• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Re-recognition of Open Carry Grows

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The August/September edition of Guns and Ammo: Handguns magazine references open carry in two articles. OC is no longer just mentioned in an editorial or letter to the editor.

In an article titled Cops and Concealed Carry, page 8, Bob Pilgrim gives suggestions on what to do when traffic stopped while carrying. He begins the article by pointing out that the number of CCW permit holders has grown dramatically, then writes, "With this fact and open carry laws, it is very likely that a local, municipal or state police officer will come in contact with a lawfully armed citizen." (emphasis added by Citizen).

In an article titled American's Top Handgun Towns, page 40, Brian McCombie lists what he considers the top handgunning cities in the country. Under the name of each city he gives the population of the city,whetherit is "shall issue" (one isn't), and whether it is open carry (all are!).If one wanted to be enthusiastic about OC (I'm guilty!), one could argue that the OC angle impliesthat you are not a top handgunning city unless you do not prohibit OC!

On newstands now.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:
The August/September edition of Guns and Ammo: Handguns ... Bob Pilgrim gives suggestions on what to do when traffic stopped while carrying.
Because he did not consult US OCDO, would we approve of his suggestions?
He really only seems to make suggestions for folks stopped in must-notify states. His suggestions seem intelligent. He even suggests thata person, "protest but cooperate fully" with a temporary weapon seizure.

Earlier, Pilgrimmentions that most officers with who he has spoken want to know if the person stopped is armed, butstops short of recommending a citizen notify even in a non-notify state. The closest he came was in saying that in his recent stop in a non-notify state, he notified.

I would rather he put more into the 4th Amendment angles (Pilgrim didn't even mention PA vs Mimms);but I suppose the editor has some say in that. Plus pressure to fit all on one page with a nice photo of a traffic stop

But, get a copy for yourself. Or, insist the local public librarian carry it. :)