• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arts Beats and Eats

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
sprinklerguy28 wrote:
scot623 wrote:
I have a copy of the agreement between the city and Arts Beats and Eats.

Section 3. Responsibilities of Arts Beats Eats

As owner, producer, and operator of the Festival, ABE will:

q. Provide representatives of the City with an estimate of the anticipated attendance at the festival, including an estimate of the number of people the national stage will draw for each concert. NO FIREARMS, unsafe or illegal articles, or fireworks will be permitted on the festival premises, or be allowed to be available for sale in the Festival grounds.

Keep in mind the festival grounds are CITY STREETS!Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Washington.

This is beyond ILLEGAL. I do not expect any reply from the city attorney or manager. While I was at city hall today,I was told, "this is not a priority and it is not the job of the city attorney to explain to citizens the laws". I explained I was there to explain the laws to the attorney(his secretary didn't like that too much). We must attend the next city commission meeting July 12 to make them aware of the illegal agreement the city has entered into.

Address for Commission meeting July 12,2010 7p.m.

City of Royal Oak,

211 S Williams Street, Royal Oak MI 48067

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=211+S+Williams+Street,+Royal+Oak+MI+48067&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.8712,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=211+Williams+St,+Royal+Oak,+Oakland,+Michigan+48067&z=16
Do we have a copy of the agreement that can be sent or posted online?

It appears that the city is making the "no firearms" section part of the contract... not the other way around so, IANAL, but this seems to violate MCL 123.1101 et seq.
"A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.]

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
sprinklerguy28 wrote:
scot623 wrote:
I have a copy of the agreement between the city and Arts Beats and Eats.

Section 3. Responsibilities of Arts Beats Eats

As owner, producer, and operator of the Festival, ABE will:

q. Provide representatives of the City with an estimate of the anticipated attendance at the festival, including an estimate of the number of people the national stage will draw for each concert. NO FIREARMS, unsafe or illegal articles, or fireworks will be permitted on the festival premises, or be allowed to be available for sale in the Festival grounds.

Keep in mind the festival grounds are CITY STREETS!Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Washington.

This is beyond ILLEGAL. I do not expect any reply from the city attorney or manager. While I was at city hall today,I was told, "this is not a priority and it is not the job of the city attorney to explain to citizens the laws". I explained I was there to explain the laws to the attorney(his secretary didn't like that too much). We must attend the next city commission meeting July 12 to make them aware of the illegal agreement the city has entered into.

City of Royal Oak,

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=211+S+Williams+Street,+Royal+Oak+MI+48067&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.8712,93.076172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=211+Williams+St,+Royal+Oak,+Oakland,+Michigan+48067&z=16
Do we have a copy of the agreement that can be sent or posted online?

It appears that the city is making the "no firearms" section part of the contract... not the other way around so, IANAL, but this seems to violate MCL 123.1101 et seq.
"A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.]

lapeer20m

imported post

"whereas ABE (arts beats and eats) desires to produce such a festival for the city....."

So the city wants to have a festival, and they are contracting with Arts Beats and Eats to provide said festival for the city.

Seems to me that preemption would certainly apply.

LaVere

imported post

Does this cover your questions?

4725413895_753ca27e87.jpg

PDinDetroit

imported post

LaVere wrote:
Does this cover your questions?

4725413895_753ca27e87.jpg
Yes, that helps along with the following:
7. Representations and Warranties

The parties under this agreement hereby warrant and represent that:

b. In the making or performance of this agreement, each party has not and will not knowingly violate any laws, orders or regulations or the rights, legal and equitable, of anyone.

[/quote]

Last edited:

eastmeyers

imported post

I say we inform the city council of our plans of attending while OCing, also give a heads up to the State Police (Oak Park office). So if when we get thier they (ROPD) wont let us in we call the State Police for help.

scot623

I will be attending the Royal Oak Commission meeting tomorrow. It is important they know we are not going to let this unenforceable contract be used against us. The meeting is at 7:00pm.

lapeer20m

I am going to try to come tonight, but i have a 4 day old baby so plans are subject to change.

here is the address again for those planning to attend:

City of Royal Oak,

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Time Change - 7:30 PM

It appears that the meeting time has changed according to the Royal Oak City Website. The new time is now 7:30 PM, with agenda item #5 being for Public Comment (3rd floor, room 315). The full agenda is at the following link below:

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/porta.../meetings/City Commission/2010/20100712a.html

I will be there as well, probably around 6:45-7:00 PM just in case the time changes again. I called the information desk, the Public Comment time will have the mayor just call on people to speak with a 5 minute time limit.

eastmeyers

It appears that the meeting time has changed according to the Royal Oak City Website. The new time is now 7:30 PM, with agenda item #5 being for Public Comment (3rd floor, room 315). The full agenda is at the following link below:

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/porta.../meetings/City Commission/2010/20100712a.html

I will be there as well, probably around 6:45-7:00 PM just in case the time changes again. I called the information desk, the Public Comment time will have the mayor just call on people to speak with a 5 minute time limit.

Does their need to be a comment card filled out like at the Pontiac City Council meeting?

Michigander

As I read preemption, they don't even have a right to rent city property temporarily with a no guns clause. My suspicion is that they damn well knew it when they signed it.

I doubt they would try to prosecute anyone, but it seems like a feel good attempt to fool people. This forum has become quite a watchdog of self defense rights. Dare I say, it has filled in the MCRGO void, and without the need for professional lawyers, instead having well rounded activists. :D

eastmeyers

Who is speaking? Is their a presentation? I do think I will try and make it, my friend is in labor at Royal Oak Beaumont, but geeze that stuff takes forever so I think I will be a okay if I wait for the women to get off work tonight to head up their, so I may as well take myself into the neighborhood.