• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MCRGO

Is MCRGO even worth visiting anymore?

• Total voters

eastmeyers

imported post

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_no_gun_signs.asp

On this site it lists a bunch of places that have "No Firearm" signs. And this is what they say about it,

"When you see a "No-Guns" signs on a retail store, restaurant, bank, credit union or taxpayer funded business, please let us know so we can warn others to shop or go elsewhere while armed. If you knowingly ignore their posting you are guilty of criminal trespass."

Now I may just be crazy but, I thought in Michigan someone actually had to ask you to leave before you can get a trespassing charge. Of course you can't CC in a PFZ, but that is not what they are talking about. I already sent them an email asking them to list which law they are referring to. I am waiting for a reply.

So what are your thoughts?

God Bless
(kick-butt this was my 500th post)

scot623

imported post

I emailed the Michigan Law Library with this exact question. They could not find any law that says a sign ignored would qualify as a trespass.

eastmeyers

imported post

scot623 wrote:
I emailed the Michigan Law Library with this exact question. They could not find any law that says a sign ignored would qualify as a trespass.
Thank you. I am waiting to see if MCRGO even emails me back with a responce, I know they will not find anything.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

well now they can if we say we post on opencarry.org or show them a MOC card. since this topic is here and anyone who open carries, beyond a reasonable doubt, reads these boards

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

They still lack proof, which is what you need in a court. I really dont read all of the threads on this site, or any other. It could even be argued that one might specifically avoid such a thread based on personal veiws of the subject matter, or that they were afraid that it might be used against them someday. That should be easily proven through comments on this board which refer to such a thread being used against a member, such comments are quite frequent.

eastmeyers

imported post

I got an email back from MCRGO.

It sites

750.552 Trespass upon lands or premises of another; violation; penalty.

[size=Sec. 552.]

[size=(1) A person shall not do any of the following:]

[size=(a) Enter the lands or premises of another without lawful authority after having been forbidden so to do by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.]

[size=(b) Remain without lawful authority on the land or premises of another after being notified to depart by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.]

[size=(c) Enter or remain without lawful authority on fenced or posted farm property of another person without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent. A request to leave the premises is not a necessary element for a violation of this subdivision. This subdivision does not apply to a person who is in the process of attempting, by the most direct route, to contact the owner or his or her lessee or agent to request consent.]

[size=(2) A person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 30 days or by a fine of not more than $250.00, or both.]

[size=[/font]

The email sited says that it is highly unlikely that you could get charged with this, but is listedto protect people that visit their sight from over-zealous prosecutor's. (I am para-phrasing.)]

[size=I still think it is BS, I am not worried, first of all when I see a "No Firearms" sign I usually turn around and leave, just because I do not want to patronize an anti 2A establishment.]

[size=My $0.02]

[size=God Bless]

Michigander

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
well now they can if we say we post on opencarry.org or show them a MOC card. since this topic is here and anyone who open carries, beyond a reasonable doubt, reads these boards
There are some who OC and do so because of other sources, like CPL teacher advice. MOC has members with no web access, or even a desire to use the web. Yep, most OCers read this forum, but not all do.