Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carry areas in La crosse.

Post imported post

Does anyone know all the areas in la crosse and surrounding area that a person can open carry? Can some comprize a list and post it on the forum?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

According to state law you can open carry everywhere except private property denied, cars, bars, govt owned property.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    According to state law you can open carry everywhere except private property denied, cars, bars, govt owned property.
    "government owned property" is a bit vague and not totally correct. Let's start again...

Doug you are usually so specific.

Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ), Government Buildings, Establishments with Class B Liquor Licenses (serve Alcohol for consumption on site), Car, and Private Property where you are denied carry by the owner. Government Owned Property is not specifically denied, i.e a county or city parks are generally OK unless you talk to the Portage County Sheriff.

Doug, I'll let you cite the specific codes...insert after here:

Nevermind, I've got it... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

La Crosse, Green Bay, Bumblesticks...they all have the same requirements

Post imported post

What i really wanted is a map of the school zones in la crosse/onalaska. sorry for not stating that.

Banned

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    It's an artificially short list for memorization, like "LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET", or the four elements of common law self-defense.

I repeat them over and over and y'all, Anony Mouse trolls, quibble and carp. that doesn't change the essential truth. Believe nothing that you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.

Post imported post

I don't have a map but some places you can't carry are Valley View Mall,Buffalo Wild Wings andBurger King. Several of ushave carried in La Crosse and Onalaska for a long timewith no trouble. LEO has made some effort to educate themselves on the laws of oc.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Post imported post

For the most part, if you are going anywhere shopping you can carry and not worry about the school zone...like when you park in their parking lot and walk in. If you are walking anywhere, just Google "la crosse wi school" or "onalaska wi school" and look where the schools are.

But really, the law states if you knowingly walk into a school zone...so if you don't know about them, that's your defense. If you were to have a map on you and you walked through a school zone, how are you going to get out of that one?

I personally don't get out of my apartment that often and do anything. The only place I really go is like Wal-Mart, with the occasional Gander Mountain or Kohls or something...so I carry then. If I get food anywhere, it's normally a place that serves alcohol and I can't carry there (without permission).
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Post imported post

gunner05 wrote:
    What i really wanted is a map of the school zones in la crosse/onalaska. sorry for not stating that.
    No, you really don't. The ordinance says 'knowingly' so you REALLY don't want to know where the schools are.

Banned

Post imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
    The ordinance says 'knowingly' so you REALLY don't want to know where the schools are.
    Thank you. Absent intent, mens rea, there is no crime. A philosophical point of law.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    The ordinance says 'knowingly' so you REALLY don't want to know where the schools are.
    Thank you. Absent intent, mens rea, there is no crime. A philosophical point of law.
    so are school district administration buildings considered the same as operating schools?
    "I have a long held belief that a man cannot have too many books, too many wines, or to much ammunition"

~Jeff Cooper~

Banned

Post imported post

Either First Grade thru 12th Grade or government owned. If it was so easy then everyone could do it. Maybe a search will help.

Post imported post

Flash Gordon wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    so are school district administration buildings considered the same as operating schools?
    That's probably a good question for your lawyer. According to a La Crosse Police captain, buildings such as the La Crosse Center that are owned by the city and leased out are government buildings and you can't carry there. So an administrative building is not a k-12 school but is gov't owned. Obviously you can't carry in to the building but as far as the 1000' rule is concerned, you might want to check with your counsel.

Banned

Post imported post

CUOfficer wrote:
    So an administrative building is not a k-12 school but is gov't owned.
    948.605 Gun−free school zones.
    (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
    section:
    [ ... ]
    (b) “School” has the meaning given in s. 948.61 (1) (b).

948.61 Dangerous weapons other than firearms on
    school premises.
    (1) In this section:
    [ ... ]
    (b) “School” means a public, parochial or private school which
    provides an educational program for one or more grades between
    grades 1 and 12 and which is commonly known as an elementary
    school, middle school, junior high school, senior high school or
    high school.

Nursery school and kindergarten are not covered by this statute.

Post imported post

Sorry Doug, I knew that but accidentally stuck it in there anyway!

Post imported post

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.I really do want to know the school zones. Unlike you I do not want to be a felon. Why would you say something so stupid.

Banned

Post imported post

gunner05 wrote:
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse.I really do want to know the school zones. Unlike you I do not want to be a felon. Why would you say something so stupid.
    (2) POSSESSION OF FIREARM IN SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Any individual
    who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual
    knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone is
    guilty of a Class I felony.

Kind'a hard to argue that element if the perp has a map in his pocket or an on-line conversation instructing ignorance.

Post imported post

gunner05 wrote:
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse.*I really do want to know the school zones.* Unlike you I do not want to be a felon. Why would you say something so stupid.
    You are right, ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. Ignorance of the school zone is. A similar case was just thrown out because the OC'er was 946 feet away from school property. The state has to PROVE that you KNOW you were that close.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/46249.html

Post imported post

But does that set a precedence? If another judge and DA had to deal with it would it be the same outcome? I don't want to be the one to find out.
    Former Corporal of Marines.

Post imported post

Gordo wrote:
    But does that set a precedence? If another judge and DA had to deal with it would it be the same outcome? I don't want to be the one to find out.
    Not necessarily, it just shows that you have to KNOW that you are within the school zone and since when you get stopped you won't have a map on you showing the zones and you won't say something stupid like "I knew I was 962 feet from that school" then the prosecution has to prove:

1. You were on public property within 1000 feet of school property.
    2. You KNEW it.

I'm not saying you should go strolling down the street looking for schools and walk by in front of them, all I'm saying is that the nous is on the prosecutor and as long as you aren't stupid you should be OK.

IANAL and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Post imported post

Ok, for me I want to know where those boundries are. Why push the issue with the police and give them a reason to harass youor draw attention to yourself more than you have to by carrying. I would just like to take a walk with out worrying about did I cross that line or not.

Post imported post

gunner05 wrote:
    Ok, for me I want to know where those boundries are. Why push the issue with the police and give them a reason to harass youor draw attention to yourself more than you have to by carrying. I would just like to take a walk with out worrying about did I cross that line or not.
    La Crosse police seem to be very aware of the oc laws. I can only speak for myself but to date I have had no contact with them and I carry somewhere in La Crosse 2 to 3 times a week. With that being said maybe next time will be my first, hope not. Don't forget your voice recorder, just in case. Carry on.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Post imported post

No one has made a school zone map for La Crosse or Onalaska. It's pretty common sense where the schools are. You can't walk from the North Side of La Crosse to downtown without being in several school zones. As for Onalaska, just google school districts in Onalaska, print a map, and use the scale to get a rough idea. If you are that picky you can take a range finder to an object on the edge of school property and be the one to make the first map! There aren't many areas in either city that you could walk your dogs an open carry because of the abundance of schools.

Post imported post

But if you do all the research and either admit it on this forum or publish it you will have removed the reasonable doubt implied that you have to KNOW that you are in a school zone.

Personally I would look to see where schools are but I would go out of my way to NOT measure 1000 feet.

Post imported post

It looks like the La Crosse area has a few newcomers to oc, awesome.If anyone is interested I would be happy to meet you somewhere and assist anyway I can. Sometimes ocing for your first time with someone who has done it before is a good way to break the ice. Just a thought, let me know.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

Post imported post

johnny amish wrote:
    It looks like the La Crosse area has a few newcomers to oc, awesome.*If anyone is interested I would be happy to meet you somewhere and assist anyway I can. Sometimes ocing for your first time with someone who has done it before is a good way to break the ice. Just a thought, let me know.
    Good job Johnny!

It is MUCH easier with someone else the 1st time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast