• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So absurd I gotta post it

Michigander

imported post

I found out that England and Wales have this anti knife campaign going on, even aggressively posting signs in public areas. As I understand it, it's to threaten young people with prison time for carrying knives like most here have probably made a habit of since their early teens.

15397507_2nAR3_17334.jpg

http://debate.instablogs.com/entry/...-your-life-ad-campaign-rid-uk-of-knife-crime/

A new advertisement program is launched in UK. This program is aimed at turning young people away from knife crime. In this campaign, posters showing youngsters behind bars alongside the slogan ‘Carry a Knife and Lose Your Life’ will be displayed at bus stops across England and Wales. Also, TV and online adverts will include accounts from young people held in young offender institutions warning of the dangers of getting involved with knives. Now it remains to be seen how effectively does this slogan help change teenage violent mentality? Read more: http://debate.instablogs.com/entry/...campaign-rid-uk-of-knife-crime/#ixzz0rDx36gWk
It is a great lesson in what happens when people get lazy apathetic and stupid, and let their country go to hell in a hand basket. Many of our states aren't too far off from this either.

Please consider the absurdity of this, and understand just how important your actions as an open carrier are. Even if you don't open carry regularly or at all, even just being a gun rights activist or armchair supporter helps prevent the spread of statist idiocy like this. This type of crap can happen ANYWHERE if people will allow it. :uhoh:

eastmeyers

imported post

Shouldn't the sign say something like, "we already took away your best self defence option YEARS ago, and now the current best self defence tool you have now has got to go!"

Michigander

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
Wow.....wait....it IS legal for me to carry my knife right?
I know warren changed their laws around, but last I checked they pretty much had a ban on knife possession outside of a certain list of activities like scouting events. So maybe, maybe not. :uhoh:

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Well then, ive been breaking the law for a while now if its not legal. I couldve sworn at least a few warren cops have seen it, i keep it clipped on the outside of my pocket because i can get to it faster, and im not sure if id get hit with a CCW charge or something.....idk....anyone know where i could find out for sure?

PDinDetroit

imported post

Well then, ive been breaking the law for a while now if its not legal. I couldve sworn at least a few warren cops have seen it, i keep it clipped on the outside of my pocket because i can get to it faster, and im not sure if id get hit with a CCW charge or something.....idk....anyone know where i could find out for sure?
Since there is no state preemption law for knives, you have to look at State, County, and "Locality" Laws on Knives.

Too bad the MI preemption law for firearms was not just made for "arms" (Webster: a means, as a weapon, of offense or defense).

Recoil88

imported post

Man England is worse off then i thought you cant even carry a knife now. I feel bad for the people over there they already took their guns. Now i guess you better learn to be like the Neo in the matrix and dodge bullets then go beat up your assailant.:banghead:

CrimDoc

imported post

The truly sad thing about England is that they are convinced that by demonizing particular OBJECTS they are somehow going to eliminate crime (which, ironically, they tend to be REALLY soft on).

So now you're going to get people getting 5, 10, 15+ years in prison for carrying a knife ... but probation for the robbery and assault they actually carried out using that knife. And other criminals who carry out robberies and assaults WITHOUT knives will receive ONLY probation.

The message seems to be "victimize whomever you want ... just don't you DARE do it with a knife or a gun!"

I can't wait for the next anti-crime campaigns:

"Carry a bat ... and you'll get exterminated like a rat!"
"Carry a wrench ... and you'll get f*cked like a wench!"

:lol:

lil_freak_66

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Since there is no state preemption law for knives, you have to look at State, County, and "Locality" Laws on Knives.

Too bad the MI preemption law for firearms was not just made for "arms" (Webster: a means, as a weapon, of offense or defense).
perhaps thats something we should fight for eventually? i know most of us carry edged weapons,and you cant go into a public area without seeing a knife or a multi-tool on some random person's hip.

i can just see somebody now thats getting popped with a knife violation.... detainee-"i can carry a firearm just about anywhere in the state,but your ticketing me for having a multitool on my hip??" officers-"uh basically,its illegal in this town"
detainee-"thats messed up" officers-"yep"

Yooper

imported post

Heck we've all been breaking all kinds of laws all our lives. Did you know its ILLEGAL to have more people on a bicycle than what it is designed for? Did you know it's ILLEGAL to ride a bicycle in which the brakes can't skid the tire? It's also illegal to ride a bike at night without a headlight, or to ride a bike carrying something that keeps you from having both hands on the handlebars.

how do you plead?

Michigander

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
i can't carry a knife in st clair except for a very specific set of reasons. it's a ridiculous and outdated ordinance.
Outdated? Nah. Racist bigotry, a delusional fear driven idea that self defense is a collective issue, and a desire to control the peasants, these are all timeless, which is why minimally attempts to enforce garbage like that will always exist. ;)

kryptonian

imported post

i was in london, england about 5 years ago. my niece and i were in trafalgar square and saw 2 young guys smoking weed on a bench. everyone could smell it. 2 london officers (bobbies) walked up and caught them stone cold busted. we sat down to watch the show. we weren't in earshot so couldn't hear the banter. the guys didn't attempt to hide it from them. they talked for about 20 minutes and even let one of the suspects leave and come back with something. it was driving me nuts. i was a cop. that open and shut case would take 5 minutes from approach to arrest and transport to substation. we went to a pub and had a pint then came out and they were still talking. what could you possibly be saying that took that much time? i of course had to throw in some anonymous yelled advice from the crowd to the officers including "C'MON"!!!!! what more do you need?"
we left then. we were getting the obnoxious american look. this is similar to the advice yelling i do every saturday night watching COPS.

Michigander

imported post

That reminds me of Americas Most Wanted some years back. They did a story on a US fugitive who fled to the UK, and shot dead 3 unarmed bobbies that tried and failed to arrest him. Later on, a team or armored bobbies with sub guns arrested him, closing the AMW case. I haven't ever been able to find internet documentation of it, but I remember the story.

I thought it was funny, tragic, and unspeakably idiotic all at the same time

ElectricianLU58

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hard to believe those people have John Locke in their heritage.

when my brother took medical ethics, a good part of his class thought the professor was talking about the character on lost when he was discussing john locke.

limeyadam

imported post

I was born and bred in England, but now reside in MI. This is one of those topics that even I have a mixed opinion of.

First, I grew up in an area where you could get into several fights a day, or just get jumped by a large group of people for taking an alley as a shortcut home, so I frequently carried knives that were very much illegal due to style and length.

On the flip side, my best friend growing up now has a wife and child living near a street that we spent much time hanging around as kids. In his first year at this home 7 people were stabbed and killed.

It's acts like this that make me wish knives were illegal sometimes, but then I realize that no matter how illegal something is you can always get your hands on it.

Case and point...guns. Our regular law enforcement do not get to carry guns. That's left to some detectives, and guards at embassy buildings, etc...

But it's not all that hard to purchase a gun illegally. The sad fact remains that no matter how much the law thinks they're doing the right thing, there will always be knives and guns around, and bad people willing to use them on innocents.

So for now, I like to keep my survival tools around. :)

PDinDetroit

imported post

limeyadam wrote:
I was born and bred in England, but now reside in MI. This is one of those topics that even I have a mixed opinion of.

First, I grew up in an area where you could get into several fights a day, or just get jumped by a large group of people for taking an alley as a shortcut home, so I frequently carried knives that were very much illegal due to style and length.

On the flip side, my best friend growing up now has a wife and child living near a street that we spent much time hanging around as kids. In his first year at this home 7 people were stabbed and killed.

It's acts like this that make me wish knives were illegal sometimes, but then I realize that no matter how illegal something is you can always get your hands on it.

Case and point...guns. Our regular law enforcement do not get to carry guns. That's left to some detectives, and guards at embassy buildings, etc...

But it's not all that hard to purchase a gun illegally. The sad fact remains that no matter how much the law thinks they're doing the right thing, there will always be knives and guns around, and bad people willing to use them on innocents.

Welcome to OCDO! Glad you can now "provide for your protection better".

eastmeyers

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
limeyadam wrote:

Welcome to OCDO! Glad you can now "provide for your protection better".
Yeah I am going to make him go with me to the pit in two weeks when we are camping.