• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Celebration Dinner - RESTON, VA - JULY 1st

Thundar

@Thundar:

Some of your posture I agree with. Others, not so much.

Conceal carry is a "privilege" in that we have allowed, over subsequent generations, for it to be usurped by the legislature and unscrupulous AGs and courts.

This event (or set of events) does not provide P4P. This is one of the few instances where lawful OC actually had more "privilege" than CC and the new law provided a small amount of parity in restaurants where now a person can choose for himself how to carry, rather than being forced by statute to reveal to remain "lawfully" armed.

Constitutional carry is indeed the only way to go but... if all of the states acceded to that notion then this forum might also be considered unnecessary. ;)

This event celebrates the additional perk of concealed carrying in places that serve alcohol. The comparison of Concealed Perks to rights does not negate the fact that this "victory" was nothing more than priveledge enhancement.

Remember Wydle this priveldge enhancement was the big legislative push (strolgly endorsed - two thumbs up in the VCDL legislative tracking tool), while real Gun Rights legislation in the form of the Virginia Firearms Freedom Act only got one thumbs up (endorsed, not strongly endorsed.) It is OK for VCDL to work harder on P4P than on Gun Rights, but don't have a party and claim that your P4P legislative victory was a gun rights victory. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This event celebrates the additional perk of concealed carrying in places that serve alcohol. The comparison of Concealed Perks to rights does not negate the fact that this "victory" was nothing more than priveledge enhancement.

Remember Wydle this priveldge enhancement was the big legislative push (strolgly endorsed - two thumbs up in the VCDL legislative tracking tool), while real Gun Rights legislation in the form of the Virginia Firearms Freedom Act only got one thumbs up (endorsed, not strongly endorsed.) It is OK for VCDL to work harder on P4P than on Gun Rights, but don't have a party and claim that your P4P legislative victory was a gun rights victory. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Geeze Thundar. It's hard to agree with you even when I agree with you.

The ban wasn't P4P. It was one instance where the Permit Holders were at a disadvantage. This just evened things up.

Permit holders aren't the enemy (Mostly), they're our friends and allies (Mostly).
For crying out loud, you have a permit. Lets try to redirect P4P, not destroy ourselves just for the sake of doing it.

Thundar

Geeze Thundar. It's hard to agree with you even when I agree with you.

The ban wasn't P4P. It was one instance where the Permit Holders were at a disadvantage. This just evened things up.

Permit holders aren't the enemy (Mostly), they're our friends and allies (Mostly).
For crying out loud, you have a permit. Lets try to redirect P4P, not destroy ourselves just for the sake of doing it.

Peter, The priveledge enhancement was P4P. Making the PRIVELEDGE even with the Open CARRY RIGHT does not make it a RIGHT. It can be taken from us as quickly aqs it was given.

PS. They are not even. You can drink while exercising your open carry right, but cannot drink while exercising a CC priveledge. (Please no bashing, I dont drink and carry, I'm just pointing out that they are not even.)

I agree that for the most part the P4P crowd is going in the same direction as the Gun Rights Crowd, but their declaration that P4P IS a Gun Rights Victory is false, misleading and not helpful to gun rights.

Peter, If you disagree, and I know that you do to some extent, then please explain the message on the cake.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter, The priveledge enhancement was P4P. Making the PRIVELEDGE even with the Open CARRY RIGHT does not make it a RIGHT. It can be taken from us as quickly aqs it was given.

I agree completely.

PS. They are not even. You can drink while exercising your open carry right, but cannot drink while exercising a CC priveledge. (Please no bashing, I dont drink and carry, I'm just pointing out that they are not even.)

No bashing needed Thundar, I agree but they are closer than they were. i also think enough effort has been spent on that issue and making CHP holders truely equal in the drinking arena is not a matter that should be considered.

I agree that for the most part the P4P crowd is going in the same direction as the Gun Rights Crowd, but their declaration that P4P IS a Gun Rights Victory is false, misleading and not helpful to gun rights.

I agree again and I didn't celebrate it. I made a point of letting people I wasn't celebrating the CHP change but I was celebrating McDonald.

Peter, If you disagree, and I know that you do to some extent, then please explain the message on the cake.

That I disagree with. There wasn't any secret meaning nor was it a sharp stick to poke me with. It was just poor wording and a little thoughtlessness.
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in a matter that we see things or insults that really aren't there.
Ebay is full of squashed flys that look like the image of The Virgin Mary.

There is plenty to get our feathers ruffled about without worrying about the wording on a cake.

You can take things beyond reason sometimes. I'm diabetic. Do you suppose Philip ordered cake instead of celery sticks just to punish me.

Now if he'd had Sailor Kurt pop out of the cake....I'd have been pissed.

I'm not going to get into it now but if some of the gossip I've been hearing is true, there are a lot bigger things to get mad about within VCDL.

Let's try to deal with them now and worry about Proper Cakewriting 101 later when there's time,

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

...................................................................................................................

Thundar

Peter,

I certainly was not trying to bash you. If I came across that way then I am truely sorry.

I think you are right though. It is only a cake.

Hopefully my point about the difference between fighting for rights and P4P hasn't been lost in my rantings.

Live free or Die,
Thundar

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
WaPo said:
Mark Shinn of Falls Church, exercises his new right to have firearms in Virginia bars.

Since when was there a law banning guns in "bars" and since when were there bars in VA?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Since when was there a law banning guns in "bars" and since when were there bars in VA?

I agree with the other post that we miss the point if we beat that point to death. There are plenty of restaurants in Virginia that HAVE bar. Some are even called ____ Bar and Grille", etc. Walk into Teds, famous Daves, Carmines, Champps and other places and when the hostess asks you how many in your party and you say "just me.. can I it at the bar?" They will say sure and point you in the right direction instead of something like "Sir.. we don't have a bar.. but you can sit at that all counter on that bar type stool and order form the guy behind the tall counter as he is kinda like a waiter that serves people (or tenders to) those that sit at the tall counter.... etc etc etc

I thiunk when we try and fight the no bars fight we don't look as smart as we are.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
I agree with the other post that we miss the point if we beat that point to death. There are plenty of restaurants in Virginia that HAVE bar. Some are even called ____ Bar and Grille", etc. Walk into Teds, famous Daves, Carmines, Champps and other places and when the hostess asks you how many in your party and you say "just me.. can I it at the bar?" They will say sure and point you in the right direction instead of something like "Sir.. we don't have a bar.. but you can sit at that all counter on that bar type stool and order form the guy behind the tall counter as he is kinda like a waiter that serves people (or tenders to) those that sit at the tall counter.... etc etc etc

I thiunk when we try and fight the no bars fight we don't look as smart as we are.

The problem is that carry in bars sounds worse then carry in restaurants. You go to a restaurant to eat you go to a bar to drink. It is a way for the press to push their agenda.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Washington Post Metro Section Front Page 07-03-2010

wpmetro07032010.jpg