• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talked with David Pyles (the ODOT guy)

We-the-People

imported post

So I spent this afternoon talking with David Pyles. You may not remember the name so he is the "ODOT guy" in Medford who woke up to find 3 SWAT teams surrounding his house and was subsequently "not arrested", put in handcuffs, hauled off, his property (firearms) siezed, yadda yadda, with no warrant.

David seemed to be an intelligent, thoughtful, and NORMAL person to me. We talked about a variety of subjects, related and not, to the firearms and civil rights issues from that incident. Part of the reason I wanted to talk with him was to find out first hand what his thoughts might be as far as citizens going to the City Council and or other entites demanding investigations, answers, etc. You just never know if such things could undermine a legal strategy being worked by him or his lawyer.

David said he has no problem with that and that he really wants the public to "not let it die".

So, who in the Medford area is up for going to a City Council meeting to take the mic (you don't have to take the mic yourself) and let them know that we are still waiting for a PUBLIC accounting of what they did?

I am willing to go OC and take the mic, my wife is willing to handle video if necessary andcarry a secured (locked in a case requiring a search warrant)audio recorder to capture audio from my wireless mic. (perhaps overkill but one never knows what to expect when demanding accountability from the system).

This would be to speak to the issue in a calm and professional manner, on the record, and not to be a loud and boisterous "protest".

I would also ask that you write to the Jackson Co Sheriff, Tribune (letters to the editor/new dept), City Council, Mayor, OSP, Medford PD, aksing (professionally and calmly) what they are doing to investigate the matter and to prevent it's happening again. In the case of the Tribune, chastising them for their biased reporting and despicable failure to hold government accountable (as is a majorpurpose of a free press).

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I'd love to go but i'm in the portland area for the summer. Just post up when you are gonna go and If I can get away I might drive from portland. It would make it a bit easier if I had some other Portland OCers come with me maybe help out with gas.

We-the-People

imported post

Now wouldn't that make an impression on the city council. A bunch of people from Portland coming all the way to Medford to say "WTF". Not just the distance, the mere fact that Portlanders were peeved about it. LOL

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
........ David said he has no problem with that and that he really wants the public to "not let it die"................
my question is , what is mr pyle doing about this? has HE retained legal counsel? is HE going forward with ANY kind of legal action?

while what happened to mr pyle was horribly wrong, i do not know him and if he is not pursuing this, why not?

will he attend the meetings? will he open carry? will he take the mic?

We-the-People

imported post

While we didn't go into detail and I didn't want details, David is not letting this simply whither and die on the vine. Remember, he has multiple issues to deal with and multiple "systems" to go through. The union for the employment and termination issues, the unemployment system because he's been denied unemployment by ODOT after having been fired (which I'm sure everyone would agree was the supervisors entire goal in this matter), and the legal system.

If you read any of the threads on this board you will see that whenever someone gets "jacked up" by the the legal system or law enforcement and post they are immediately told to "stop posting, get legal counsel, and do not post anything about what's going on in the boards as it can and will be twisted and spun to use against you".

David is doing exactly that and I was glad to find out, face to face, that that is what is going on rather thanjust putting it behind him. Our "system" works in strange ways and it's really not right but it's what we have. How many know what's going on with the Jeff Maxwell case against Western Oregon Univ and the Oregon Univ System? That case is a major test of our preemption law in this state as regards government entities besides cities and counties. Yet all we know is that a case is active. Why? Because the attorney needs to ensure that nothing happens to sideline the case, taint a jury, etc.

One thing I'd personally like to see is for David to apply for a concealed handgun license. Being a shall issue state and having been found by all the government agencies involved to be mentally stable and not a threat.....how could they deny him? But, if they did, then he'd have yet another fight on his hands which would detract from the attention needed on the ones already going on.

Daviddid call the Bill Meyer show when Sheriff Winters was on and ask basically WTF.

Interestingly, Sheriff Winters in that show said "open carry is legal" which is something I'll bet most members of this board, in most states, would absolutely love to hear THEIR Sheriff saying. I posted a link to it in another post.

I can't speak FOR David and he would have to consult his attorney before showing up at a city council meeting (or any other such activity) as such things can easily damage your case when it is spun by the opposition but I do believe that if he could, he would show up. You have to think about how that might impact a case though. The opposing attorney says "well gee, he showed up at a city council meeting with a bunch of armed thugs so his ODOT boss must have been right because that's not normal". WE all know that is BS but all that matters is what the lawyers get the jury ( mostly people who didn't want to be there but were too stupid to get out of it) to think.