• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

swarmed by hammond police for oc

2ndammendmentbrotha

imported post

Hello all. I just walked from the store and am safely home now. However on the way to the store I was ocing and all of a sudden six or eight Hammond police including chief of police Brian Miller surrounded me with guns drawn and ordered me to my knees. They then proceeded to handcuff me and remove both of my guns (only one of which was oc). They whooped it up at my having two guns and asked me why I was carrying two guns. I asked Chief Miller Why was I getting so much attention. He replied that this is a gang infested area and that someone had called and said that a man had a gun. My LTCH was checked and Chief Miller apologized for my "inconvenience" gave me my guns back and I proceeded to the store and back home.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Sounds like you have a case. Ask for police reports and 911 calls. Document as much as you can. They had no probable cause to do a felony stop on you, or to point guns at you, as far as I can see from your description of the events.

Thundar

imported post

Sounds like the gang infestation was the thin blue line gang.

Do you thinkthis incident happened in part because of race? I ask because Hammond, Indiana PD has some major hits on DiversityInc.com and some significant EEOC complaints against the PD. (and your OCDO handle ends in brotha)

2ndammendmentbrotha

imported post

I didn't want to throw the race card but yes I dothink that race played a factor. I really don't think that a caucasion MWAG would have had guns drawn on him. The police know that we leagally carry guns, some openly. For them to overrespond in such a way is a problem and a safely hazzard.

Thundar

imported post

2ndammendmentbrotha wrote:
I didn't want to throw the race card but yes I dothink that race played a factor. I really don't think that a caucasion MWAG would have had guns drawn on him. The police know that we leagally carry guns, some openly. For them to overrespond in such a way is a problem and a safely hazzard.
This crap really pisses me off! Lawyer up. You were threatened with deadly force for being a BMWAG.

Skippy

imported post

Not sure how you can reach into your pocket to activate a voice recorder when you've got half a dozen guns pointed at your head.

SpeedRacer

imported post

Why would you wait to activate until you have guns pointed at you? As soon as you leave the house, turn it on. They have recorders that work for many hours.

Thundar

imported post

SpeedRacer wrote:
Why would you wait to activate until you have guns pointed at you? As soon as you leave the house, turn it on. They have recorders that work for many hours.

+1, but verify the legality in Indiana first.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I don't know the legality of voice recorders in Indiana, but if 1 party consent is legal get a voice recorder tonight.

Ind. Code Ann. § 35-33.5-1-5(2)

Statute allows the recording of a telephone conversation by either the sender or receiver of the communication

Yata hey

aikidoka

For comparision, since I'm caucasion. I had I think 4 Hammond police respond to me once due to OC. One officer claimed they got a MWAG call. No guns were drawn. When they approached me I was simply standing at the redbox outside Walgreens which I've done many times while OCing and one officer came up and asked me what I was doing. The lead officer was a jerk but my experience was nothing compared to yours.

I hope you can get some legal satisfaction and put them in their place.

aikidoka

Get a voice recorder with extremely long recording times and just leave it on whenever you OC. I even have a mic attached to my shirt to get better sound. Only one person asked about it and I told them it was to keep the police honest ;)