• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry laws in state/national parks

VaGunTrader

imported post

I'm researching for a freind who is coming out from Virginia to ride ATV at some park...MOAB maybe??

Anyway, can someone here point me in the right direction for website info on open carry/ conceal carry in parks for your state.

THANKS !!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

trx680 wrote:
I'm researching for a freind who is coming out from Virginia to ride ATV at some park...MOAB maybe??

Anyway, can someone here point me in the right direction for website info on open carry/ conceal carry in parks for your state.
I'd start with this one <http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com>.

Also go to the source at <http://www.le.state.ut.us/UtahCode/title.jsp>.

In particular, note is 76-10-5xx available at <http://www.le.state.ut.us/UtahCode/section.jsp?code=76-10> and 76-10-500 at <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050000.htm> which is our State preemption.

With the exception of local limits on discharge we enjoy nearly total State preemption on gun laws. State parks, local parks, etc are not off limits locations and so possession of firearm is legal.

Conceal carry is legal with a valid permit from anywhere in the nation. Open carry is also legal with a permit from anywhere in the nation.

It is not lawful to carry a fully loaded gun in public without a permit to carry. You may legally open carry without a permit so long as the gun is not "loaded" (as per 76-10-501; keep one out of the chamber and you are ok) and so long as you are not inside a prohibited area (included school zones which in Utah includes K-12, plus pre-school/day-cares, and all post-secondary schools, plus 1000 feet out from the campuses of same). A permit from anywhere in the nation exempts you from the State GFSZ law, but may not exempt you from the federal GFSZ law. We have a lot of school zones in urban/sub-urban areas of the State.

OC is fairly well accepted in most areas as long as you don't look like trouble, but may occasionally raise the ire of some cop. With a permit in hand, you are almost always golden. Without a permit, know the law very well. Concealed and casually concealed carry is easy with a permit.

Excepting National Parks, most federal lands in Utah have long mirrored State law in regard to gun possession; now that the NPS mirrors State law there is almost no place in Utah where you cannot legally carry with a valid permit from anywhere in the nation. (Excepting post offices, NPS visitor centers, and other federal buildings.)

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and so on and so forth.

Enjoy your visit to Utah.

Charles

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
It is not lawful to carry a fully loaded gun in public without a permit to carry. You may legally open carry without a permit so long as the gun is not "loaded" (as per 76-10-501; keep one out of the chamber and you are ok) and so long as you are not inside a prohibited area (included school zones which in Utah includes K-12, plus pre-school/day-cares, and all post-secondary schools, plus 1000 feet out from the campuses of same).
Since you're asking about an ATV trip, I think it's also important to mention that in (or on) a vehicle, it's legal to carry a handgun any way you'd like, without a permit, including in school zones (per Utah law). Fully loaded, concealed or open -- it's all good. ATVs are vehicles. If the gun is on your body, be careful when you step off the ATV, though, because once you're off the ATV the normal prohibition on concealed carry and loaded carry kicks in.

Also, to be very precise, open loaded carry without a permit is illegal "on public streets". What's a public street? I don' t know; the law doesn't define it. Utahbagpiper suggested interpreting it as meaning "in public", which is a very conservative reading. Personally, I think you're unlikely to run into trouble while traveling through the woods, and once you get to your campground you're at your temporary habitation and again have the right to carry however you like.

Be safe and have fun!