Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCDL Celebration Dinner - RESTON, VA - JULY 1st

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

VCDL Celebration Dinner - RESTON, VA - JULY 1st

Please RSVP for the Reston Dinner

Send an e-mail to philip@virginiasystems.comand in the subject put

RESTON - # (with # equal to the number of people coming including yourself)

In the body of the message, please include your name.

Thanks.. hope to see you there...

Lets make the Reston Dinner the largest celebration dinner in the STATE!!

:celebrate

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Centurion

Post imported post

You're determined to make me drive all the way to Reston to deliver that cake, aren't you, Ed?

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    You're determined to make me drive all the way to Reston to deliver that cake, aren't you, Ed?
    If you notice the pic (just right of center).. you are sitting there, I think it is only fitting to come back to where it all began. :-)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Centurion

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    VCDL President wrote:
    If you notice the pic (just right of center).. you are sitting there, I think it is only fitting to come back to where it all began. :-)
    I remember that one very well - quite a turnout we had!

Post imported post

I'm likely to attend the Reston dinner, however since I never know when I'll be around NoVA over the summer months I didn't want to put in an official RSVP. Is that ok?

Post imported post

its ok for just YOU. :-) we just cant have 100 people just show up or not..so.. If I told them 100 and its 99 or 101 we would be ok ;-)
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

Wait a minute...there's going to be cake?

Ed, the link doesn't work.

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
    Wait a minute...there's going to be cake?

Ed, the link doesn't work.
    I know.. problem with evite I presume.. check back in a day or two.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

From VA-ALERT:

Here is the final RSVP count for Thursday's restaurant ban repeal celebrations across the state. And the winner of the hand-delivered celebratory cake is.... NORFOLK and by a big margin! Well done, guys and gals!

Actually everyone did pretty well, especially Richmond:

Norfolk: 115
    Richmond: 82
    Woodbridge: 65
    Reston: 48
    Vinton: 46
    Yorktown: 45
    Charlottesville: 29

I will be at the Reston location as we are expecting at least three different media organizations there: the Washington Post, Voice of America, and Nightline.

Reston numbers continue to grow.. it will be between 75 and 100 but thats ok.. come on out anyway!

The cake
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

The Cake Is a LIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    The cake
    The ban did not infringe on a RIGHT. Concealed Carry is a PRIVELEDGE. Open Carry is the right. Repeal of the ban did NOT restore a RIGHT.

The whole point of diferentiating between Perks for Permittees (P4P) enhancement and restoring Rights seems to be lost on VCDL and Philip.

Shame on Philip and VCDL for holding up this lie.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    Last edited by Thundar; 07-02-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: grammar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    The ban did not infringe on a RIGHT. Concealed Carry is a PRIVILEGE. Open Carry is the right. Repeal of the ban did NOT restore a RIGHT.
    I respectfully disagree.

Nowhere does the [broadly ignored] Constitution of the U.S. nor the Virginia Constitution explicitly state or even IMPLY that:

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, as long as they do so openly, shall not be infringed.

No, sir. Conceal carry is a "privilege" that governments have invented to provide themselves with artificial authority and oversight of the People to which they are not entitled. Don't kid yourself. By making statements like yours you are acceding to unlawful ordinances of government which INFRINGE on our natural rights.

WE are the sovereigns - not government. When government gets to decide when, who, where and how we may defend ourselves, they usurp. It's just that simple.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Come on Guys.

The session is over. Old News, bad memories for some of us.

We had a good time last night and I celebrated McDonald and wore my 44, made the mainstream media fighting mad and really enjoyed myself.

Lets concentrate on NEXT session now!

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Nowhere does the [broadly ignored] Constitution of the U.S. nor the Virginia Constitution explicitly state or even IMPLY that:

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, as long as they do so openly, shall not be infringed.

No, sir. Conceal carry is a "privilege" that governments have invented to provide themselves with artificial authority and oversight of the People to which they are not entitled. Don't kid yourself. By making statements like yours you are acceding to unlawful ordinances of government which INFRINGE on our natural rights.

WE are the sovereigns - not government. When government gets to decide when, who, where and how we may defend ourselves, they usurp. It's just that simple.
    Wydle, in principle I agree with you. That is why I like the permissive open/concealed carry that law that Arizona passes being called "Constitutional Carry". Reality is that in the Commonwealth Concealed Carry is a priveledge subject to the whims of the legislature. Fighting for Constitutional Carry would be a fight for the restoration of our rights.

VCDL, however, has accepted the legitimacy of the concealed carry laws and simply tries to enhance the priveledges (perks) for permittees (P4P). So in the VCDL context, where Concealed Carry laws which have converted a right into a priveledge have not been challenged, the enhancement of the priveledge is certainly not the restoration of a right.

It is also interesting to note that some on the VCDL Board benefit from Concealed Carry Training Industry.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Come on Peter, Philip knew what he was doing

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Come on Guys.

The session is over. Old News, bad memories for some of us.

We had a good time last night and I celebrated McDonald and wore my 44, made the mainstream media fighting mad and really enjoyed myself.

Lets concentrate on NEXT session now!
    Peter,

We both know that Philip knew what he was doing. He participated in our previous forum discussions.

The cake uses a semicolon, indicating that what is before the semicolon is defined by what is after the semicolon. What is before the semicolon is Rights Restored. What is after the semicolon is Ban Repealed.

Rights Restoration was a complete failure this year. Like I said before if the gathering was for gun RIGHTS restoration it should have been a wake, not a party.

There is a rift between those that believe in Gun Rights and those that believe in P4P. I thought that there had been some good discussion and some coming together, but the slap in the face message on the cake is clear.

If you think I am wrong, then think about what VCDL is celebrating. Then think about the cake if it was a party for the MacDonald ruling. That was really rights restored and Ban repealed (Reversed and remanded, but really it will be repealed). Where is the party and the joyous celebration for the 2A? Not coming from VCDL, nope. Their party is for P4P

Shame on Philip, shame on VCDL.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar

Exclamation

@Thundar:

Some of your posture I agree with. Others, not so much.

Conceal carry is a "privilege" in that we have allowed, over subsequent generations, for it to be usurped by the legislature and unscrupulous AGs and courts.

This event (or set of events) does not provide P4P. This is one of the few instances where lawful OC actually had more "privilege" than CC and the new law provided a small amount of parity in restaurants where now a person can choose for himself how to carry, rather than being forced by statute to reveal to remain "lawfully" armed.

Constitutional carry is indeed the only way to go but... if all of the states acceded to that notion then this forum might also be considered unnecessary.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

No, you're right about the punctuation. I also think an intentional slap on the face is the last thing Philip wants or intends to do.

There is a rift and it may not get closed. I can't say until I see where the wind blows this fall.

All I'm saying is that this issue is history now and we need to see what the near future holds.

We've all had our say and it's up to the leadership to decide what course to follow and it's up to us to decide if we want to sail on that ship.
    In the meantime, I'm not going to become anti VCDL. That doesn't help any of us and to be honest, I am still proud to be a member.
    Damned unhappy about the direction of last year but not ready to bail out yet.

@Thundar:

Constitutional carry is indeed the only way to go but... if all of the states acceded to that notion then this forum might also be considered unnecessary.

How likely do you think a "constitutional carry" bill will make it to the next session?

I wish that the necessity of this forum would be questionnable. A Nation with a government that lives within the constitutional limitations. That is the Libertarian Dream. Maybe someday I will have grandchildren, and they will live in the land of limited government.

But in the real world we have petty tyrants like Mayor Daly.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar

@Thundar:

Some of your posture I agree with. Others, not so much.

Conceal carry is a "privilege" in that we have allowed, over subsequent generations, for it to be usurped by the legislature and unscrupulous AGs and courts.

This event (or set of events) does not provide P4P. This is one of the few instances where lawful OC actually had more "privilege" than CC and the new law provided a small amount of parity in restaurants where now a person can choose for himself how to carry, rather than being forced by statute to reveal to remain "lawfully" armed.

This event celebrates the additional perk of concealed carrying in places that serve alcohol. The comparison of Concealed Perks to rights does not negate the fact that this "victory" was nothing more than priveledge enhancement.

Remember Wydle this priveldge enhancement was the big legislative push (strolgly endorsed - two thumbs up in the VCDL legislative tracking tool), while real Gun Rights legislation in the form of the Virginia Firearms Freedom Act only got one thumbs up (endorsed, not strongly endorsed.) It is OK for VCDL to work harder on P4P than on Gun Rights, but don't have a party and claim that your P4P legislative victory was a gun rights victory. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

This event celebrates the additional perk of concealed carrying in places that serve alcohol. The comparison of Concealed Perks to rights does not negate the fact that this "victory" was nothing more than priveledge enhancement.

Remember Wydle this priveldge enhancement was the big legislative push (strolgly endorsed - two thumbs up in the VCDL legislative tracking tool), while real Gun Rights legislation in the form of the Virginia Firearms Freedom Act only got one thumbs up (endorsed, not strongly endorsed.) It is OK for VCDL to work harder on P4P than on Gun Rights, but don't have a party and claim that your P4P legislative victory was a gun rights victory. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
    Geeze Thundar. It's hard to agree with you even when I agree with you.

The ban wasn't P4P. It was one instance where the Permit Holders were at a disadvantage. This just evened things up.

Permit holders aren't the enemy (Mostly), they're our friends and allies (Mostly).
    For crying out loud, you have a permit. Lets try to redirect P4P, not destroy ourselves just for the sake of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Geeze Thundar. It's hard to agree with you even when I agree with you.

The ban wasn't P4P. It was one instance where the Permit Holders were at a disadvantage. This just evened things up.

Permit holders aren't the enemy (Mostly), they're our friends and allies (Mostly).
    For crying out loud, you have a permit. Lets try to redirect P4P, not destroy ourselves just for the sake of doing it.
    Peter, The priveledge enhancement was P4P. Making the PRIVELEDGE even with the Open CARRY RIGHT does not make it a RIGHT. It can be taken from us as quickly aqs it was given.

PS. They are not even. You can drink while exercising your open carry right, but cannot drink while exercising a CC priveledge. (Please no bashing, I dont drink and carry, I'm just pointing out that they are not even.)

I agree that for the most part the P4P crowd is going in the same direction as the Gun Rights Crowd, but their declaration that P4P IS a Gun Rights Victory is false, misleading and not helpful to gun rights.

Peter, If you disagree, and I know that you do to some extent, then please explain the message on the cake.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar

Peter, The priveledge enhancement was P4P. Making the PRIVELEDGE even with the Open CARRY RIGHT does not make it a RIGHT. It can be taken from us as quickly aqs it was given.

I agree completely.

PS. They are not even. You can drink while exercising your open carry right, but cannot drink while exercising a CC priveledge. (Please no bashing, I dont drink and carry, I'm just pointing out that they are not even.)

No bashing needed Thundar, I agree but they are closer than they were. i also think enough effort has been spent on that issue and making CHP holders truely equal in the drinking arena is not a matter that should be considered.

I agree that for the most part the P4P crowd is going in the same direction as the Gun Rights Crowd, but their declaration that P4P IS a Gun Rights Victory is false, misleading and not helpful to gun rights.

I agree again and I didn't celebrate it. I made a point of letting people I wasn't celebrating the CHP change but I was celebrating McDonald.

Peter, If you disagree, and I know that you do to some extent, then please explain the message on the cake.

That I disagree with. There wasn't any secret meaning nor was it a sharp stick to poke me with. It was just poor wording and a little thoughtlessness.
    Sometimes we get so wrapped up in a matter that we see things or insults that really aren't there.
    Ebay is full of squashed flys that look like the image of The Virgin Mary.

There is plenty to get our feathers ruffled about without worrying about the wording on a cake.

You can take things beyond reason sometimes. I'm diabetic. Do you suppose Philip ordered cake instead of celery sticks just to punish me.

Now if he'd had Sailor Kurt pop out of the cake....I'd have been pissed.

I'm not going to get into it now but if some of the gossip I've been hearing is true, there are a lot bigger things to get mad about within VCDL.

Let's try to deal with them now and worry about Proper Cakewriting 101 later when there's time,

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............

Video of RESTON Dinner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast