Thread: Open carry on a motorcycle

Post imported post

I live in Michigan, have a cpl, and ride a motorcycle. It is my understanding that I may open carry on my bike. Am I right ?

Post imported post

You would get a better response and follow up if posted in the Michigan sub thread found here
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/

Post imported post

Yes you can but I don't recommend it because if you do not have a ccw then you can't transport on the motorcycle. So if you do you may get pulled over.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Post imported post

Duffy1 wrote:
    I live in Michigan, have a cpl, and ride a motorcycle. It is my understanding that I may open carry on my bike. Am I right ?
    Yes, you are correct. There is no statute in Michigan that requires a CPL holder to conceal because you have a CPL.

Post imported post

In Alabama, as far as we can tell, you can open carry on a bicycle or motorcycle.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Banned

Post imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
    In Alabama, as far as we can tell, you can open carry on a bicycle or motorcycle.
    On a motorcycle, only with a CPL. A motorcycle is considered a vehicle, and AL law requires a CPL to carry in a vehicle.

Yeah, one can argue the word "in," but it will be a loser in court--with nasty consequences.

Post imported post

We're still trying to figure out what the law means on that. Sunday myself and Johnathan met a law student who made the argument that holding the gun to the roof of the car with a magnet isn't "in" the vehicle. But if I'm on a bicycle I'm on foot. I can motorize a bicycle without removing the capability to pedal it. But I digress...
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Banned

Post imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
    We're still trying to figure out what the law means on that. Sunday myself and Johnathan met a law student who made the argument that holding the gun to the roof of the car with a magnet isn't "in" the vehicle. But if I'm on a bicycle I'm on foot. I can motorize a bicycle without removing the capability to pedal it. But I digress...
    If you motorize the bicycle, it becomes "propelled" and, as a consequence, becomes a vehicle.

Putting a magnetized holster on a car to skirt the CPL requirement would, I say again, land one in court, where the argument would focus inadvisedly on the choice of preposition. Again, I predict it is a loser--one with serious consequences.

On the other hand, should someone win such a case, the legislature would immediately add twelve other prepositions to the law. So, rather than motivating the repeal of the offending provision, the legislature would be pushed, more or less, pushed toward re-approving it, making repeal less likely.

Post imported post

It flat out does not matter. If you do anything besides put the gun unloaded in the trunk you are illegally transporting the gun. It doesn't matter if it's visible or not the law considers the gun concealed.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Post imported post

I have a concealed pistols license, ( CPL )

Post imported post

I know so you are fine. But I was talking about the people who thought that by magnetizing a holster or w/e would make it legal because it's "open". It doesn't matter you are still "transporting" the gun by a propelled vehicle so that still wouldn't work.