Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Fantastic Forum

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Temecula, , USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    First let me say what a great forum! Hats off to those working profusely to protect our rights to open carry.

    I do have a couple of questions

    1. EDIT - Found the open carry pamphlet.

    2. I'll be honest I just don't feel comfortable open carrying a gun in California. Actually let me rephrase that, I don't have the balls. Although this group is encouraging. Just being honest. Until this forum I wasn't aware just how legal it was to OC. Amazing what your led to believe over the years. Instead I've opted to carry an M26 Taser instead, I assume a Taser would following the same OC laws?


    Thanks

  2. #2
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    chrisfromcali wrote:
    First let me say what a great forum! Hats off to those working profusely to protect our rights to open carry.

    I do have a couple of questions

    1. EDIT - Found the open carry pamphlet.

    2. I'll be honest I just don't feel comfortable open carrying a gun in California. Actually let me rephrase that, I don't have the balls. Although this group is encouraging. Just being honest. Until this forum I wasn't aware just how legal it was to OC. Amazing what your led to believe over the years. Instead I've opted to carry an M26 Taser instead, I assume a Taser would following the same OC laws?


    Thanks
    Welcome to the California OCDO forum.

    A far as I am aware, there are no prohibitions to carrying a tazer openly. Of course that is not the focus of this forum. Since the M26 I have seen appears to be in the shape and color of a handgun, prepare to get the same level of attention from police we would have from a firearm... for a non-firearm.


    To me,carrying a tazeris a little like the fellows who want to carry an airsoft or a BB gun to 'open carry'. If it is not immediately and repeatedly available for self-defense such as a knife or a gun, I would say you were using the chain latch on the door for security.





    If youseek soveriegnty, liberty, and security, get educated about the ridiculous carrylimitations in California and find your testicles. Audacity is the only means by whichfree menpreserve their rights.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    ...Audacity is the only means by whichfree menpreserve their rights.
    Ilove this quote. Did you get this from somewhere or did you come up with it by yourself?
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Temecula, , USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Well this forum is by far helping me build up the courage to open carry. The amount of information packed in one place is encouraging.

    However I'm not really understanding your point about the Taser.

    o me, carrying a tazer is a little like the fellows who want to carry an airsoft or a BB gun to 'open carry'. If it is not immediately and repeatedly available for self-defense such as a knife or a gun, I would say you were using the chain latch on the door for security.
    Why would my Taser be any less repeatedly available?

  5. #5
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    chrisfromcali wrote:
    Well this forum is by far helping me build up the courage to open carry. The amount of information packed in one place is encouraging.

    However I'm not really understanding your point about the Taser.

    o me, carrying a tazer is a little like the fellows who want to carry an airsoft or a BB gun to 'open carry'. If it is not immediately and repeatedly available for self-defense such as a knife or a gun, I would say you were using the chain latch on the door for security.
    Why would my Taser be any less repeatedly available?
    Allow me to ask; How many shots do you have with your Taser? What is the effective range of your Taser? If you miss, or the darts do not make good contact with an assailant, how quickly can you discharge the Taser again to deter them? Would you use a Taser to confront an assailant armed with a firearm?

    As for quotation; Unless otherwise cited, thewords aremy own, however the concept expressed is attributable to many others.

    Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. ~Thomas Paine

    In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

    We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it. ~William Faulkner

    All might be free if they valued freedom, and defended it as they should. ~Samuel Adams




    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  6. #6
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    chrisfromcali wrote:
    Instead I've opted to carry an M26 Taser instead, I assume a Taser would following the same OC laws?
    I wouldn't be so sure about this. California law specifically states that the open carrying of a handgun in a belt holster is legal. Through state preemption, local municipalities cannot supersede this, so even though some cities may have laws stating that carrying of handguns is illegal, those laws are unenforceable.

    I'm not familiar with taser laws at all. Is there a law which says carrying a taser in a holster is legal? If not, you may have to check the codes of every city and county that you are in before you can be sure that you're not violating a law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    bigtoe416 wrote:
    chrisfromcali wrote:
    Instead I've opted to carry an M26 Taser instead, I assume a Taser would following the same OC laws?
    I wouldn't be so sure about this. California law specifically states that the open carrying of a handgun in a belt holster is legal. Through state preemption, local municipalities cannot supersede this, so even though some cities may have laws stating that carrying of handguns is illegal, those laws are unenforceable.

    I'm not familiar with taser laws at all. Is there a law which says carrying a taser in a holster is legal? If not, you may have to check the codes of every city and county that you are in before you can be sure that you're not violating a law.
    There are no laws regarding taser carry in most places. Concealed or open is perfectly fine. Carry a recorder if carrying openly and assert your rights.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    Don't worry about feeling apprehensive about open carrying. TAKE YOUR TIME! I spent four months doing research on applicable PC, CVC and case laws before I even thought about it. Even after all that I was still a little nervous about it so I went out with just my holster for about a month just so I can get a feel for it. Once I got comfortable with it, I started open carrying and have been doing so just about every day.

    Like I said, I was nervous, but my number one purpose for open carrying is for self-defense; not so much the political side of it (although I support it 100%). After I realized that my safety and that of my girlfriend was paramount the decision to open carry became much more easy and I became much more comfortable with it.

    Take it slow. Do your research. Memorize as many laws and cases as possible. And carry a video/audio recorder with you.

    Mafera

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Temecula, , USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    Thanks for all the kind support. I appreciate it. I do think this is a first step, I plan to look into getting my weapon permit later this week.

    As for the Taser it shoots in burst of 5 seconds and can be repeated as needed, although from what I understand 5 seconds is enough. (Look at some of the Taser videos on Youtube) The model is an M26 made by Taser International. It's the same Taser used by many officers here in the states. (Found here: http://www.itaser.com/product_tour_x26c.html) I've seen this device used at a local casino here in town and I can see it's impressively effective.


    I also looked up our city laws and there is nothing in regards to Tasers. Same for states laws, from what I can tell so long as its not in a public building or during a public meeting there are no laws prohibiting concealed or unconcealed Tasers. I however do plan to call the local police department just to make sure.

    The civilian rage is around 15 feet and can be quickly reloaded if needed. And would I use it on someone pointing a loaded gun at me? What else am I to do, run? I suppose i would depend on the situation. I've seen videos of this device take down even the largest of men.

  10. #10
    Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Temecula, California, USA
    Posts
    1,660

    Post imported post

    bigtoe416 wrote:
    chrisfromcali wrote:
    Instead I've opted to carry an M26 Taser instead, I assume a Taser would following the same OC laws?
    I wouldn't be so sure about this. California law specifically states that the open carrying of a handgun in a belt holster is legal. Through state preemption, local municipalities cannot supersede this, so even though some cities may have laws stating that carrying of handguns is illegal, those laws are unenforceable.

    I'm not familiar with taser laws at all. Is there a law which says carrying a taser in a holster is legal? If not, you may have to check the codes of every city and county that you are in before you can be sure that you're not violating a law.
    Hey BT, I know you know this, but just for everyone's elses clarification. Laws are written to make activities and actions ILLEGAL, not legal. Activities and actions are always legal until expressly made illegal. Technicality, but very important distinction to remember if we're ever going to turn this oppressive boat around.


    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    SNIP In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    (chuckle)

    Typical of Uncle Frankie to make such an obvious misrepresentation of freedom. Freedom, in a society,is just being left alone by others; just others not interfering with oneself. In its truest sense (Frankie's words) freedomis a natural state, literally--it takes active interference from others to undo freedom. No achievement is necessary.

    Funny that one of the most anti-freedom Presidents we ever had tried such a trick.

    I know ConditionThree meant nothing by including the quote.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Escondido, California, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    chrisfromcali wrote:
    Thanks for all the kind support. I appreciate it. I do think this is a first step, I plan to look into getting my weapon permit later this week.

    As for the Taser it shoots in burst of 5 seconds and can be repeated as needed, although from what I understand 5 seconds is enough. (Look at some of the Taser videos on Youtube) The model is an M26 made by Taser International. It's the same Taser used by many officers here in the states. (Found here: http://www.itaser.com/product_tour_x26c.html) I've seen this device used at a local casino here in town and I can see it's impressively effective.


    I also looked up our city laws and there is nothing in regards to Tasers. Same for states laws, from what I can tell so long as its not in a public building or during a public meeting there are no laws prohibiting concealed or unconcealed Tasers. I however do plan to call the local police department just to make sure.

    The civilian rage is around 15 feet and can be quickly reloaded if needed. And would I use it on someone pointing a loaded gun at me? What else am I to do, run? I suppose i would depend on the situation. I've seen videos of this device take down even the largest of men.
    Asking (most) cops for legal advice is like screwing for virginity.

    Just say no.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Temecula, , USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    hmm Point taken. Well in that case I've searched high and low and contacted the manufacture. All say the same thing, Tasers are 100% legal to carry open and close in California as well as many other states. Surprisingly California has some of the most lax Taser laws. (With the exception of Texas which has no stipulations at all)

  14. #14
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    ConditionThree wrote:
    SNIP In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    (chuckle)

    Typical of Uncle Frankie to make such an obvious misrepresentation of freedom. Freedom, in a society,is just being left alone by others; just others not interfering with oneself. In its truest sense (Frankie's words) freedomis a natural state, literally--it takes active interference from others to undo freedom. No achievement is necessary.

    Funny that one of the most anti-freedom Presidents we ever had tried such a trick.

    I know ConditionThree meant nothing by including the quote.
    The quote is imperfect, not only because it came from a socialist demagogue, but also because freedom isnt an achievement in the sense it can be accomplished just once- it is something we must sieze continually- not just when a tyrant encroaches on us, or on patriotic days or when it is convenient.

    It is very dangerous to presume that freedom is simply the absense of tyranny. While the opposite can be true, liberty is onlymaintained when it is actively sought and protected.

    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •