• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arts Beats and Eats

eastmeyers

imported post

http://www.artsbeatseats.com/

This is on city property, but it is a pay to get into event. So thoughts on if we would be welcomed without issue...

If we are good, or if anyone wants to contact them then I say we get something together and go as a group.

I am not sure what happened for sure at the hoe down, because everthing was deleted but I don't want something "bad" to happen.

God Bless Guys And Gals

[align=center]Friday Saturday Sunday Monday[/align]
[align=center]September 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th[/align]
[align=center]Downtown Royal Oak[/align]
[align=left]Now Downtown Royal Oak runs from Lincon, to 11 Mile Road, on Troy Street, Main Street, Center Steet, and Washington Ave. I am not sure which of these streets its on, but I'm sure once you get their it will be obvious. If you are looking for directions the zip code is 48067.[/align]
[align=left][/align]

autosurgeon

imported post

Who puts on this event? If they lease the property from the city for the event depending on the lease agreement they may have private property rights and be able to restrict what is allowed in.

eastmeyers

imported post

malignity wrote:
Where is it, and when?

Maybe I'll tag along with ya'll.

I changed my original post so it would reflect some of the details. Now, would you have to be a CPL holder to open carry here? The reason I ask is they serve beer at this event, but does that meanthe WHOLE thing is OC w/CPL only, or just to be at those tents?

Also I was told via PM from a member who called on the issue that The City Of Royal Oak was making this a PFZ because of 2500+ seating (even though this is a walking event not a sitting event), and they wouldn't allow CC or OC. This member than said it only pertains to CC and the person on the phone said to take it up with the city.

malignity

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
malignity wrote:
Where is it, and when?

Maybe I'll tag along with ya'll.

I changed my original post so it would reflect some of the details. Now, would you have to be a CPL holder to open carry here? The reason I ask is they serve beer at this event, but does that meanthe WHOLE thing is OC w/CPL only, or just to be at those tents?

Also I was told via PM from a member who called on the issue that The City Of Royal Oak was making this a PFZ because of 2500+ seating (even though this is a walking event not a sitting event), and they wouldn't allow CC or OC. This member than said it only pertains to CC and the person on the phone said to take it up with the city.
Is an event an 'entertainment facility seating more than 2500 people?' I'm thinking not. Isn't most of it outside? I think I was there about 6-7 years ago, and I remember the majority of it being outside. If it IS outside (which it very well may be if I'm recalling the correct event, and not something else) it can't be a FACILITY, and therefore they cannot enforce the 2500 stipulations.

Just thought of that one... :celebrate

Michigander

imported post

malignity wrote:
it can't be a FACILITY, and therefore they cannot enforce the 2500 stipulations.
I don't think that there is any way they'd try to bring out that many chairs, even if they thought they could call it a facility. Even if they could, preemption would apply, and CPL holders would be fine to OC.

scot623

imported post

The festival was designed to provide outstanding family entertainment at a very low cost. In 2009 the festival added an admission fee. This $3 admission fee supports the festival and community as follows: .25 to Arts Advocacy, .25 to the City of Royal Oak, and 50% of the remaining admission fees to 13 local charities after gating costs. For a list of non-profit partners that will share our admission fee, click here. To date, over $2 million raised by Ford Arts, Beats & Eats has been donated to charity.

Part of the admission fee goes straight to the city. Interesting. I honestly see no way the can bar anyone from the event.

scot623

imported post

I emailed the City manager(no email for the attorney). I asked it to be forwarded on. I included AG Granholms opinion and touched on the appropriate themes. I will keep you updated if and when I get a reply.

scot623

imported post

I have a copy of the agreement between the city and Arts Beats and Eats.

Section 3. Responsibilities of Arts Beats Eats

As owner, producer, and operator of the Festival, ABE will:

q. Provide representatives of the City with an estimate of the anticipated attendance at the festival, including an estimate of the number of people the national stage will draw for each concert. NO FIREARMS, unsafe or illegal articles, or fireworks will be permitted on the festival premises, or be allowed to be available for sale in the Festival grounds.

Keep in mind the festival grounds are CITY STREETS!Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Washington.

This is beyond ILLEGAL. I do not expect any reply from the city attorney or manager. While I was at city hall today,I was told, "this is not a priority and it is not the job of the city attorney to explain to citizens the laws". I explained I was there to explain the laws to the attorney(his secretary didn't like that too much). We must attend the next city commission meeting July 12 to make them aware of the illegal agreement the city has entered into.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

scot623 wrote:

q. Provide representatives of the City with an estimate of the anticipated attendance at the festival, including an estimate of the number of people the national stage will draw for each concert. NO FIREARMS, unsafe or illegal articles, or fireworks will be permitted on the festival premises, or be allowed to be available for sale in the Festival grounds.

Keep in mind the festival grounds are CITY STREETS!Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Washington.

This is beyond ILLEGAL. I do not expect any reply from the city attorney or manager. While I was at city hall today,I was told, "this is not a priority and it is not the job of the city attorney to explain to citizens the laws". I explained I was there to explain the laws to the attorney(his secretary didn't like that too much). We must attend the next city commission meeting July 12 to make them aware of the illegal agreement the city has entered into.

Address for Commission meeting July 12,2010 7p.m.

City of Royal Oak,

211 S Williams Street, Royal Oak MI 48067

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...s+St,+Royal+Oak,+Oakland,+Michigan+48067&z=16

PDinDetroit

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
scot623 wrote:

Address for Commission meeting July 12,2010 7p.m.

City of Royal Oak,

211 S Williams Street, Royal Oak MI 48067

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=211+S+Williams+Street,+Royal+Oak+MI+48067&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.8712,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=211+Williams+St,+Royal+Oak,+Oakland,+Michigan+48067&z=16
Do we have a copy of the agreement that can be sent or posted online?

PDinDetroit

imported post

While I was at city hall today,I was told, "this is not a priority and it is not the job of the city attorney to explain to citizens the laws".
Funny. I was told the same thing back in October 2009 about their Civil Emergencies Ordinance having issues with Preemption (not a priority, but maybe we will get to it when time allows). My emails about that have not been returned since then.

Guess I will have a dual reason to be there on July 12th, 2010.

scot623

imported post

I'll have the full agreement uploaded soon. Here is a visual of the illegal PFZ. I wonder how the citizens who live in this area feel about their rights being stolen because of a festival.