• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheboygan County District Attorney Admits Wisconsin Carry "might have a point" with our GF

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/96625354.html

Gun charge against Sheboygan Falls man dismissed again
Bicyclist carried firearms within 1,000 feet of school
By Bruce Vielmetti of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: June 17, 2010 |(32) COMMENTS

For the second time, a Sheboygan County judge has dismissed a charge that a man openly carried two guns on his bicycle within 1,000 feet of a school.

Gun rights advocates say the case shows why the restriction, the subject of a federal court challenge, should be found unconstitutional, and at least one prosecutor admits it might be time to at least modify the law.

Matt Hubing, 23, drew concerns from residents one day last month as he pedaled along in Sheboygan Falls with an unloaded rifle on his shoulder and a loaded handgun holstered on his hip. After the fact, police arrested him on charges that he had a gun within 1,000 feet of a school, a felony.

But after Hubing noted that the measurement point for the offense was on private property, which is exempt, Circuit Judge Terence Bourke dismissed the charge. Hubing, who had spent 16 days in jail on $1,000 bail, was released on his own recognizance.

Police then took a new measurement, from a public sidewalk Hubing might have been on during his self-described route from his home to a friend's house. That spot, police said, was 46 feet inside the 1,000-foot zone, and prosecutors refiled the charges June 4.

But at a preliminary hearing Wednesday, Circuit Judge Terry Van Akkeren found no probable cause that Hubing knowingly violated the 1,000-foot zone.

"In fact, it was the opposite," said his attorney, Thomas Lyons. "He had measured as best he could and believed his route was outside the thousand feet."

The law at issue is the subject of a constitutional challenge in federal court from Wisconsin Carry Inc. The group's president, Nik Clark, said Thursday that Hubing's case perfectly demonstrates the lawsuit's claim that the school zones are too vague and impossible for the average citizen to determine.

"The police themselves had to remeasure," Clark said. "That's 46 feet between a felony or not? That's ridiculous. Are we going to send police with laser measuring devices every time?"

After this week's ruling, even Sheboygan County District Attorney Joe DeCecco concedes the group might have a point about how difficult it can be for a gun toter to determine the 1,000-foot zone. He said he might try to get schools and municipalities to try to post those boundaries, or perhaps work with the Legislature to modify the law.

"I still think the basic premise, of keeping firearms out of school areas, is a compelling state interest," DeCecco said. He said his office will review a transcript of the recent hearing to study the judge's concerns, but if it's only about Hubing's knowledge that he was within 1,000 feet, prosecutors probably would not appeal.

M

McX

imported post

had to admit.............bet he choked near to death on that one!

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Either paint the curbs and mark the GFSZ side or amend the law to say No Firearms on school property.

Yup... if they decide to undertake marking the curbs they will be providing us more evidence for the federal lawsuit as that will demonstrate how impossible it is to exercise a practical right to carry when the school zones overlap and prevent going about your law-abiding business.

In addition, when it snows and curbs are covered, how will people know?

This GFSZ law is a mess and everyone is realizing it.

M

McX

imported post

still it would be nice to see the municipalities take some action to aid the law abiding citizens, and so something other than trying to nail their hides to a wall if they blunder into a schoolzone.

barronburke

imported post

Are cities and towns are near banckruptcy all ready and you think they should paint curbs for every school zone. That would cost the city thousands of dollars to do, while my sons teachers are being laid off you would spend money panting curbes for what a stupid law that should have beed reapealled long ago I say come November we wipe thease A#$Clowns out of office and take our state back!!!!!!!!!! Sorry if I offend anyone but money is already being spent on stupid @#$% lets not add more.

M

McX

imported post

hell, get the criminals in jail to paint the curbs!

barronburke

imported post

All that would do is start union lawsuits for all the municipal workers that would not be able to prop up the shovels and supervise the one guy who is actually painting the curb! That would cost the towns even more communative wage jobs pay big and we cant afford that!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

barronburke wrote:
Are cities and towns are near banckruptcy all ready and you think they should paint curbs for every school zone. That would cost the city thousands of dollars to do, while my sons teachers are being laid off you would spend money panting curbes for what a stupid law that should have beed reapealled long ago I say come November we wipe thease A#$Clowns out of office and take our state back!!!!!!!!!! Sorry if I offend anyone but money is already being spent on stupid @#$% lets not add more.
That is the whole point barron

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

barronburke wrote:
All that would do is start union lawsuits for all the municipal workers that would not be able to prop up the shovels and supervise the one guy who is actually painting the curb! That would cost the towns even more communative wage jobs pay big and we cant afford that!
Won't matter if Walker gets in. Those jobs won't exist anymore anyway. Might as well let the inmates do it there won't be anyone to keep them in prison anyway.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

barronburke wrote:

My comment was a bit facetious. If they STARTED trying to paint the curbs, TRUST ME, they'd very quickly realize its an impossible task when you look at those school zones. It would never "really" happen. Instead it would just get MORE people saying "yeah, these school zones are ridiculous"

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
If they STARTED trying to paint the curbs, TRUST ME, they'd very quickly realize its an impossible task when you look at those school zones. It would never "really" happen. Instead it would just get MORE people saying "yeah, these school zones are ridiculous"
+100

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

School gun free killing zones brought to the nation by Wiconsin's very own Senator Nobody Herb. The guy has done nothing for Wisconsin and for the country other than get kids killed. What a disappointment. At least Feingold supports the 2nd.

Hopefully the Leinnie guy will take Kohl on.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
barronburke wrote:

My comment was a bit facetious. If they STARTED trying to paint the curbs, TRUST ME, they'd very quickly realize its an impossible task when you look at those school zones. It would never "really" happen. Instead it would just get MORE people saying "yeah, these school zones are ridiculous"

Wisconsin could not get selt belts on school buses in times of economic prosperity because it would cost too much.

I would think that any municipality would atleast wait until the WCI GFSZ lawsuit comes to an end before they start painting. Or maybe there will be stimulus money earmarked for the project to get unemployed painters back to work.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Flipper wrote:
School gun free killing zones brought to the nation by Wiconsin's very own Senator Nobody Herb.  The guy has done nothing for Wisconsin and for the country other than get kids killed.  What a disappointment.  At least Feingold supports the 2nd.

Hopefully the Leinnie guy will take Kohl on.

Dick L dropped out. Ron Johnson is the republican frontrunner.

M

McX

imported post

ive got it; blue curbs at the boundary, blue fat lines on poles near intersections- for the joy of winter. problem would be to know if your coming or going.