• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying a long gun

LegitMW

imported post

If I am over 18, and open carrying a long gun and the cops stop me, what all do I have to show them? I know that no GFL is required for long guns. So would I just have to prove that I'm over 18?

Kingfish

imported post

Welcome to the forum!!!!

You may want to check out http://www.georgiapacking.org for advice on long gun carry.

The MODs don't allow long gun OC posts on this board.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html
11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

LegitMW

imported post

oh. haha sorry for breaking the rules.. I'm just not old enough to carry a handgun, so I'll check out that site.

rmodel65

imported post

LegitMW wrote:
If I am over 18, and open carrying a long gun and the cops stop me, what all do I have to show them? I know that no GFL is required for long guns. So would I just have to prove that I'm over 18?

iirc you dont have to be 18 to open carry a long gun

aadvark

imported post

No..., do not go to Georgia Packing..., yet, about anything!

They have not updated their Website as it pertains to SB 308!

Most of the information on their Website is, thus, outdated.

Kingfish

imported post

aadvark wrote:
No..., do not go to Georgia Packing..., yet, about anything!

They have not updated their Website as it pertains to SB 308!

Most of the information on their Website is, thus, outdated.
Well, I was actually meaning for him to browse the forums and ask if he did not find what he was looking for.

You are right though. The "Gun laws" link says...
This page is being updated to reflect the changes in the law now that SB 308 has been signed. Please be patient as it may take some time for this page to be fully updated.

aadvark

imported post

Per Georgia Code 16-11-126(b) Long Guns may be Carried Openly, without any need for Licensure from any Probate Court.

Remember though, unless you have a License and qualify for the exception made in 16-11-127(d)(2), and follow the procedures therein correctly..., do not take your Long Gun to any place named under 16-11-127(b), unless, the place is one listed under 16-11-126(b)(6) with permission from the Righful Owner or Manager.

***Yes I am aware of Rule 11..., but I meant to mention this in an earlier post.***