• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Self Defense Nightmare

imported post

i think u probably shouldnt have gone back downstairs after u got ur rifle bc u were going into the threat. i know i probably would end up doing the same but it was a bad idea and now the lawyers are using it against u.

maybe ushould have stayed in ur bedroom with ur rifle and called the police?

Dangime

imported post

I'm not certain. It would be whatever Colorado County falls under.

ecocks

imported post

I am not seeing a Texas murder trial with a hung jury that fits thisdescriptionwhen I google the information in the story above. "SKS", "Uncle", "murder" or "farm".

If you want credibility you need some details which enable verification. Otherwise this just strikes many as an elaborate imagination.

ecocks

imported post

It is a little odd that this story isn't being told in the papers much but maybe the area just doesn't do that the way we are used to the big city papers doing through a trial.
You can piece together more of the background and controversy by reading the comments section (see below) regarding this incident. Much of it is family bickering and character sniping about the alleged alcoholism and violence,as well as the inevitable after-the-fact proclamations of sainthood. Only one person seems to have offered any type of rational comment about the shooter being a nice guy as well. There is also the one comment that the plea was changed from self-defense to "a lesser charge" with a lower penalty (second degree?).

Apparently the family is pushing the community for a max sentence.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/weimar-tx/T8PTEASMCN13R5R8I

10A

imported post

We don't see all the evidence and facts, and only have one side of the story.

From the authorities point of view, you shot an unarmed man, in a house that he had just as much right to be in. Also, you didn't really flee, since you went armed back to the front door and had a reasonable expectation of encountering your uncle. That doesn't sound like someone who is afraid for their life, it sounds confrontational.

If I was the DA I would have brought it to trial too, and I've only read your side of the story.

Aaron1124

imported post

10A wrote:

From the authorities point of view, you shot an unarmed man, in a house that he had just as much right to be in. Also, you didn't really flee, since you went armed back to the front door and had a reasonable expectation of encountering your uncle. That doesn't sound like someone who is afraid for their life, it sounds confrontational.

If I was the DA I would have brought it to trial too, and I've only read your side of the story.
I agree for the most part, except the part about him being unarmed. It generally doesn't matter if he's armed or not. The typical guideline to follow is immediate protection of your life, or the life of another in your presence.

eye95

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
10A wrote:

I agree for the most part, except the part about him being unarmed. It generally doesn't matter if he's armed or not. The typical guideline to follow is immediate protection of your life, or the life of another in your presence.
That varies from State to State. In Alabama, for instance, you can use deadly physical force if you reasonably believe that someone is committing or is about to commit assault in the first or second degree.