• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC LEO encounter!

Wglide90

imported post

Hi Guys, It was only a matter of time that I was stopped on my Harley while OCing. I was helping my Girlfriend and housemate move into new house in Taylor, I had my truck and my trailor over there and I came over on my bike to help finish up carrying stuff in.

I left to go to card game and was out on Ecorse passing Atlas Park towards Beech Daly. Taylor PD flashed pulled behind with lights on. I went through the light at Beech and pulled into the gas station there and made sure I stopped with his car right behind so to be on his vid.

I took my helmet, sungalsses and gloves off and put my hands on handlebars. Watched him in mirror come up on weak side. He asked for my DL and I asked why he stopped me. He insisted on my DL. I kept hands on HBs. I then told him I was Practicing my right to Open Carry and did have my CPL. He then asked where my weapon was, I told him it was on my strong side right side. He then stated I had him at a disadvantage! :what:

I told him my DL was in my vest pocket (in vest pocket so if this happened I wouldn't be reaching toward my back pocket by my S&W) and asked if OK to get it. He approved, so I gave him my DL and then he was happy, and said needed to know who I was for the traffic violations. Which he stated were speeding in 40 mph zone (never did say how fast actually), and loud pipes. I haven't heard that one in 30 years. He never asked for CPL.

I told him I would take it easy and keep the pipes quiet, told him I had baffles athomeand if he would let me go with warning.

He went to his cruiser and came back with DL only in hand and wanted to talk about OCing. He sad I was smart guy and knew the laws and he went on about how do you OC when the law says you can only transport for specfic purposes such as hunting, target, blah, blah... I told him that that is why we went in front of his chief and city council to ask the city to change the old laws.

He asked how we were treated and I said it was a very well received of our request and that his council and chief supported us. He started saying how I was a good guy and smart to carry. He did get stuck on the transport thing I told him it will change so the whole state is on same plane on the laws to OC, and I kinda let it go so I could get out of there without ticket. He said it was OK and supported me, so I went on myway.

All in all I think my first time at this was OK and made good impression on our group for our efforts there. I really thank this group for giving my the support and confidence to do the right thing. Worked out OK as it should.

I also commend the Taylor officer for being professional about the nice visit we had.

:celebrate

eastmeyers

imported post

Good encounter. If I were you I would memorize hit last name, just in case you ever get harassed by the same department, just ask hay is so-and-so working right now? Just curious him and I have had a great discussion before about OC.

Well God Bless.

Wglide90

imported post

Hey Doug, AMBOY, Thankx. I think it well, of course I always think I should have done this and said that...

Eastmeyers, Oh I got the inside story on the officer. So I'll remember him. Pretty much found out all I need to know about him during and moments after the visit.

It went well in part due, well probably all part to Glock9 starting his push at the city council that I joined along and was able to site that occurence to him on the spot. Thankx buddy!