• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPD Says Drunk Officer Fired Gun in Squad Car

eye95

imported post

zack991 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Hey, zack! They did take her to jail. The plan was to take a drunk colleague home. Then she let loose a round. So she went to jail. She is out on bail.
Yes I read the story completely and know this......quit pointing out the obvious facts, and quite picking fights.
She was getting a free ride home until she was allowed to keep her loaded service pistol and discharged it in the patrol car. "Beemer thought she was being taken to jail." She should have been going in the first place and not getting a free ride home. No one here would have known this had happened until she discharged her weapon. Makes you wounder how many times these favors have been done in the past.
Well, the obvious fact needed pointing out as you implied that she wasn't going to jail by saying that anyone else would have gone.

I am not picking a fight. You are. I, as you noted, simply pointed out a fact--one that you implied was not a fact.

Here is more evidence that I am not picking a fight. I don't get into Internet fights, arguments of fact and opinion, but not fights. When a convo descends into a fight, as you have just tried to cause to happen, I simply move on. Go ahead and reply however you choose. I will not reply to you on this topic. Instead, I am...

Moving on.

zack991

imported post

eye95 wrote:
zack991 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Hey, zack! They did take her to jail. The plan was to take a drunk colleague home. Then she let loose a round. So she went to jail. She is out on bail.
Yes I read the story completely and know this......quit pointing out the obvious facts, and quite picking fights.
She was getting a free ride home until she was allowed to keep her loaded service pistol and discharged it in the patrol car. "Beemer thought she was being taken to jail." She should have been going in the first place and not getting a free ride home. No one here would have known this had happened until she discharged her weapon. Makes you wounder how many times these favors have been done in the past.
Well, the obvious fact needed pointing out as you implied that she wasn't going to jail by saying that anyone else would have gone.

I am not picking a fight. You are. I, as you noted, simply pointed out a fact--one that you implied was not a fact.

Here is more evidence that I am not picking a fight. I don't get into Internet fights, arguments of fact and opinion, but not fights. When a convo descends into a fight, as you have just tried to cause to happen, I simply move on. Go ahead and reply however you choose. I will not reply to you on this topic. Instead, I am...

Moving on.
Fact was I stated she originally was not going to jail at all, until she fired off her firearm. Have a great day.

"If this was anyone else we would be going to jail and we would not be getting a ride home. We would be facing felony charges for carrying a firearm while under the influence. The only reason she actually went to jail is when she drew her pistol and fired it off in the patrol car."

Deanimator

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Ummm...not covering up the incident. They were driving a drunk cop home. meh.
I don't know about there, but in Ohio, having control of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol is a crime. It was COVERED UP until she fired the shot.

I ABSOLUTELY guarantee you that if a cop caught me drunk, WITH A FIREARM, I would NOT be getting a ride home... unless I lived in the jail.

Jack House

imported post

I agree she should be charged for carrying while under the influence. But I just want to point out as others have mentioned, the officers may not have known she was armed until after she fired her weapon.

I also don't have a problem with them giving her a ride home.

eye95

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Ummm...not covering up the incident. They were driving a drunk cop home. meh.
I don't know about there, but in Ohio, having control of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol is a crime. It was COVERED UP until she fired the shot.

I ABSOLUTELY guarantee you that if a cop caught me drunk, WITH A FIREARM, I would NOT be getting a ride home... unless I lived in the jail.
Nothing in the story indicates that they knew in advance that she had a firearm, therefore it is an assumption that such was being covered up. As far as I can tell from the story, the cops giving her a ride did not know she was armed until she pulled it out.

If you are aware of any facts that are not in the story, please share them, specifically as they relate to the law regarding guns and alcohol and when the on-duty officers became aware that the drunk officer was armed.

Barring that, I think we should avoid conclusion-jumping.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Jack House wrote:
I agree she should be charged for carrying while under the influence. But I just want to point out as others have mentioned, the officers may not have known she was armed until after she fired her weapon.

I also don't have a problem with them giving her a ride home.
Agreed, but what about laws pertaining to unlawful discharge of a firearm, charges of reckless endangerment, possession of firearm(s) while in commission of a crime, etc?

Jack House

imported post

eye95 wrote:
If you are aware of any facts that are not in the story, please share them, specifically as they relate to the law regarding guns and alcohol and when the on-duty officers became aware that the drunk officer was armed.
Ya know, I just looked and I couldn't find anything that said you can't carry while drunk, only that you can't carry while in a bar.
0399.png

I'm sure it's there somewhere, I just couldn't find it.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/relatedlaws.htm

You're welcome to search for yourself, that is, for the most part, laws relevant to handguns, including self defense laws.

Edit: @SpringerXDacp; she is already being charged with those AFAIK.

eye95

imported post

Jack House wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Ya know, I just looked and I couldn't find anything that said you can't carry while drunk, only that you can't carry while in a bar.
0399.png

I'm sure it's there somewhere, I just couldn't find it.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/relatedlaws.htm

You're welcome to search for yourself, that is, for the most part, laws relevant to handguns, including self defense laws.

Edit: @SpringerXDacp; she is already being charged with those AFAIK.
Thanks.

I'll leave it to the folks making the assertions to support them.

As far as I am concerned, I see the on-duty officers doing nothing wrong--until and unless someone establishes that the officers knew the drunk officer had done anything wrong besides being drunk.

Deanimator

imported post

eye95 wrote:
As far as I am concerned, I see the on-duty officers doing nothing wrong--until and unless someone establishes that the officers knew the drunk officer had done anything wrong besides being drunk.
I can't speak to that department, but in the Chicago PD it's against the standing orders to be intoxicated... EVER.

Huck

imported post

I dont think that the officers did anything wrong by giving a drunk fellow officer a ride home. I was once sent in a utility pickup to drive a drunk fellow Firefighter home and no one thought that was wrong so why should it be different for LEO's? Police Departments and Fire Departments arelike families. Would you not help a family member who asks for it?

BTW, my drunk fellow firefighter, and everyone else in the department,was advised not to expect rides everytime he got snockered. That it was a once in a blue moon event.

eye95

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
eye95 wrote:
I can't speak to that department, but in the Chicago PD it's against the standing orders to be intoxicated... EVER.
Well, that rule would have to be the most violated rule in the history of mankind.

Not to mention, however Chicago PD does things does not address the point I raised.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

rodbender wrote:
ericfrompahrump wrote:
way back when i was younger you could call aaa for a free tow if you were bombed
I know someone that still does. He just tells them that it's broke.
i tried that way once and tow truck driver couldnt take 4 of us home so i drove

my drinking days are over weed is better

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Citizen wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
SNIP And, I would do so weather drunk or sober!
I'm picturing one of those little black thunderstorms over a comic strip character's head that indicates a bad mood. :)

+1 ontaxpayer funded transportation.

to hell with the bus...

just call the police for a ride!

Let us know how well that works out for you:celebrate

In the mean time perhaps he need to establish your legal defense fund in advance:lol:

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I don't see the problem, apparently she was just a little drunk. Drunk cops who are negligent need to defend themselves too.:lol:

ecocks

imported post

I don't knowTX law regarding LEO carry while intoxicated (seems obvious she was) but it certainly should be worse for a LEO than whatever standard a lawful citizen is held to (see MD drunken cop shooting incident).

I am guessing that the department will now have a directive to pat down ANYONE in the car who is not on-duty.

They certainly were bending over not to shoot her when yelling her name and for her to drop the gun. Doubt most of us would have been given that courtesy even if we had told them our name. If the cop knew you personally then yes probably though.

Police have given rides home to citizens (intoxicated or otherwise incapacitated)all over the country so thatcriticism seems unwarranted and petty.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ecocks wrote:
SNIP I don't knowTX law regarding LEO carry while intoxicated (seems obvious she was) but it certainly should be worse for a LEO than whatever standard a lawful citizen is held to (see MD drunken cop shooting incident).
My god! Don't you realize what will happen to NYPD's detective cadre? :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The whole scenario in the OP gives rise to an imaginary encounter:

Cop: "Would you mind schtepping outa the car for a field soh...field soh...field sobriety test, (hic) Sir?"

Driver: "You sure you can administer one, officer? I don't want you to get hurt."

:D