they would have done that for someone who isn't on the force? If it was you or I, we'd be locked up for public intoxication, with our firearm confiscated... (and that's even before the negligent discharge)

ecocks

imported post

[sarcasm]

Forget banning guns, go back to banning alcohol....

[/sarcasm]

Dreamer

imported post

Or banning armed police.

Let's go to the OLD system the English had with their "bobbies"...

eye95

IndianaBoy79

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
not covering up the incident? What do you think they were doing when they were trying to drive her home? Do you think they would have done that for someone who isn't on the force? If it was you or I, we'd be locked up for public intoxication, with our firearm confiscated... (and that's even before the negligent discharge)
I don't think the officer's did anything wrong. From the information available, it doesn't appear she was pulled over driving. I think she may have called someone to come pick her up and take her home. I have officers that are friends that I wouldn't mind calling BEFORE I got into a car, but those same people would arrest me if I tried to drive.

Let's give people the benefit of the doubt here. The true moron is the girl who started drinking with the gun on her hip. Would you pat down a friend you were picking up from the bar?

ODA 226

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

They were driving a drunk colleague home. I've done it before..and BTW...that wasn't a negligent discharge! It was intentional!

PT111

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
jddssc121 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

They were driving a drunk colleague home. I've done it before..and BTW...that wasn't a negligent discharge! It was intentional!
Police do often drive people that they know home from bars. For the others they call a cab. That is unless the person is causing problems at the bar and that could have been the case here but they chose not to go through all the trouble of trying to arrest her. As much as you may think LEO enjoy arresting people I doubt that they care for all the paperwork that goes along with it. And as to the negligent discharge, I agree it wasn't, it was intentional, big difference. :what:Reminds me of the time the two people standing in the road not paying any attention to the traffic. I asked my boss if I should just run ovefr them. He said, "Hell no, too much damn paperworkifyou do itwhile in a company vehicle".

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
jddssc121 wrote:
I don't think the officer's did anything wrong. From the information available, it doesn't appear she was pulled over driving. I think she may have called someone to come pick her up and take her home. I have officers that are friends that I wouldn't mind calling BEFORE I got into a car, but those same people would arrest me if I tried to drive.

Let's give people the benefit of the doubt here. The true moron is the girl who started drinking with the gun on her hip. Would you pat down a friend you were picking up from the bar?

So it is ok to use taxpayer money, time, and resources to drive drunks home?

As a taxpayer in the state where this took place I would be calling the police for a ride home everynight now.

And, I would do so weather drunk or sober!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
SNIP And, I would do so weather drunk or sober!
I'm picturing one of those little black thunderstorms over a comic strip character's head that indicates a bad mood. :)

+1 ontaxpayer funded transportation.

Jack House

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
Now if I was in the bar(which I wouldn't because I don't drink) but if I were in the bar for some reason and that is when she decided to draw her firearm and start shooting, I'd either be breaking the law myself or be unarmed....
I too want that restriction removed. I don't really drink, I've spent countless hours in bars, and have never so much as had a single class/shot/whatever of alcohol while in one. Hell I've only had two alcoholic drinks my entire life and they were Smirnoffs and years apart.

Whenever I go to the bars it's to play pool, which is one of my favorite hobbies and unfortunately there are no dedicated pool halls in Bastrop. So my only options are the bars.

zack991

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:

100% agreed

Double standard.

Police said Beemer thought she was being taken to jail. She pulled out her police-issued handgun and fired a single shot in the floorboard near the intersection of Gaston Avenue and Abrams Road, police said.
If this was anyone else we would be going to jail and we would not be getting a ride home. We would be facing felony charges for carrying a firearm while under the influence. The only reason she actually went to jail is when she drew her pistol and fired it off in the patrol car.
An officer can be heard on the dashcam footage yelling, "Kelly, drop the gun! Drop the gun! Drop it! Drop it!"
Why would anyone in their right mind allow her to remain armed while she is clearly too drunk to even stand?

Beemer has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal investigation. The other two officers involved have been put on restricted duty.

eye95

imported post

Hey, zack! They did take her to jail. The plan was to take a drunk colleague home. Then she let loose a round. So she went to jail. She is out on bail.

zack991

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Hey, zack! They did take her to jail. The plan was to take a drunk colleague home. Then she let loose a round. So she went to jail. She is out on bail.
Yes I read the story completely and know this......quit pointing out the obvious facts, and quite picking fights.
She was getting a free ride home until she was allowed to keep her loaded service pistol and discharged it in the patrol car. "Beemer thought she was being taken to jail." She should have been going in the first place and not getting a free ride home. No one here would have known this had happened until she discharged her weapon. Makes you wounder how many times these favors have been done in the past.