• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification on Spokane Arena carry

jeangordon

imported post

I was trying to find a definitive answer as to whether I can carry at the Spokane Arena...

I don't have to open carry and I have my CPL.

If they do a search, then what can I expect? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

ps. I did use the search feature but there was only a little info.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I CCed at the arena tonight at the Shock game. The very worst thing that could happen if you get caught is being asked to leave. My opinion is that it is legal toOC or CC at the arena. I have not tested OC there yet. Its late but I will post the RCW for you tomorrow.

Remember I am not a lawyer, do your own research, arrive at your own conclusions.

Lammo

imported post

I believe this is covered by RCW 9.41.300(2)(b)(i):

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

If they try to hide and say the Arena is leased to the Shock (or the Chiefs or whoever) so they can make whatever rules they want during their events, then I think the worst that could happen is for you to be asked to leave. If they acknowledge, as I believe they must, that the Arena is a public facility, then the CPL holder is covered by the above.

PS: IAAL. The above does not constitute legal advice and represents only my interpretation of the relevant statute. The only thing I can guarantee is that I would personally decline to prosecute a CPL holder for a firearm possession offense occurring at the Spokane Arena.

o2ryan

imported post

RCW 9.41.300 reads:
(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:

(a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and

(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:

(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060;

My limited grasp of the english language would lead me to believe that you cannot be prohibited from carrying to the arena should you hold a valid CPL.

My personal experience as an employee of the arena says don't bother with open carry or you will be asked to leave. I think that should be challenged, but I will not bite the hand that feeds me.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

jeangordonI must appoligize to you as I forgot to get back to you. Now I must thank Lammo and snarlywino for doing what I forgot to do.

Snarly you deffinatly should not be the one to challange this one, please do not.