• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT!!! OC Help Needed at Mason, MI Event

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So far there aren't too many people confirmed for this event @ A&W next Saturday @ 1pm. Less than 6 & one is too young to carry! It may look bad for the OC movement if the Channel 10 news crew from Lansing shows up and runs a story like: "light turn out for an OC event" or worse yet "OC group gets little support at Mason outing."

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/44416.html

I know we are all busy, but if there's any way you can make this please do! Every good showing we have helps the cause. Like wise poor showings may hurt the cause if the media spins them in an unfair way.

Please see the link above to sign up.

Thanks in advance fellow OCers for supporting our good cause!

:D

Sincerely,

G9mmOS

DanM

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
So far there aren't too many people confirmed for this event @ A&W next Saturday @ 1pm. Less than 6 & one is too young to carry! It may look bad for the OC movement if the Channel 10 news crew from Lansing shows up and runs a story like: "light turn out for an OC event" or worse yet "OC group gets little support at Mason outing."

The news won't spin it that way unless A)they were led to believe this will bea big event or B)their anti-gun bias gets in the way of objective reporting.

If the reason is "A", then shame on whoever led them to believe that, or if the reason is "B" then it don't matter how big it is, the reporting will still be negative.

I would relax about the group sizeand if the news shows up, just let 'em know open carry is growing in Michigan andyour little get-together is representative of what hundreds of OC'ers in Michigan do all over the state.

DetroitBiker

imported post

Some people may have reservations about attending an event like this, that is put on by a minor that is not old enough to legally carry himself. Im not saying the Ponderosa event was ruined by his lack of experience in event planning. But there are people that dobelieve that. And Im thinking thats why some are shying away from any events that this 17 year old is planning right now. Just my opinion,I m not trying to bash lil freak.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DetroitBiker wrote:
Some people may have reservations about attending an event like this, that is put on by a minor that is not old enough to legally carry himself. Im not saying the Ponderosa event was ruined by his lack of experience in event planning. But there are people that dobelieve that. And Im thinking thats why some are shying away from any events that this 17 year old is planning right now. Just my opinion,I m not trying to bash lil freak.
I understand what you are saying completely. This is part of the reason I am attending to "help the cause". I don't think he can be faulted for the carry of a long gun by someone else? Or did I miss something? :question:

DetroitBiker

imported post

yes ,I think you might be missing a few things. I will PM you, so that this thread doesnt go to far off topic.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Off topic but needing to be said...........

So at 1 minute after midnight of this 17 year old's 18th birthday he will suddenly become.... acceptable.... to all the nay saying adults because now he can legally open carry?

Never mind that this 17 year old is out there believing in, and working for, open carry.. the very same thing those nay saying adults are doing...

Never mind that this 17 year old has set up events and has learned a great deal about how to do it from the small mistakes he made setting up the Ponderosa event. The long gun showing up at the Ponderosa event was in no way any of this 17 year old's responsibility any more than it would have been for an "adult" who set up the event.

Never mind that many "adults" within the OC community never have set up an event and some don't go to those events anyway.

Yeah, let's just hammer on this 17 year old because... well... he's 17, wet behind the ears and learning as he goes. You know, just like we all did when we were 17.

For the record... Yooperlady, who is 65 years old, and I, almost 62 years old, have much faith in our youth who get off their arse and go out and do things to further gun rights. Mistakes and all.

A thought to ponder.... where will the next generation of OC'ers come from if we do not encourage the one coming up? You know... those teenagers?

malignity

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Off topic but needing to be said...........

So at 1 minute after midnight of this 17 year old's 18th birthday he will suddenly become.... acceptable.... to all the nay saying adults because now he can legally open carry?

Never mind that this 17 year old is out there believing in, and working for, open carry.. the very same thing those nay saying adults are doing...

Never mind that this 17 year old has set up events and has learned a great deal about how to do it from the small mistakes he made setting up the Ponderosa event. The long gun showing up at the Ponderosa event was in no way any of this 17 year old's responsibility any more than it would have been for an "adult" who set up the event.

Never mind that many "adults" within the OC community never have set up an event and some don't go to those events anyway.

Yeah, let's just hammer on this 17 year old because... well... he's 17, wet behind the ears and learning as he goes. You know, just like we all did when we were 17.

For the record... Yooperlady, who is 65 years old, and I, almost 62 years old, have much faith in our youth who get off their arse and go out and do things to further gun rights. Mistakes and all.

A thought to ponder.... where will the next generation of OC'ers come from if we do not encourage the one coming up? You know... those teenagers?

Agreed. Age is just a number. I'm 26. Have I hosted an OC event? No. Have I talked to the news about the legality of OC? No. Have I talked to anyone about OC other than family and friends at work? No... actually, I haven't.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how old he is. Ask yourself this question: What have YOU done for the Open Carry Movement? If the answer is nothing, or pretty damn close like mine, other than just OC myself and attend an event here and there, then I think you need to re-evaluate your logic, because there's someone out there who believes in helping with a movement that he is unable to even partake in himself so much, that he's dedicated probably at least as much, if not more time than yourself.

Now I understand, this isn't the case for all of you, and that some of you actively assist in the movement by going to board meetings, sending letters, etc. Good for you. He's doing the best he can with what he has to work with; and like I said, it's a hell of a lot more than some. Throw the first stone if you want, but unless you're doing more than he, you have no room at all to talk.

yooperlady

imported post

Wow..can not believe what I am reading. Can you imagine a 17 year old, a minor set up an open carry event. God forbid he is only 17. Thank-you God for this wonderful person who has, THE WANT, to be evolved in something we all care about. Our rights! If there were more young people like lil freak more things would get done.

Your saying your not trying to bash lil freak. What are you doing then?
Reminding every one about the Ponderosa incident. Which my friend was not his fault. Time to drop this crap and congratulate him for doing a fine job. He is doing great and it is time you all recognize that.

If there are mistakes made, hey you correct them. We all make mistakes, but we don't quit. We keep on keeping on.

I want to tell you lil freak your doing a great job. Won't be long and you will be 18 and then you will go into the military and fight for our FREEDOM and RIGHTS.
I want to THANK-YOU for making that decision for us.

Keep up the good work.

B

Bikenut

imported post

dougwg wrote:
This is not a game people.

I don't want someone "learning as they go" with what is at stake.....sorry if you don't like my concerns.
So are you volunteering to set up seminars to train people how to set up events?

How many "adults" set up their first event and "learned as they went"?

And I am not the least bit sorry for defending our youth.

Edited to add:
With all the recent media exposure to the nasty things going on in opposition to OC it really is imperative that all events have a multitude of people show up regardless of who set it up... quite frankly, it would help if other gun rights groups were to show up at these events too whether they OC'ed or not.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
dougwg wrote:
This is not a game people.

I don't want someone "learning as they go" with what is at stake.....sorry if you don't like my concerns.
So are you volunteering to set up seminars to train people how to set up events?

How many "adults" set up their first event and "learned as they went"?

And I am not the least bit sorry for defending our youth.
I did (Taylor event). It was not the easiest thing I ever did. Without the help of many veterans including Dougwg, taxwhat, Venator, sprinklerguy28, scot623 and many, many others it would not have gone nearly as well as it did. This is why I am offering my support here, I know what it's like to get one of these events to be successful. No easy task in my honest opinion. Thanks again to all who showed up or offered other help.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

for the record, lil freak has done more for oc in Michigan than most people on this board. people who have concerns about the ponderosa event were not there.

I think more good came out of the ponderosa event than any amount of bad.

but people want to be dramatic and think that they are more holy than thou etc etc so this kind of thing becomes an issue.

thanks for all the work you do lil freak.

autosurgeon

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
for the record, lil freak has done more for oc in Michigan than most people on this board. people who have concerns about the ponderosa event were not there.

I think more good came out of the ponderosa event than any amount of bad.

but people want to be dramatic and think that they are more holy than thou etc etc so this kind of thing becomes an issue.

thanks for all the work you do lil freak.

I would second that Kyle! He was a great help today at the seminar. Not to mention all the places he has gotten OC friendly stickers installed and even corporate carry friendly policies he has discovered... and all of this from a person who is not yet directly benefiting from this!

Trust me when I say this is not a game to Lilfreak... he is deadly serious about furthering the cause and puts in tons of his time and effort in investigating things and following up with management and business owners.

Like all of us he is still learning but he is doing a great job IMOP!

lil_freak_66

imported post

i thank everyone for your support of me,and those whom are against me,your entitled to your opinion i suppose,with the exception of one person(whom is no longer with us) nobody has said anything toward me to make me hold a grudge against them,or feel differently about them in any way.

WILX knows full well how many people intend to come to the A&W lunch,and how many more are possibilities.
they have been more than good with OC stories,making them in either a pro or neutral fashion.If they show up i trust that they will continue that practice.

But,in case they do show up(id assume it to be a50-75% probability) more people wouldn't hurt!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

More is always better when the media is concerned.

Plus this was to get a message out to the Co. Sheriff that we are not a "bunch of yahoos" correct? What better way then to have a large group of law abiding citizens show up in town while OCing & supporting local business. A win for everyone but him.

lil_freak_66

imported post

that reminds me,should i invite him to lunch with us? to address any concerns we may have,or he may have,of course:lol: