Thread: Glock 23

Post imported post

I am looking at the glock 23 as a new primary. Pros and cons, please.

Post imported post

l personally loved my G23. Perfect size, good for small enough to CC when needed, and still a good size to OC. I cant think of any cons

Post imported post

My Glock 23 was my primary CC weapon for years. Great combination of size and capacity. Recoil is sharper than any of my other Glocks, 40 cal or others, and accuracy suffered slightly if I didn't stay well practiced.

Great pistol and should serve you well.

Jay

Post imported post

One reason I don't like them:

Glock says its "normal" and "nothing to worry about," but I still don't like it.

This happens with every .40 cal Glock.

Post imported post

I love my Glock 23. I carry it openly as my primary. I have also concealed it to and from the car at private businesses where the owner doesnt want the customers frightened, but lets me carry anyways. :celebrate But it is a perfect gun for me. Good round capacity, not so large you have to walk with a crutch to hold yourself up, but not so small you cant hold it while firing. LOL. I say go for it. Hopefully you'll love it like I love mine.
    "Know firearms, know safety. No firearms, no safety"
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

Post imported post

The G23 has been my primary carry pistol for years. Sometimes I would carry my G27 as it could accept larger capacity magazines, on the re-load. It was easy to conceal, if I needed to CC that day.

I have to say that I'm considering changing my primary to a .45, XD Compact. Ten rounds of .45 in the flush magazine and 13 on the re-loads. The weight difference isn't significant to me. Too many guns can make one confused. But, happily confused!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I have two 3G G23's, one being my primary carry piece for both OC and CC and the other is a backup should something happen to the primary. It suits my needs but is not the only gun in my carry stable. It is, however, the one that almost always leaves home with me. My primary G23 came from the factory with night sights, an extended slide stop, and a 5# trigger (connector), not the "normal" 5.5# trigger connector. I have since replaced the stock serrated trigger with the smooth faced trigger and the connector, after testing four other connectors, is the Glock 3.5 unit (part #00135).

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I carry a 23 for my primary. Accurate, light, dependable, decent pistol caliber, it's the Apple computer of firearms(simple and just works). Cons? You still have to clean and oil them every few thousand rounds.:P I have a OD one and a black one, I just wish they made a brown one.

Oh, one last thing. With the sporadic nature of ammo availability over the last year, with more to come in the future I'm sure, the Glock 23 has been the pistol to have! I train a lot with the 40 cal and at one point I couldn't find any 40 cal ammo to shoot. So what I did was buy a drop in Glock 32 barrel and two G32 magazines. Instant .357 SIG Glock! .357sig ammo never dried up around here. Kept me going bang,bang.

Post imported post

Mas49.56 wrote:
    So what I did was buy a drop in Glock 32 barrel and two G32 magazines. Instant .357 SIG Glock! .357sig ammo never dried up around here. Kept me going bang,bang.
    Actually the G23 (.40S&W) magazines will load/feed .357sig rounds quite well but you can't have too many magazines.

Banned

Post imported post

could you modify to shoot 10mm auto using the same mags and a different barrel?

Post imported post

ericfrompahrump wrote:
    could you modify to shoot 10mm auto using the same mags and a different barrel?
    nope.
    OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    Mas49.56 wrote:
    So what I did was buy a drop in Glock 32 barrel and two G32 magazines. Instant .357 SIG Glock! .357sig ammo never dried up around here. Kept me going bang,bang.
    Actually the G23 (.40S&W) magazines will load/feed .357sig rounds quite well but you can't have too many magazines.
    TRUE!

and g32 mags will feed a g23

That is because the .357sig is pretty much just a .40 case necked down to 9.03mm so as far as the magazine contact points go, the case dimensions are the same.

the only difference between the g32 and g23 magazine is the ".40" and ".357" markings on the back of the mag.

and as far as what Bravo_Sierra posted

I have thousands of rounds through my g22 and g23 and ive never that before.

and I called a few friends that own .40 glocks and they have never seen it either.

so apparently not EVERY glock...
    OH NO!!! I cant seem to think of anything "funny" and/or "wise" to put in my forum signature...NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! lol

Post imported post

Hey man, I don't have that kind of wear on either of mine! They have been well used too. I don't think that's normal. Maybe call glock again and speak to a different person. Something is out of spec IMHO.

Post imported post

Mas49.56 wrote:
    Hey man, I don't have that kind of wear on either of mine! They have been well used too. I don't think that's normal. Maybe call glock again and speak to a different person. Something is out of spec IMHO.
    While at Barnes & Noble, I breezed through
    The Gun Digest Book of the Glock, 2nd Edition,and this problem is apparently not uncommon. Now I'm reconsidering my choice of weapon.

Post imported post

sqrlh8r wrote:
    Mas49.56 wrote:
    The Gun Digest Book of the Glock, 2nd Edition,and this problem is apparently not uncommon. Now I'm reconsidering my choice of weapon.
    wait...your reconsidering buying a new 3rd or 4th gen glock (with an out standing law enforcement and private carry track record) because of a very small problem like that???... its in my opinion a non issue anyway, because it doesn't effect the weapons function...

to me, your choice to possibly pass up glock because of something like that (even if the problem is still present in the newer generations...which im pretty sure its not) doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

but I do wish you good luck.

and keep in mind, im a 1911 guy at heart and in holster...so I obviously dont think glock is the end all, but I would trust, and be more than happy to have one with me if I needed one.

Post imported post

sqrlh8r wrote:
    Mas49.56 wrote:
    I just now field stripped my primary carry G23 to examine this part indicated in the picture and my 3G G23 has no such "damage" or flaw. And further examination does not seem to indicate how, why, or where this sort of damage might result from during the cycling of the slide.

First time I have ever heard of this or seen it, so I would very much like hearing some more information about this. I will tell you this. A well-known writer in the gun culture considers the Glock 23 to be the best combat sidearm one can carry. Boston T. Party stated this in his book, "Boston's Gun Bible". Yes, I know... opinions are just that and this writer is quite adamant in his. But he has a background and a level of experience to back up his opinion.

Many tens of thousands of G23's have made it into the hands of law enforcement and citizens and have proved their worth. This alone should give you comfort in taking your decision.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here

Post imported post

My Glock 23 with approx 5000 rounds through it shows no such wear either. If it did, I wouldn't necessarily be too concerned. While it clearly doesn't happen to "every" one, it can still be "within spec" on those where it does occur, kinda like the "Pig nose" some Glocks have.

Looking at the picture it looks like where the locking block comes in contact with the slide. Anytime you have two metal parts rubbing together, there is going to be wear. at some point the wear should stop, the point where the lube sufficiently protects from the friction (unless of course there is no lube).

ANY gun you decide on is going to show signs of wear (assuming you use it). Given Glock's impressive track record I would hesitate to choose something else based on a cosmetic concern. If you like the gun and shoot it well, don't sweat the small stuff. Glock has a pretty good reputation when it comes to warranty as well.

Dollar for dollar, I don't think you can find a better gun on the market than any Glock.

Post imported post

The current issue sidearm for FBI field agents is the G23, paired with Speer Gold Dot 165gr.

The compact GLOCKs seem to be the do-it-all firearm. Large enough for uniformed duty/open carry, small enough for concealed carry, light enough to carry all day long, sufficient capacity for their size, handle & shoot like a "full-size," and are reliable enough to bet your life on.

Each time I venture from my 'tupperware ways' I'm quickly reminded that I can get the same capacity out of a mid-size GLOCK and it's alot easier to carry, etc... so I always venture back.

911Boss, said it well, dollar for dollar, a GLOCK is hard to beat.

Post imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    The current issue sidearm for FBI field agents is the G23, paired with Speer Gold Dot 165gr.

The compact GLOCKs seem to be the do-it-all firearm. Large enough for uniformed duty/open carry, small enough for concealed carry, light enough to carry all day long, sufficient capacity for their size, handle & shoot like a "full-size," and are reliable enough to bet your life on.

Each time I venture from my 'tupperware ways' I'm quickly reminded that I can get the same capacity out of a mid-size GLOCK and it's alot easier to carry, etc... so I always venture back.

911Boss, said it well, dollar for dollar, a GLOCK is hard to beat.

The real beauty of the G23 is its size and weight, its round capacity, and the fact that it makes use of a very serious big bore pistol caliber. Couple this with its simplicity and well-deserved reputation of reliability and you have yourself a near perfect defensive sidearm.

I do not have strong biases when it comes to gun manufacturers. My biases fall under the umbrella of reality and how the gun fits and works for me and my needs. My carry stable consists of Glocks, Kahrs, an M&P40, and an XD40 (my BUG being a P3AT Kel-Tec). Well over 90% of the time, my primary G23 is my SD both inside and outside my home.

America First!

Post imported post

Well, y'all make some pretty convincing arguments. Looks like I'll be getting a Glock 23.

Post imported post

sqrlh8r wrote:
    Well, y'all make some pretty convincing arguments. Looks like I'll be getting a Glock 23.
    My suggestion to you sir would be for you to find an opportunity to handle a Glock 23 on a range and put some rounds to target. Only then will you have a clear and distinct impression of whether or not it will serve your wants and needs.

For what it's worth, today I ordered a Wolf 6 pound trigger spring for my primary G23. In combination with my Glock 3.5 connector and the smooth faced trigger, this should be a very nice touch to this gun. And I do my own work on my Glocks since they're so easy to break down for modifications and such.

America First!

Post imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    Actually a year or two ago FBI switched to the new version of Winchester Bonded 180gr developed just for them. Winchester then stopped making the old version that was inferior. The new stuff is the same ammo as the 180gr PDX1 ammo now sold on the commercial market.

Post imported post

Pros:
    1. It shoots underwater.
    2. Even if you only clean it once a year, it works.
    3. Super-reliable, even under dirty/extreme conditions.
    4. You can run it through the dishwasher to clean it.
    5. Light weight makes for comfy carry.
    6. Some third-party custom parts are available.
    7. Fast to deploy.
    8. Manufactured by Austrians, who are known for their obsession with quality.
    9. It's a Glock, dude! :celebrate
    Cons:
    1. Light weight makes recoil more noticeable.
    2. No external/manual safeties.
    3. Mags are plastic.
    4. Limited manufacturer sources for barrels, mags, sights.
    5. Limited number of qualified gunsmiths for doing custom work/repairs.
    6. Plastic-eating bacteria are your enemy.
    7. Holstering/drawing learning curve comes with high risk of shooting yourself in the ass/foot.
    8. Made by Austrians, which means your money goes to fund a foreign-owned corporation in one of the most anti-gun regions of the planet.
    9. It's a Glock, dude... :?

Take this with as many grains of salt as you wish. Its only PARTIALLY intended to be satirical and snarky...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Pros:
    1. It shoots underwater.
    2. Even if you only clean it once a year, it works.
    3. Super-reliable, even under dirty/extreme conditions.
    4. You can run it through the dishwasher to clean it.
    5. Light weight makes for comfy carry.
    6. Some third-party custom parts are available.
    7. Fast to deploy.
    8. Manufactured by Austrians, who are known for their obsession with quality.
    9. It's a Glock, dude! :celebrate
    Cons:
    1. Light weight makes recoil more noticeable.
    2. No external/manual safeties.
    3. Mags are plastic.
    4. Limited manufacturer sources for barrels, mags, sights.
    5. Limited number of qualified gunsmiths for doing custom work/repairs.
    6. Plastic-eating bacteria are your enemy.
    7. Holstering/drawing learning curve comes with high risk of shooting yourself in the ass/foot.
    8. Made by Austrians, which means your money goes to fund a foreign-owned corporation in one of the most anti-gun regions of the planet.
    9. It's a Glock, dude... :?

Take this with as many grains of salt as you wish. Its only PARTIALLY intended to be satirical and snarky...
    "It shoots underwater"

who cares if it shoots underwater? why would that be useful? and as far as submerging and than quickly surfacing and needing to fire (if your a navy seal) most guns can do that just fine.

"you can run it through the dishwasher to clean it"

If your hell bent on doing something weird...ya, but you can do that with almost any gun just as long as you dry it very quickly and oil well.

"fast to deploy"

why is a glock itself any faster to deploy then any other gun?? lack of a safety? 1911s have a couple safetys and there one of the most common pistols used by the best and fastest handgun shooting competitors in the world...

"mags are plastic"

well your kinda right..ish...there have a polymer sleeve over a metal core...there easy to disassemble and clean...they work 100% of the time even through dirt and grime and there almost impossible to destroy.

"Limited manufacturer sources for barrels, mags, sights"

ummm, wrong. Glocks have been around for quite a while and are very popular (especially with law enforcement) so parts (made by many different company's) are VERY EASY TO FIND there are quite a few sources for aftermarket barrels (if you would like links ill post a few) and about EVERY single sight manufacturer makes sights for glocks. as far as mags go...glock mags are so damn easy to find im surprised you cant buy them in walmart.

"Limited number of qualified gunsmiths for doing custom work repairs"

what? ....umm glocks are so simple that most repairs and part replacement can be done at home, and can be done RIGHT by simply watching a youtube tutorial. if glocks are above your gunsmiths skill level then your "gunsmith" is an idiot.

"plastic-eating bacteria are your enemy"

hhahahahahahaha im sorry but thats not even close to being a valid concern.

"Holstering/drawing learning curve comes with high risk of shooting yourself in the ass/foot."

shooting yourself in the a** or foot (with ANY GUN) means that pointed the gun at your a** or foot and pulled the trigger. thats NOT the guns fault...that just means that your an idiot....and honestly the glocks safe action 5 pound "stapler" trigger is probably one of the hardest triggers to pull "on accident".