• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Government taking our guns??

zack991

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
crisisweasel wrote:
ericfrompahrump wrote:
i wasnt watching the news at that time

why were they taking guns?

Because they thought civilians with firearms would cause mayhem because of course civilians can't be trusted with firearms. The reasons you'd expect - the same tired contempt the government has for independent citizens. However, there was also potentially a racist element carrying them around. Here's the story of that:

http://www.thenation.com/article/katrinas-hidden-race-war

For all these reasons, Nagin and the New Orleans PD borrowed a page right out of the supposedly "paranoid fantasies" of the gun community and confiscated firearms from citizens.

I am not a fan of vigilantism and am really opposed to racism and racial intimidation, but that is no reason to leave people completely defenseless in a natural disaster situation (this would include blacks, obviously.) Of course some private citizens will be irresponsible with their weapons. One of the many reason to leave civilians with guns alone is to protect themselves from these idiots as well.

You can imagine the potential in a natural disaster scenario for:

(a) Looting, crime, and armed robbery.

(b) Gang violence

(c) Certain far right-wing types taking advantage of the lawlessness to form their own paragovernment (for lack of a better term) which may or may not have legitimacy and may or may not behave in a just manner. I am on several survival boards and some of those people - not all of them or even most of them - but a minority of them - really creep me out.

To be honest, I am armed for possible resistance to all three of these about equally, should such an event occur. Don't want an opportunistic, paranoid militia (I do not oppose all militias - just the loony ones), gang member, or looter in my home or anywhere near my family.

how did they get away with it?

I guess people didn't want to shoot at police who were doing the confiscations. Normally civilized people try to avoid this kind of thing. Not saying what anyone should do, but I think it makes sense to cache weapons for this circumstance.

have they since been given back

The NRA sued (and won) to force the issue. Many of the weapons went unclaimed, and some were rusted and corroded beyond recognition.

The NRA made a pretty big deal about it, as they should.

This was terrible for the city of New Orleans, but it provided lots of ammunition (in a manner of speaking) to those who have maintained for a long time that the government (in this case local government) would do this in a crisis.
I think you mean far radical left-wing types. They are the ones you really need to worry about. History bears this out.
Yet most of the media tried to hide the fact it was being done. When it finally did make the news people like Bill o'reilly fully supported the gun confiscation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LavxQjJfx0&feature=related

Haz.

imported post

Down under when I was a teenagernearly everyone owned a firearm. We would go on hunting trips with our guns and hunting kniveson the back seat of the car and even if stopped by police, usually for speeding, the last thing they would even mention is, "You have guns and knives in your posession?" When as a member of Cadets, in High School, I would take my Lee Enfield 303 to school openly on the train. Not one person even looked at me. Later, I would cary my rifle to work anticipating a rabbit hunt on the way home or an hour or two at the range with friends. No one even cared?

Many years later the governmentintroduced licencing, saying if youare stopped by policeand are carryinga firearm and have no firearms licence you will be arrested and charged fined and possibly jailed. We all applied for a firearms licence. Then it got worse. Firearms ban by stealth.

The governmentthen intorduced firearmsregistration. Stating if you are caught with a firearm and it is not a registered firearmyou will be arrested, fined and possibly jailed.

The Howard governmentlaterbanned firearms and stated; We know who is licenced and we know where the registered firearms are held and by whom, and wewill come and get your licenced and registered firearms if you dont hand them in. You will be charged, fined and jailed for 10 years or more. Ten years is more than one gets for murder in Aus.

Most people who fessed up and applied for a firearms licence, then registered their firearms, @#$% themselves and rushed off and handed in their firearms. Had they not applied for a firearm's licence or registered their firearms thy would still have them and the whole $500,000,000 gun buy backwaste of money could have been avioded. Haz.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Haz. wrote:
Down under when I was a teenagernearly everyone owned a firearm. We would go on hunting trips with our guns and hunting kniveson the back seat of the car and even if stopped by police, usually for speeding, the last thing they would even mention is, "You have guns and knives in your posession?" When as a member of Cadets, in High School, I would take my Lee Enfield 303 to school openly on the train. Not one person even looked at me. Later, I would cary my rifle to work anticipating a rabbit hunt on the way home or an hour or two at the range with friends. No one even cared?

Many years later the governmentintroduced licencing, saying if youare stopped by policeand are carryinga firearm and have no firearms licence you will be arrested and charged fined and possibly jailed. We all applied for a firearms licence. Then it got worse. Firearms ban by stealth.

The governmentthen intorduced firearmsregistration. Stating if you are caught with a firearm and it is not a registered firearmyou will be arrested, fined and possibly jailed.

The Howard governmentlaterbanned firearms and stated; We know who is licenced and we know where the registered firearms are held and by whom, and wewill come and get your licenced and registered firearms if you dont hand them in. You will be charged, fined and jailed for 10 years or more. Ten years is more than one gets for murder in Aus.

Most people who fessed up and applied for a firearms licence, then registered their firearms, @#$% themselves and rushed off and handed in their firearms. Had they not applied for a firearm's licence or registered their firearms thy would still have them and the whole $500,000,000 gun buy backwaste of money could have been avioded. Haz.
how old are you?

what is a timeline of these events

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

LegitMW wrote:
Here's the deal, I'm 17 and live with my parents. I turn 18 in a few days....(SNIP) I don't see the point because I plan on OC/CC when I'm of age. And in Georgia, to carry a handgun you have to have a GFL. What are some arguments I can use to persuade my dad to let me buy from dealers? It would be a lot easier and I just want to buy my guns brand spankin new.

Well, one of the great things about being an adult is that you don't have to seek parental consent. When you are old enough to purchase your own firearms, you can legally purchase them however you like.

I think your dad has a good idea with staying off the grid, but when the gov't decides to outlaw guns it will probably be through legislation (like England and Australia), so whether his guns are off the grid or on them, the penalty for having them will be the same.

Jack House

imported post

frommycolddeadhands wrote:
I think your dad has a good idea with staying off the grid, but when the gov't decides to outlaw guns it will probably be through legislation (like England and Australia), so whether his guns are off the grid or on them, the penalty for having them will be the same.
Except that if they are off the grid, then no one will know he has them, therefore he'll be able to keep them without much worry if he so chooses.

I'm with the others, respect your father's wishes. Do whatever the hell you want in your own home, just not in his.

If you're not in a state that requires registration, then perhaps you can get a friend to buy the gun for you. Assuming it's legal, IDK why it wouldn't be, but you never know.

KaosDad

imported post

I don't fear the Fed taking away my firearms. I do fear the local HOAs attempting to do so. As I posted elsewhere, I lived in a community in VA where you could not have a vehile with visible damage parked on the street on in a drive way. It had to be out of sight as did your motorcycle.

It is not beyond the realm of possiblity for one of these HOAs to ban the storage of ammunition and/or firearms within the corporate boundries of the HOA - and they'd be within their rights.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

KaosDad wrote:
I don't fear the Fed taking away my firearms. I do fear the local HOAs attempting to do so. As I posted elsewhere, I lived in a community in VA where you could not have a vehile with visible damage parked on the street on in a drive way. It had to be out of sight as did your motorcycle.

It is not beyond the realm of possiblity for one of these HOAs to ban the storage of ammunition and/or firearms within the corporate boundries of the HOA - and they'd be within their rights.
i havent met 1 person that was happy with their hoa

mobeewan

imported post

tofubento wrote:
correct me if i am wrong but didnt Bush sign an act forbidding this from happening again?
I believe congress passed a law whichBush signedthat bars the use of federal dollars including disaster relief funds that are used to confiscate firearms in a disaster. This would have forbidden the Los Angeles police that were sent to NO to assist with the disaster from doing the felony takedown of the elderly woman who was forced from her home and her handgun from being "stolen" from her when she was not flooded out and had plenty of food and water for her and her dog.

VAopencarry

imported post

I don't think there will ever be door to door confiscation. But your father has a legitimate concern, it's still better if 'they' don't' know.

However, maybe you could convince him you won't be living there forever so once you move out no firearms will be traceable to his house. 'till then - his house his rules. good luck.