• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Government taking our guns??

LegitMW

imported post

Here's the deal, I'm 17 and live with my parents. I turn 18 in a few days, and want to buy a few guns. My dad owns guns, but he either inherited them, or bought as a private sale. So as far as Uncle Sam knows, our home has no guns. My dad doesn't want me buying guns from a gun dealer because of all the paperwork and forms that have to be completed. He just doesn't want the government knowing we own guns, in case they decide to try and take everyones guns some day. I know our government is pretty screwed up right now,wait let me correct that. Really screwed up. and more and more gun control laws are being passed, but I don't think they will try to 100% ban owning guns and try to take them away. They just couldn't get away with that. What is your opinion on "staying off the grid"? I don't see the point because I plan on OC/CC when I'm of age. And in Georgia, to carry a handgun you have to have a GFL. What are some arguments I can use to persuade my dad to let me buy from dealers? It would be a lot easier and I just want to buy my guns brand spankin new.

1245A Defender

imported post

your dads advice is good, old fashioned logical thinking.
there are lots of good reasons to stay off the grid, there is no guarentee a gov gun grab wont happen.
so long as you live under your dads roof, you should honor his wish to remain "un-gunned" in the govs eyes.
when you have your own address you would be free to "register" your "new" guns without endangering your dads annonimity.
your own wish to buy brand new from a dealer, and register with the gov,
should not step on the toes of someone that wants to keep their legal rights, secret!

LegitMW

imported post

yea that sounds like the best plan. I just really want to buy an M&P 15-22. and haven't seen any for sale by private owners. hopefully i will find one at the next gun show

virginiatuck

imported post

LegitMW wrote:
Here's the deal, I'm 17 and live with my parents. I turn 18 in a few days, and want to buy a few guns. My dad owns about 10 guns, but he either inherited them, or bought as a private sale. So as far as Uncle Sam knows, our home has no guns. My dad doesn't want me buying guns from a gun dealer because of all the paperwork and forms that have to be completed. He just doesn't want the government knowing we own guns, in case they decide to try and take everyones guns some day. I know our government is pretty screwed up right now,wait let me correct that. Really screwed up. and more and more gun control laws are being passed, but I don't think they will try to 100% ban owning guns and try to take them away. They just couldn't get away with that. What is your opinion on "staying off the grid"? I don't see the point because I plan on OC/CC when I'm of age. And in Georgia, to carry a handgun you have to have a GFL. What are some arguments I can use to persuade my dad to let me buy from dealers? It would be a lot easier and I just want to buy my guns brand spankin new.
Now you've done it; they have your IP address now. ;) I hope you didn't use a line at your dad's house.

Phoenix David

imported post

My two cents is that there could never be an immediate and outright ban on firearm. First off there is not enough police and military in the US to accomplish that, foreign troops would have to be brought in and that would end very badly . Second this would be in the courts so fast that peoples heads would spin off.

Now a slow erosion of the 2nd amendment to the point where it is financially imposable to own firearms is more likely, for example a $5 tax per bullet, requiring a multi-million dollar liability insurance policy, several thousands of dollar registration fees.

As far as the government knowing what firearms you have, me personally I do not worry about it. If they really wanted to know, ground penetrating radar can be used from a satellite to "see" into your house and pick up metal objects then with computer enhancement they can see what guns are in the house. Or they could start placing RDIF chips in the ammo and drive down the street and see who has what ammo which is a good indicator, could also see what magazines you receive, think that cable box is not telling the cable company what you are watching and they are not telling the FCC.

Generally speaking there are 300 million people in the country the government is not interested in you until you break some law, or are we? :uhoh:

bigdaddy1

imported post

I had a concern over the gubment knowledge also, but then I thought about it and since the gubment cant do anything right anyway it wont be a problem.

That and that horrible boating accident a few months back.....

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
I had a concern over the gubment knowledge also, but then I thought about it and since the gubment cant do anything right anyway it wont be a problem.

Sorry to hear about your boating accident. I hope you didn't have ALL your guns with you when it happened, but for some reason, I suspect you did. :cool:

tofubento

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
LegitMW wrote:
Here's the deal, I'm 17 and live with my parents. I turn 18 in a few days, and want to buy a few guns. My dad owns about 10 guns, but he either inherited them, or bought as a private sale. So as far as Uncle Sam knows, our home has no guns. My dad doesn't want me buying guns from a gun dealer because of all the paperwork and forms that have to be completed. He just doesn't want the government knowing we own guns, in case they decide to try and take everyones guns some day. I know our government is pretty screwed up right now,wait let me correct that. Really screwed up. and more and more gun control laws are being passed, but I don't think they will try to 100% ban owning guns and try to take them away. They just couldn't get away with that. What is your opinion on "staying off the grid"? I don't see the point because I plan on OC/CC when I'm of age. And in Georgia, to carry a handgun you have to have a GFL. What are some arguments I can use to persuade my dad to let me buy from dealers? It would be a lot easier and I just want to buy my guns brand spankin new.
Now you've done it; they have your IP address now. ;) I hope you didn't use a line at your dad's house.
same thing i was thinking...:celebrate

bigdaddy1

imported post

Notso wrote:
bigdaddy1 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your boating accident. I hope you didn't have ALL your guns with you when it happened, but for some reason, I suspect you did. :cool:
Sadly yes, along with several ammo box's too:shock:

crisisweasel

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
i wasnt watching the news at that time

why were they taking guns?

Because they thought civilians with firearms would cause mayhem because of course civilians can't be trusted with firearms. The reasons you'd expect - the same tired contempt the government has for independent citizens. However, there was also potentially a racist element carrying them around. Here's the story of that:

http://www.thenation.com/article/katrinas-hidden-race-war

For all these reasons, Nagin and the New Orleans PD borrowed a page right out of the supposedly "paranoid fantasies" of the gun community and confiscated firearms from citizens.

I am not a fan of vigilantism and am really opposed to racism and racial intimidation, but that is no reason to leave people completely defenseless in a natural disaster situation (this would include blacks, obviously.) Of course some private citizens will be irresponsible with their weapons. One of the many reason to leave civilians with guns alone is to protect themselves from these idiots as well.

You can imagine the potential in a natural disaster scenario for:

(a) Looting, crime, and armed robbery.

(b) Gang violence

(c) Certain far right-wing types taking advantage of the lawlessness to form their own paragovernment (for lack of a better term) which may or may not have legitimacy and may or may not behave in a just manner. I am on several survival boards and some of those people - not all of them or even most of them - but a minority of them - really creep me out.

To be honest, I am armed for possible resistance to all three of these about equally, should such an event occur. Don't want an opportunistic, paranoid militia (I do not oppose all militias - just the loony ones), gang member, or looter in my home or anywhere near my family.

how did they get away with it?

I guess people didn't want to shoot at police who were doing the confiscations. Normally civilized people try to avoid this kind of thing. Not saying what anyone should do, but I think it makes sense to cache weapons for this circumstance.

have they since been given back

The NRA sued (and won) to force the issue. Many of the weapons went unclaimed, and some were rusted and corroded beyond recognition.

The NRA made a pretty big deal about it, as they should.

This was terrible for the city of New Orleans, but it provided lots of ammunition (in a manner of speaking) to those who have maintained for a long time that the government (in this case local government) would do this in a crisis.

tofubento

imported post

correct me if i am wrong but didnt Bush sign an act forbidding this from happening again?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

crisisweasel wrote:
ericfrompahrump wrote:
i wasnt watching the news at that time

why were they taking guns?

Because they thought civilians with firearms would cause mayhem because of course civilians can't be trusted with firearms. The reasons you'd expect - the same tired contempt the government has for independent citizens. However, there was also potentially a racist element carrying them around. Here's the story of that:

http://www.thenation.com/article/katrinas-hidden-race-war

For all these reasons, Nagin and the New Orleans PD borrowed a page right out of the supposedly "paranoid fantasies" of the gun community and confiscated firearms from citizens.

I am not a fan of vigilantism and am really opposed to racism and racial intimidation, but that is no reason to leave people completely defenseless in a natural disaster situation (this would include blacks, obviously.) Of course some private citizens will be irresponsible with their weapons. One of the many reason to leave civilians with guns alone is to protect themselves from these idiots as well.

You can imagine the potential in a natural disaster scenario for:

(a) Looting, crime, and armed robbery.

(b) Gang violence

(c) Certain far right-wing types taking advantage of the lawlessness to form their own paragovernment (for lack of a better term) which may or may not have legitimacy and may or may not behave in a just manner. I am on several survival boards and some of those people - not all of them or even most of them - but a minority of them - really creep me out.

To be honest, I am armed for possible resistance to all three of these about equally, should such an event occur. Don't want an opportunistic, paranoid militia (I do not oppose all militias - just the loony ones), gang member, or looter in my home or anywhere near my family.

how did they get away with it?

I guess people didn't want to shoot at police who were doing the confiscations. Normally civilized people try to avoid this kind of thing. Not saying what anyone should do, but I think it makes sense to cache weapons for this circumstance.

have they since been given back

The NRA sued (and won) to force the issue. Many of the weapons went unclaimed, and some were rusted and corroded beyond recognition.

The NRA made a pretty big deal about it, as they should.

This was terrible for the city of New Orleans, but it provided lots of ammunition (in a manner of speaking) to those who have maintained for a long time that the government (in this case local government) would do this in a crisis.
I think you mean far radical left-wing types. They are the ones you really need to worry about. History bears this out.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Texas passed a law to prevent thisfrom ever happening here.
So did Virginia.

However were this ever to come to pass, I would fervently hope that there would be open armed rebellion by the people of this nation to violently resist and bring to a short end such an insidious affront to our most basic and essential civil right.

MrAwesome

imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
the only thing that ever came out of texas is queers and steers
And you don't look much like a steer to me, so I guess that kind of narrows it down, doesn't it?