• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chat with David Graves

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

I was at the Walworth County Dairy Breakfast and there were a lot of politicians there. JB Van Hollen, Steven Nass, Neil Kedzie, David Graves, Rebecca Kleefisch.

The only one I got to spend some quality time with is David Graves. I asked him a few questions.

1. I asked him what he thought of OC. He said he had no problem with it and he said that all the Sheriffs email each other and for example, the Sheriff of Eau Claire County has been telling his peers that 'we' are alright and not to worry about OC picnics and such. He mentioned the incident where protias I believe had the encounter at the Chinese restaurant and he implied that 'we' over reacted to that encounter since the employee told the trooper guns weren't allowed.

2. On CC, he said he didn't support the last proposed law since it put a large burden on his department and he didn't have the manpower to do all the background checks required. I asked if he would support 'constitutional carry' and he looked at me for a few seconds. He was basically noncommittal but implied he would have to see the details, so it wasn't a no.

We continued the conversation and he mentioned that additional laws do not really fix anything, which I agree with. Criminals are criminals.

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Yes. Read Chapter 19 with an open mind and for understanding and not to argue some received knowledge. There is also a Cliff Notes version on the DoJ site.
Yep, he is right again, but this does not apply to Washington Island. I have yet to get any reply from that local Government. I think I have to make the drive, and boat up to get it. Must not have phones yet I guess...

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Yes. Read Chapter 19 with an open mind and for understanding and not to argue some received knowledge. There is also a Cliff Notes version on the DoJ site.
Yep, he is right again, but this does not apply to Washington Island. I have yet to get any reply from that local Government. I think I have to make the drive, and boat up to get it. Must not have phones yet I guess...
Details please. I have not seen the communication. Was it mailed, virtual or oral? Addressed to the board, chairman or the clerk?

I would just love to go into the Town Office and rant about disregarding communications. I will not without knowing that is the case.

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AaronS wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Details please. I have not seen the communication. Was it mailed, virtual or oral? Addressed to the board, chairman or the clerk?

I would just love to go into the Town Office and rant about disregarding communications. I will not without knowing that is the case.
Well the e-mail I sent (to the PD) twice now,once on 11/17/2009, and again on 5/6/2010. No response at all. I do have both "sent" e-mails still...

Now I just took a look at your town web site, and see that it is all changed.

[align=left]§ 205-2. Discharge of firearm or weapons.[/align]

[align=left]No person shall carry a firearm or weapon or attempt to discharge or cause to be discharged[/align]

[align=left]such a device within the limits of Washington Island, Detroit Island, or Rock Island, all[/align]
located within the Town of Washington, except as provided by the following exceptions...

So, whats up with that? I would have thought that this old law would be gone by now...? If you don't mind me asking, could you please bring it up at your next board meeting?

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

The PD is not the responsible party.

A demand is anile and moot. You have no standing, political or legislative.

If your e-mail was not a Chapter 19 Open Records Request then I am sure that it went straight to the bit bucket. A Ch. 19 demand must be written on paper to be prosecuted. Please read Chapter 19 for understanding and not to argue your inadequate received knowledge.

No, I will not bring it up. The Chairman has made it clear that he wants Chapter. 205 to prevent rifle hunting if and when the DNR eases those restrictions. Yes, it is an ignorant opinion. Unfortunately the majority of the Town Board is similarly ignorant.

I will present a Second Amendment Resolution at the next Town Board meeting, but I have no great hopes for it.

If you want effective action then a USPS mailed letter to the Chairman and Town Clerk with copies to the Town Board might work. The Chairman does not have a computer.

I will address the Island's ordinances to the next Board and Chairman, whom I will delight in giving a red-ass. Indeed, my vote for him is intended to give him apoplexy so that he can be replaced soonest.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

AaronS wrote:
Well the e-mail I sent (to the PD) twice now,once on 11/17/2009, and again on 5/6/2010. No response at all. I do have both "sent" e-mails still...
The Washington Island Police Department has not received any requests by either email or by US mail. Maybe this individual sent it to the wrong email address or sent to Sheriffs Department.

OIC

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

He mentioned the incident where protias I believe had the encounter at the Chinese restaurant and he implied that 'we' over reacted to that encounter since the employee told the trooper guns weren't allowed.

While I recognize that when dealing with mass media and people and sharing information you have to speak on a 1st grade level because news media is to flash-bang to deal with complex or involved issues...

having said that, I'm still amazed that with regard to the China-Wok incident so many people (mostly leo) don't "get it".

I mean its right there on video. There was no issue, no disturbance, everything was A-OK until Trooper ants-in-his-pants decided to go cause a disturbance.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
While I recognize that when dealing with mass media and people and sharing information you have to speak on a 1st grade level because news media is to flash-bang to deal with complex or involved issues...

having said that, I'm still amazed that with regard to the China-Wok incident so many people (mostly leo) don't "get it".
Well done, on a 1st grade level too!

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AaronS wrote:
The Washington Island Police Department has not received any requests by either email or by US mail. Maybe this individual sent it to the wrong email address or sent to Sheriffs Department.

OIC
Should I tell everyone holding their breaths to continue to wait, or -- to continue to wait?

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
AaronS wrote:

OIC
Should I tell everyone holding their breaths to continue to wait, or -- to continue to wait?
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8" The address listed back when the e-mails were sent was wipd@itol.com. I do not think it is worth holding your breath, but feel free.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

AaronS wrote:
The address listed back when the e-mails were sent was wipd@itol.com.
That may have been the address in 2009 but since we have joined the 21th Century with Broadband by Power Line.

It is @bpl.coop

I told the OIC to expect your e-mail. I told you that he is not the responsible party, that a demand e-mail cannot be prosecuted under Chapter 19, that a snail mail via USPS is much more likely to get attention, and that it should be addressed to the Chairman and Clerk with copies to the Board explicitly requested.