Thread: non-resident ccw permit

Post imported post

Are they easy to obtain? Is the process the same as resident?

Post imported post

They are impossible to obtain, because California only issues permits to California residents. That may change after Ed Peruta's lawsuit, Peruta v. Gore is decided, but for now that's the way it is. California does not recognize any out of state permit, either (except for the LEOSA permit, which is federal).
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

wewd wrote:
    They are impossible to obtain, because California only issues permits to California residents. That may change after Ed Peruta's lawsuit, Peruta v. Gore is decided, but for now that's the way it is. California does not recognize any out of state permit, either (except for the LEOSA permit, which is federal).
    Technically a non-resident who owns a business in CA can get one from the Sheriff of the county where the business is located - but if I remember correctly it only has a term of 90 days.

Post imported post

Don't feel bad. They won't issue them to residents, either.

Post imported post

Mike Hunt wrote:
    Don't feel bad. They won't issue them to residents, either.*
    Best CCW quote yet, ehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    wewd wrote:
    Technically a non-resident who owns a business in CA can get one from the Sheriff of the county where the business is located - but if I remember correctly it only has a term of 90 days.
    Really? So, being a partner/owner in a business that is located in CA is grounds for obtaining a CCW?
    I live in WA state and I would like to do this, however, I'm sure I'd have to show the local sheriff evidence that it is legal. Is the "technicality" expressly permitted in codified law or is it from case law?

The business happens to be in a county that does issue CCW permits to its residents, so if I can show the sheriff that it's allowed, he might let me get one.

Quote Originally Posted by arms_libertas View Post
    Really? So, being a partner/owner in a business that is located in CA is grounds for obtaining a CCW?
    I live in WA state and I would like to do this, however, I'm sure I'd have to show the local sheriff evidence that it is legal. Is the "technicality" expressly permitted in codified law or is it from case law?

The business happens to be in a county that does issue CCW permits to its residents, so if I can show the sheriff that it's allowed, he might let me get one.
    Sort of...

Its not even remotely 'grounds' for a CCW in CA, but it IS one of the required qualifying factors for a 'non-resident' CCW here.

Its not a technicality - its expressly codified in PC 12050. Here's an offical CA .gov link http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

I didn't look at it again, but pay special attention to the duration limits - I'm 99% certain its only good for 90 days.

edit: corrected PC number (I can't believe I said 12025...)
    Last edited by mjones; 07-06-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post

I didn't look at it again, but pay special attention to the duration limits - I'm 99% certain its only good for 90 days.
    Yes the 'business owner' ccw has to be renewed every 90 days. The license is codified in section 12050 PC

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Non-resident licenses are only of the business/employment type that are only valid within the county of issuance and only for 90 days. A standard 2 year license, you can only apply to the sheriff of the county of residence. Since you're not in California, you're SOL for now (until there is a case brought similar to my case against Denver, CO).