• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My detainment from April 15th

28kfps

This site is the bible for open carry. Great information. I see this is from an older string and may have been beat to death all ready. When I first read, he asked you to hand over your firearm I might have handed it to him. However your response if you put your hand on yours he may then believe, he has a reason to put his hand on his I believe was spot on. After reading the sergeant’s reply, where he said you know you are going to comply, and the officer did not and had to make that decision after accruing cretin information for the most part made since too me. Then I read the replies most believe the officer stepped all over constructional rights and did not have a legal reason for confronting you. I might agree however, for me I would have shown him the ID and permit as soon as he asked for it. Last year a similar situation happened in Las Vegas to a regular long time poster to this site. His questioning and detaining ended up with back up officers called it is a long story however, the officers were way out of line. It all started when asked to see some gun related documents and knowing by law he was not required to show them refused. Again, I would have shown it to the officer. I would have gone home a little aggravated. However as it turned out because of the internet and I believe a formal complaint it made the local media and 3000 Las Vegas police had to attend new tarring on how to approach someone open carrying. If Metro sees an open carried gun, they are required to have a suspicion of breaking the law before they can start asking for documents. It is my understanding that Metro may strike up a small-talk conversation to help clear their possible suspicion. Pushing the issues sometimes works for changes. It appears to me the trick is to figure out which issues to push. I hope because of your letter that it brings attention to the issue and the need for adjustments on their part.

Last edited: