• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC experience Spanish Springs

MikeDonat

imported post

Earlier today, a friend and I decided after an hour or so of shooting in the heat that an iced coffee from Starbucks sounded awesome. We have both been viewing the forums for quite some time now, and familiarizing ourselves with State and local law. We became comfortable enough to OC even though honestly the first time was a little nerve racking beings that were both 19 and a majority of society portrays us younger guys as somewhat reckless. I look about 17 while on the other hand my buddy could probably get away with buying a beer with his thick facial hair.:lol:

We walk into the store and are greeted by one of the employees and stand in line to order our drinks. By the way, this was the Starbucks located off Los Alto's in the Spanish Springs Galleria, we passed the Disk Starbucks beings that it was very busy and we didn't want to direct much attention to us because it was our first time carrying on store property. We kept our distance from the man ordering in front of us, who did a quick double take at my buddy's Smith and Wesson M&P. He finished ordering and gave one last glance and sat at his table. The employees working didn't seem to pay much attention or maybe even care we were carrying; (which is what i hoped) maybe its a common thing for Starbucks employees. We then got our drinks from the bar area where the employee had a clear line of sight to my left hip, smiled and thanked us for our business. I thanked him back and proceeded to tip them 3 crisp dollar bills and left the store.

Nothing exciting for all you veterans, sorry to drag it on but i thought i would share my first experience with you guys.

-Mike D

Gordie

imported post

Sounds like overall, a total nonevent, just as it should be. Glad you had a good experience.

Yard Sale

imported post

I was carrying (concealed) there yesterday morning and ran into a co-worker. Woulda been interesting had I been OC. I've been OC'ing a lot this weekend with no issues but I'm significantly older than you and I think people just assume I'm a cop. (People are sheep.) I imagine it's different for somebody under 30 and way different for somebody under 21.

Do not OC anywhere without your recorder. I have horror stories about Sparks police.

MikeDonat

imported post

Do not OC anywhere without your recorder. I have horror stories about Sparks police.
We were also armed with our Flip video cameras for that particular reason.:dude:

mind sharing some of these stories?
-MikeD

gunrunner1911

imported post

The one SBs onDisc is used to our little groups Wed ritual some OC some CC but we usually have quite an "event" before we head to our little canyon to shoot. HD doesn't care Walmart had one issue it was more of an employee who didn't like the idea of it because he couldn't carry but customers could manager couldn't really care except that she said she would ask corporate about. I talked with the employee further he was fine with it understood was pro 2A but upset they could not even off work. 7-11 Eagle canyon had one girl ask me if I was LEO said she was not used to seeing "people" carrying nothing more on the subject. Radio Shack had a "kid" tell me his friend was under 21 was planning OC till he can CC talked at length about it. He was unsure he would do it but wasn't worried about others. The family in there didn't seem to care and actually listened a little to our conversation. I think if you venture more to the Spoarks Blvd. Scheels area you'll have a different reaction. I would never go to Scheels or buy a gun from them because of there policy on weapons on the property. Nothing like being hypocrits.

MikeDonat

imported post

Radio Shack had a "kid" tell me his friend was under 21 was planning OC till he can CC talked at length about it. He was unsure he would do it but wasn't worried about others.
How funny.
The "kid" must have been Daniel, and the friend under 21 is me! Im actually an employee there as well.
:)

-MikeD

gunrunner1911

imported post

Well I hope to run into you there some time. Sparks/Reno is finally getting smaller for OC. When your ready for CC let me know.

Yard Sale

I was at the Galleria FedEx last night and the truck driver there asked me about OC. He thought we had to "remove the clip" to OC. (I obviously had a magazine in my pistol, plus a spare.) I said not in Nevada, unloaded carry is one state over in California.

gunrunner1911

I have a couple but for the most part it was handled well by the back up officer who informed the other that OC was legal. It's a 50/50 crap shoot in my opinion but I think most jams won't require a DVR. It's is good to be a Boy Scout though.

Yard Sale

Are your stories from a particular part of town, particular cops, or just like a mousetrap that you never know when it will snap?
Suspicionless roadblocks and false arrest for Contempt of Cop when I remained silent. (Before the recent SCOTUS decision.) Also falsified evidence and a toothless restraining order. (Don't ever come around here again? But I live here.)

Judge.410

O.C. experiance

O.C.ed last evening and stopped to get a few things at Save-Mart at Pyrimad Hwy out north. I did have on a shirt and tie and slacks. My Kimber pro-carry II , and 2 spare mags. In the store about 30 min.without any notice. Once back in the parking lot....heading for my car, 2 young men where talking behind a pick-up (I'm an old guy) as I walked past them,about 30ft later I hear 1 of the young men say out loud " Hey open carry in Nevada...right on"...I looked over my shoulder and gave them a smile without breaking stride. I recieved a big smile back. How it should be.

gunrunner1911

Well aparently it's time for a meet up in Spanish Springs to say hello. I've always carried concealed in The Lake Club and Buckhons. I'm not sure how they might respond. I held CCW class at Round Table once because of some bad weather. They were fine with it including the OC. The room is free and buffet cheap.