• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car Searched by Pittsburgh Police

Superlite27

imported post

I would love to know more about this "street incident report that only police officers can see".

I wonder if this would show up under a FOIA request?

You mentioned the word "attorney". I would assume this means a FOIA is underway, but one never knows, so I'm just asking. The reason for the initial stop should pop up as a result.

I'm also curious as to what it is.

Sig229

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I would love to know more about this "street incident report that only police officers can see".

I wonder if this would show up under a FOIA request?

You mentioned the word "attorney". I would assume this means a FOIA is underway, but one never knows, so I'm just asking. The reason for the initial stop should pop up as a result.

I'm also curious as to what it is.

Yes, he is going to try and get any dashboard camera footage from any of the officers who responded and other records that may have been filed for the incident.

Im not looking to sue (dont think I would win anyway), but I do want the officers who violated my rights to be reprimanded for those actions.

As for the "street incident report that only police officers can see", he agrees and thinks thats bullshit and the LEO was just trying to intimidate us.

iownagn-gs

times are changing

Sorry for your "misfortune". Let's face it, the LEO'S today are looking for "anything" to make an arrest. I've lived in Pgh. all my life, (sad), and it's getting worse. Last month I was exiting my car at the Penn Hills Shop center, and the dude in the passenger side of a van noticed my sidearm before I had the chance to put my shirt on. I left GE and headed down Rodi Road only to be nailed by two screaming Penn Hills LEO'S. The black dude reported my tag #.
After showing my LTCF, the one LEO made it plain he was totally against open carry. That mentality is very widespread amongst most LEO'S and it ani't going to change. I guess now, I can presume, the Pittsburgh Police are now becoming members of "The Largest Street Gang In America". God forbid.

Sig, I wish you well in your action. I wonder what your comments would have been had you been carrying that day?

Dreamer

Well, if you can't get any disciplinary action against the offiers after you get the dash cams, then I'd suggest making copies and sending them to ALL the local media. The media tends to eat this sort of stuff up and the "racial" component is JUSt the sort of thing the media likes to nail the police on.

We need to "take of the gloves" folks, and stop "playing nice". Use the media. Use the internet. Use social networking and YouTube. The camera is the new pitchfork, and we need to start thinking and acting like REAL activists, and stop going along to get along with this sort of officially-sanctioned thuggery...

I'll be in and around the Pittsburgh area for a few weeks in August (camping). I can see that I'll have to be sure I pack a video camera and bring a friend along for my "trips into town".

Good luck, Sig...

Thundar

I Agree Dreamer, JBTism can be very difficult for some LEOs to unlearn

Since the 2009 G20 meeting in Pittsburgh, and the MASSIVE militarized LE presence that came with it, it looks like the Pittsburgh PD has adopted similar tactics (entrapment, bullying, unlawful detention, brutality used to provoke responses, etc) against their own citizens.

The problem isn't so much racism, or rudeness. The problem is that after the jackbooted display of oppressive force that was perpetrated during the 2009 G20 meeting, the local LEA's have adopted that attitude as SOP.

The problem is something MUCH deeper than rudeness or ignorance of the law. It is an INTENTIONAL militarization of the civilian police force, and that attitude seems to be catching on in EVERY American city as SOP after big globalist events like the G20.

Good thing you weren't carrying. We might have been reading an obituary rather than an "event report"...

Good luck. I hope you have a good lawyer, and had a voice recorder rolling for this incident. Hopefully you will be rightfully (and substantially) compensated for these egregious violations of your 2A and 4A rights.

I hope you and your attorney can bag the JBT. He deserves it. When other bad apples see one stripped of his qualified immunity, fired and in the poor house for willful civil rights violations, then other smart JBTs will rethink their behaviors. Stupid JBTs will suffer a similar fate as the first one hit with a civil rights lawsuit.

Sig229

Well, if you can't get any disciplinary action against the offiers after you get the dash cams, then I'd suggest making copies and sending them to ALL the local media. The media tends to eat this sort of stuff up and the "racial" component is JUSt the sort of thing the media likes to nail the police on.

We need to "take of the gloves" folks, and stop "playing nice". Use the media. Use the internet. Use social networking and YouTube. The camera is the new pitchfork, and we need to start thinking and acting like REAL activists, and stop going along to get along with this sort of officially-sanctioned thuggery...

I'll be in and around the Pittsburgh area for a few weeks in August (camping). I can see that I'll have to be sure I pack a video camera and bring a friend along for my "trips into town".

Good luck, Sig...

Yes, I am planning on getting a call from my attorney this Monday, so I will update everyone.

Also, when you visit Pittsburgh and you want to OC together somewhere let me know.

Maybe get lunch or something.

I have OC'ed on the south side many times and never had a problem. Even when standing right next to a LEO.

f you dont mind me asking, where do you plan on camping at?

Dreamer

Coopers Lake campground, the first two weeks of August. It's a HUGE event that's held every year for the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is a world-wide medieval/renaissance historical reenactment group. Last year there were over 10,000 people in attendence.

Imagine a Renn faire the size of a small town, but we're actually is interested in portraying history correctly, and everyone is armed to the teeth with edged weapons, ranging from daggers to two-handed Claymores...

Needless to say, it's a VERY polite event... ;)

I will be OCing one of my 3 rapiers most days. I have two modern repros (which are custom-made "combat-grade" models, not those cheap, crappy Pakistani swords) and one REAL period rapier of 1580's German provenance...

Sig229

Why don't you have your LTCF? I recommend you get it quickly.

Yes, I plan on doing that in August when I have completely become a PA resident (still haven't changed my DL and car registration over from Colorado yet) .
I know that I could get an out of state LTCF, but I rather wait and get a resident LTCF.

Sig229

Coopers Lake campground, the first two weeks of August. It's a HUGE event that's held every year for the Society for Creative Anachronism, which is a world-wide medieval/renaissance historical reenactment group. Last year there were over 10,000 people in attendence.

Imagine a Renn faire the size of a small town, but we're actually is interested in portraying history correctly, and everyone is armed to the teeth with edged weapons, ranging from daggers to two-handed Claymores...

Needless to say, it's a VERY polite event... ;)

I will be OCing one of my 3 rapiers most days. I have two modern repros (which are custom-made "combat-grade" models, not those cheap, crappy Pakistani swords) and one REAL period rapier of 1580's German provenance...

That sounds like a great time.
Have you ever been to the Renaissance festival outside of Annapolis Maryland at the Anne Arundel fairgrounds?
That one is probably the nest Renaissance festival I have ever been to.

Curmudgeon

That sounds like a great time.
Have you ever been to the Renaissance festival outside of Annapolis Maryland at the Anne Arundel fairgrounds?
That one is probably the nest Renaissance festival I have ever been to.

Regrettably, that is the only Renn faire I have ever been to, so I have no basis for comparison, but it certainly is nicely done.

This year I *really* want to go to the one in Eastern PA between Lancaster and Lebanon. I've driven past the grounds several times and it looks really nice.

DonSmithnotTMD

The preceding posters hint at something that came to mind last evening.

I wonder if you were profiled. Not in the general racial sense, but in a criminal sense. For example, I've read of one Florida or Georgia chief who instructshiscops tostop every northbound car with two Latino males driving exactly the speed limit--characteristics of drug runners. The chief defended his tactics although totally unconstitutional.

How is following up on a known drug smuggler habit unconstitutional?

KBCraig

How is following up on a known drug smuggler habit unconstitutional?

Recognizing a "known drug smuggler habit" is not RAS for a traffic stop, and is not probable cause for a search.

Thank goodness, because if police were allowed to profile like this, every middle aged white man wearing a Hawaiian shirt would be stopped and searched for weapons.

Dreamer

Recognizing a "known drug smuggler habit" is not RAS for a traffic stop, and is not probable cause for a search.

Thank goodness, because if police were allowed to profile like this, every middle aged white man wearing a Hawaiian shirt would be stopped and searched for weapons.

LOL--CC profiling...

Actually, that's probably not something we want to put in their heads. It may just start happening...

Mr H

<<every middle aged white man wearing a Hawaiian shirt would be stopped and searched for weapons.>>

HEY!!!!!!!

;-))

I wear them every weekday in July, and most Fridays the rest of the year!

OKokokokok... I might be armed on occasion. But, thankfully, drugs have never been involved.

Dreamer

I wear them every weekday in July, and most Fridays the rest of the year!

OKokokokok... I might be armed on occasion. But, thankfully, drugs have never been involved.

I don't think any drug connection was implied. Only that slightly oversized Hawaiian shirts are sort of the "summer uniform" for a LOT of middle-aged men who CC because the patters break up the printing outlines. They make it easier for "big guys" to CC easier, and also make it easier for skinny guys like me to CC a full-sized firearm more comfortably, without printing.

Loud or busy print shirts--especially when a little over-sized, also let us carry concealed without having to resort to "deep cover" rigs or subcompact firearms...

Of course, if you can OC in the summer, there's no "functional excuse" for Hawaiin shirts, and they are just a "fashion statement"... ;)

And that's an example of First Amendment expression where I am a firm believer that LOUDER is better... :D

Last edited:

Mas49.56

Hahaha that's me some days.:dude: Glock, two spare mags, belt blade and no one sees a thing with those shirts.

Last edited: