• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Klingberg car show - New Britain

Alex.EastHartford.

imported post

Hey if Decide to come to EastHartford to Cabela's. Let me know in our next CCDL Meeting. you know we should all CT gunowners have a open carry weekend. everyone should open carry atsame time. starting friday at 6:00 A.M Till 12:00 Midnight. This will open a bigger to door to every eyes out there. I Am just pushing Topic a little further. JUST BRINGING IT. :idea: Open For Remarks Thanks.

Jay

imported post

Rich B wrote:
Nevermind, you have to travel through k-12 school grounds to enter. Sorry.

Would gun carrying on school property laws only apply if school is in session?

GoldCoaster

imported post

The way the law is written it's a school no matter the time of day, day of week or time of year (summer vacation). It's stupid. It needs changing to either allow permitted folks to carry on the grounds but perhaps not IN the school building during normal school hours. Perhaps we can get the next batch of legislators and our new Attorney General to work on that.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Rich B wrote:
A law preventing carry during school hours is equally stupid IMO.
Agreed, but there would be a huge pushback to get rid of GFZ completely so what we have to do is chip away at the more onerous parts of it, ie, the saturday/sunday parts, the summer parts, the after school hours parts which really can get in the way of your weekend if there's a function using the school field that isn't a school function.

These regulations were built up over time and likewise the path to remove them is to hack at their foundations until they are gutted and then get the vestiges removed before the anti's even figure out what happened.

Just my opinion as always but I think we'd have less uproar if we said "when school isn't in session the provisions against carry should be null and void" which on the face of it doesn't do anything to remove any perceived protection from "the children(tm)" but would add some real useful flexibility for us carriers - than if we say "carry in and around our kids school regardless when school is in session" - I guarantee the anti's would be all over that and legislators would not touch that with a pole.

Rich B

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Just my opinion as always but I think we'd have less uproar if we said "when school isn't in session the provisions against carry should be null and void" which on the face of it doesn't do anything to remove any perceived protection from "the children(tm)" but would add some real useful flexibility for us carriers - than if we say "carry in and around our kids school regardless when school is in session" - I guarantee the anti's would be all over that and legislators would not touch that with a pole.

I agree that we have to work in a strategic matter, but when talking to (potential) legislators and leaders, it seems to me that we should always be arguing the entire plan right to the core.

Spending all of our effort to get the right to carry off of school hours does nothing to actually win the war against incompetence. Even within our 2A support ranks you will encounter many people who will argue that guns should never be allowed in a school zone. Why? They only have an emotional bias based on 'the children'.

The emotional bias and reactionary laws are what needs to be brought up and destroyed. We need legislators who are not only pro 2A, but pro common sense and liberty. People who will go through laws themselves and put them up against the common sense and logic test. I guarantee if they do it right, none of these laws we talk about all the time will stand.

Our state would do far better with quite a bit less laws all around.

buketdude

imported post

Looks like until 1998 we could carry in K-12 Schools

Permission to carry a gun in a public school is limited. The deciding factor for those who may carry a gun is not whether they have been properly trained and licensed but rather why they are on school grounds. Generally, possessing a firearm or deadly weapon on school grounds is a class D felony, punishable by up to five years imprisonment, a $ 5,000 fine, or both. A person is guilty of this crime when, knowing they are not licensed or privileged to do so, a person possesses the weapon (1) in or on public or private elementary or secondary school property or (2) at a school-sponsored activity. However, this prohibition does not apply to the otherwise lawful possession by a:

1. person for use in a program approved by school officials that is on school property or at a school-sponsored activity (e. g. fire-arm safety program);

2. person in accordance with an agreement between the person or person's employer and the school district (e. g. security guard);

3. peace officer while engaged in the performance of his official duties; and

4. person while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or other lawful purposes, if the entry is authorized by the board of education and the weapon is unloaded (CGS § 53a-217b).

When this law was originally enacted in 1992, there was an additional exception for the lawful possession of a firearm by a person holding a valid state or local permit. However, this exception was eliminated in 1998.