Thread: dry firing my fnp 9

Post imported post

Is it going to break if I dry fire my fnp9?

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

Yes, most modern firearms can handle some dry firing. That said I don't do it repeatedly unless I have a snap-cap in the chamber.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

Serial number on my gun is from 2007 is that modern enough and what comstitutes repeatedy

Post imported post

Or get a Hipoint, and dont worry if it breaks. Lifetime Warranty and all.
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Why take a chance. Buy five snap caps, in each caliber that you own, so that you can drill properly and without risk of damaging the gun or risk of a negligent discharge.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Why take a chance. Buy five snap caps, in each caliber that you own, so that you can drill properly and without risk of damaging the gun or risk of a negligent discharge.
    I know with all of my "tar and feather" talk it might be hard to believe, but on this one I do have to agree with doug. Why take a chance? If your last "dry fire" breaks your striker (or firing pin), you might not know until you have to fire the gun. Snap caps are a very wise investment for ANY gun. It is the only way I go through any practice drills. With a bunch of them, you can learn how to rack your slide a lot faster, and never have to worry about a negligent discharge (also agree with doug on the wording).

I will bitch about doug anytime I can (sorry doug, I just don't like your posts), but I do have to say that he has been "around-the-block" a few times, and knows his firearms.I would trust him on this one. If that striker (or pin) fails,and you don't know it, you might just get dead...

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    I agree, if you're going to do it often. Once and a while will cause no harm to a well made, centerfire pisto. NEVER dry fire a rimfire.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Get a Glock, dry fire all you want.

Post imported post

If abranch from a treecan make your gun go "boom", you have no safety at all. The police reports on unintentional discharge show it all. I am not going to say "get a Glock, kill a family member", but I think the stats. speak for themselves.

Sorry, I just hate "no safety" guns...

Post imported post

if you call most of the major production companies of handguns (Sig, HK, Glock, Springfield) their reps will all tell you that dry firing any modern pistol poses no risk of damaging the firing pin or the striker any more than it would firing it with live ammo.

Post imported post

Thanks all for the feedback!