• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non-resident ccw permit

wewd

imported post

They are impossible to obtain, because California only issues permits to California residents. That may change after Ed Peruta's lawsuit, Peruta v. Gore is decided, but for now that's the way it is. California does not recognize any out of state permit, either (except for the LEOSA permit, which is federal).

mjones

imported post

wewd wrote:
They are impossible to obtain, because California only issues permits to California residents. That may change after Ed Peruta's lawsuit, Peruta v. Gore is decided, but for now that's the way it is. California does not recognize any out of state permit, either (except for the LEOSA permit, which is federal).
Technically a non-resident who owns a business in CA can get one from the Sheriff of the county where the business is located - but if I remember correctly it only has a term of 90 days.

arms_libertas

wewd wrote:
Technically a non-resident who owns a business in CA can get one from the Sheriff of the county where the business is located - but if I remember correctly it only has a term of 90 days.

Really? So, being a partner/owner in a business that is located in CA is grounds for obtaining a CCW?
I live in WA state and I would like to do this, however, I'm sure I'd have to show the local sheriff evidence that it is legal. Is the "technicality" expressly permitted in codified law or is it from case law?

The business happens to be in a county that does issue CCW permits to its residents, so if I can show the sheriff that it's allowed, he might let me get one.

mjones

Really? So, being a partner/owner in a business that is located in CA is grounds for obtaining a CCW?
I live in WA state and I would like to do this, however, I'm sure I'd have to show the local sheriff evidence that it is legal. Is the "technicality" expressly permitted in codified law or is it from case law?

The business happens to be in a county that does issue CCW permits to its residents, so if I can show the sheriff that it's allowed, he might let me get one.

Sort of...

Its not even remotely 'grounds' for a CCW in CA, but it IS one of the required qualifying factors for a 'non-resident' CCW here.

Its not a technicality - its expressly codified in PC 12050. Here's an offical CA .gov link http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

I didn't look at it again, but pay special attention to the duration limits - I'm 99% certain its only good for 90 days.

edit: corrected PC number (I can't believe I said 12025...)

Last edited:

cato

I didn't look at it again, but pay special attention to the duration limits - I'm 99% certain its only good for 90 days.

Yes the 'business owner' ccw has to be renewed every 90 days. The license is codified in section 12050 PC

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Non-resident licenses are only of the business/employment type that are only valid within the county of issuance and only for 90 days. A standard 2 year license, you can only apply to the sheriff of the county of residence. Since you're not in California, you're SOL for now (until there is a case brought similar to my case against Denver, CO).