• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

dry firing my fnp 9

tronson

imported post

Serial number on my gun is from 2007 is that modern enough and what comstitutes repeatedy

Mlutz

imported post

Or get a Hipoint, and dont worry if it breaks. :D Lifetime Warranty and all.

AaronS

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Why take a chance. Buy five snap caps, in each caliber that you own, so that you can drill properly and without risk of damaging the gun or risk of a negligent discharge.

I know with all of my "tar and feather" talk it might be hard to believe, but on this one I do have to agree with doug. Why take a chance? If your last "dry fire" breaks your striker (or firing pin), you might not know until you have to fire the gun. Snap caps are a very wise investment for ANY gun. It is the only way I go through any practice drills. With a bunch of them, you can learn how to rack your slide a lot faster, and never have to worry about a negligent discharge (also agree with doug on the wording).

I will bitch about doug anytime I can (sorry doug, I just don't like your posts), but I do have to say that he has been "around-the-block" a few times, and knows his firearms.I would trust him on this one. If that striker (or pin) fails,and you don't know it, you might just get dead...

Gunslinger

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Why take a chance. Buy five snap caps, in each caliber that you own, so that you can drill properly and without risk of damaging the gun or risk of a negligent discharge.
I agree, if you're going to do it often. Once and a while will cause no harm to a well made, centerfire pisto. NEVER dry fire a rimfire.

AaronS

imported post

If abranch from a treecan make your gun go "boom", you have no safety at all. The police reports on unintentional discharge show it all. I am not going to say "get a Glock, kill a family member", but I think the stats. speak for themselves.

Sorry, I just hate "no safety" guns...

SIGdude

imported post

if you call most of the major production companies of handguns (Sig, HK, Glock, Springfield) their reps will all tell you that dry firing any modern pistol poses no risk of damaging the firing pin or the striker any more than it would firing it with live ammo.