• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on a motorcycle

Duffy

imported post

I live in Michigan, have a cpl, and ride a motorcycle. It is my understanding that I may open carry on my bike. Am I right ?

xmanhockey7

imported post

Yes you can but I don't recommend it because if you do not have a ccw then you can't transport on the motorcycle. So if you do you may get pulled over.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Duffy1 wrote:
I live in Michigan, have a cpl, and ride a motorcycle. It is my understanding that I may open carry on my bike. Am I right ?
Yes, you are correct. There is no statute in Michigan that requires a CPL holder to conceal because you have a CPL.

eye95

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
In Alabama, as far as we can tell, you can open carry on a bicycle or motorcycle.
On a motorcycle, only with a CPL. A motorcycle is considered a vehicle, and AL law requires a CPL to carry in a vehicle.

Yeah, one can argue the word "in," but it will be a loser in court--with nasty consequences.

Kirbinator

imported post

We're still trying to figure out what the law means on that. Sunday myself and Johnathan met a law student who made the argument that holding the gun to the roof of the car with a magnet isn't "in" the vehicle. But if I'm on a bicycle I'm on foot. I can motorize a bicycle without removing the capability to pedal it. But I digress...

eye95

imported post

Kirbinator wrote:
We're still trying to figure out what the law means on that. Sunday myself and Johnathan met a law student who made the argument that holding the gun to the roof of the car with a magnet isn't "in" the vehicle. But if I'm on a bicycle I'm on foot. I can motorize a bicycle without removing the capability to pedal it. But I digress...
If you motorize the bicycle, it becomes "propelled" and, as a consequence, becomes a vehicle.

Putting a magnetized holster on a car to skirt the CPL requirement would, I say again, land one in court, where the argument would focus inadvisedly on the choice of preposition. Again, I predict it is a loser--one with serious consequences.

On the other hand, should someone win such a case, the legislature would immediately add twelve other prepositions to the law. So, rather than motivating the repeal of the offending provision, the legislature would be pushed, more or less, pushed toward re-approving it, making repeal less likely.

xmanhockey7

imported post

It flat out does not matter. If you do anything besides put the gun unloaded in the trunk you are illegally transporting the gun. It doesn't matter if it's visible or not the law considers the gun concealed.

xmanhockey7

imported post

I know so you are fine. But I was talking about the people who thought that by magnetizing a holster or w/e would make it legal because it's "open". It doesn't matter you are still "transporting" the gun by a propelled vehicle so that still wouldn't work.